Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, regarding the Autopilot limitation of 45mph on surface streets, I have yet to see that message even though I'm on 2.9.40 and have tried several times on "roads without a center divider or residential roads".

In the below image, you can see that I'm on a 4-lane road without a divider, yet I was able to set Autopilot to 55mph and it didn't complain:

Thanks Marc, though you're traveling below 45 and it's a 25 limit. Any way to try >45 in a >45 limit? I know that's not exactly possible in town... ;-)

Sure, but only if the version doesn't include restrictions to autopilot. If the version doesn't actually have the restriction listed in the release notes, then I've no issue updating.

I was at Charlotte this morning for a friend's delivery and he got 2.9.12 on an AP car. I don't know what version was on the other two cars. We will have to see if there are widespread restrictions applied or just overzealous release notes.

Sure, but only if the version doesn't include restrictions to autopilot. If the version doesn't actually have the restriction listed in the release notes, then I've no issue updating.

You may have a tough decision to make, if things continue the way some seem to be reporting things now. There are several reports, in another thread (see below) of the stated restrictions (the ones included in the release notes) not actually seeming to have been implemented. In other words, the release notes may include the restrictions, but anecdotal evidence may be that there actually aren't any.

Not sure what to make of this.

I picked out a nearby 2 lane country road with a few turns in it. No center divider, just the usual line painted in the middle. Speed limit was 65 so set the cruise control to 60 and then enabled AutoPilot. The S then proceeded to stay right at 60 and follow the road just fine.

So I'm not sure what the deal is with the 45mph restriction.

I did the same. In addition, I did a test and can enable autosteer on residential roads with 2.9.40.

Thanks Marc, though you're traveling below 45 and it's a 25 limit. Any way to try >45 in a >45 limit? I know that's not exactly possible in town... ;-)

I did manage to get up to 55mph on the same road, but the speed limit is (apparently) 25mph though no signs are posted. I'm assuming it's implied given the type and location of the road.

Someone with 2.9.40 will need to test this on undivided roads with higher speed limits. Until I get back up to the mountains, which won't happen for another week or so, I can't think of other roads to test this on.

I did manage to get up to 55mph on the same road, but the speed limit is (apparently) 25mph though no signs are posted. I'm assuming it's implied given the type and location of the road.

Someone with 2.9.40 will need to test this on undivided roads with higher speed limits. Until I get back up to the mountains, which won't happen for another week or so, I can't think of other roads to test this on.
Thanks. Andy's post appears to indicate the restrictions aren't there too...

I just don't see what problem a 45mph limitation on surface streets solves. None of the crazy irresponsible videos on YouTube are prevented by that limitation.

I just did yet another long drive (about 200 miles today) with mostly autopilot (v7.0 2.7.77) with only about 20% being divided highway/interstate driving and probably 90% with autopilot enabled. It worked well where I expected it to work well. Lots of two or four lane undivided roads with speed limits from 45 to 65 MPH mostly on this trip where the normal traffic speed is pretty much never less than 50 MPH. My average speed was easily 60+ MPH.

Autopilot did its job where I expected it to, and I helped it through some tighter curves and some areas where there were intersections and other places where it would be unsure how to proceed safely, which is completely expected. IMO it worked well in all cases where I figured it would work well.

A 45 MPH restriction on "surface streets" or "undivided highways" or whatever would have forced me to not use the feature at all today aside from the short portion of actual interstate highway driving. I hate to break this to you, Tesla, but I actually use the feature and like it as it is because it's awesome, and it works very well... especially once its limitations are pretty much fully understood. Adding restrictions on how it can be used on certain roads based on whatever criteria is just going to cause headaches and make people not actually use autopilot at all. Maybe that's what they're going for... if no one uses it, can't possibly be any incidents. :rolleyes:

Way back in this thread, we had a discussion on v7 efficiency and some thought that certain things were excluded from the calculation. Well, in 2.9.12, the BMS definitely affects the numbers. Last night I forgot to plug in. As I started my drive this morning, I had 40 miles since last charge at 312 Wh/mi. My "since" trip meter was at 1,087 for 0.1 miles (my driveway). I do NOT have preconditioning turned on. During the night, the car must have burned some energy to get lumped into the next energy interval.

I've had that happen. This was from about a year ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450103923.348235.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, there is some back-story to that.

I had mistakenly range charged to 100% the night before, so I went out and cranked up everything -- lights, heater to max, seat heaters and ran those full blast to bleed down the energy from 100%.

That image was from the next morning when I started my trip.

:)

Well I saw it all the time in 6.2. But I was charging at 120v then, so the car would always be plugged in basically. But last night I had 200 miles, forgot to plug in, and had nothing running until I sat in the car and took off. So some BMS must be counted for that power use level.

Way back in this thread, we had a discussion on v7 efficiency and some thought that certain things were excluded from the calculation. Well, in 2.9.12, the BMS definitely affects the numbers. Last night I forgot to plug in. As I started my drive this morning, I had 40 miles since last charge at 312 Wh/mi. My "since" trip meter was at 1,087 for 0.1 miles (my driveway). I do NOT have preconditioning turned on. During the night, the car must have burned some energy to get lumped into the next energy interval.

i have experienced this (not @ Hank's level!) since delivery, 2012. I do not believe it is vampire drain factoring in. It is initial high usage by a cold battery, or bad ability to read precise metrics on cold battery, or both. Always worse in cold weather. My first .1 mile always 450 to 1500 wh/mi.

i have experienced this (not @ Hank's level!) since delivery, 2012. I do not believe it is vampire drain factoring in. It is initial high usage by a cold battery, or bad ability to read precise metrics on cold battery, or both. Always worse in cold weather. My first .1 mile always 450 to 1500 wh/mi.

On 6.2, I got it in the summer too.
pUccJZs.jpg

GMF1tUN.jpg

Last edited:
I just don't see what problem a 45mph limitation on surface streets solves. None of the crazy irresponsible videos on YouTube are prevented by that limitation.
My thoughts exactly. I suspect Elon is only implementing this to calm the media by making it appear as if something is getting done to limit autosteer. This is one of Tesla's major achievements and providing any real limitations on functionality would seriously hurt AP's acceptance. This may only be a temporary limitation; maybe it will never be released.

Warning: pointless whine...

So now I got the forth notification of a new software available on my car. And each time starts the clock until it stops nagging you. I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's four weeks of clicking the little 'x' before it gives up. But then whenever it downloads a new build, it starts again :-(

Yeah, I know, not a problem anyone cares about, but I needed to share, anyway :)

So now I got the forth notification of a new software available on my car. And each time starts the clock until it stops nagging you. I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's four weeks of clicking the little 'x' before it gives up. But then whenever it downloads a new build, it starts again :-(

Yeah, I know, not a problem anyone cares about, but I needed to share, anyway :)

Actually good to know. I wasn't aware that the nagging would ever actually stop.

Actually good to know. I wasn't aware that the nagging would ever actually stop.

Back during the time when people didn't want 5.8(??) because of the removal of the air suspension auto lowering I seem to remember several reporting that they no longer got nags. And at least one wasn't able to update after this was all resolved and had to go to a SC to get the latest firmware installed.