Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has 2.7.56. It absolutely, definitely, slows for (some) curves.

Yes, but this seems to be a change in behavior to TACC, not necessarily related to Auto Steer.

In previous versions of the firmware, with TACC engaged, it would take curves at the set speed. In version 2.7.56, with TACC engaged and Auto Steer not engaged, if you attempt to take a curve at a speed higher than the car likes, it slows down. So this is a TACC function, not an Auto Steer function.

What software revision do you have?
The original 2.7.56 does not know how to slow for curves, I think.
Also, the "learning" might be more myth than fact.

The AP software has a long way to mature. The original is just for
ideal conditions and easy-to-handle situations, gentle curves
at easy speeds ... nowhere near what you can handle manually.

I'm on 2.9.40 and it never slowed down for that particular curve until it hit it and drifted into the adjacent lane.

anyone else noticed that 2.9.40 autopilot added nagging? - it nags me every minute asking me to hold steering wheel (display at the bottom), if I ignore it for like over 15s or so, it beeps twice to remind me, if still no action, it beeps three times, then four times, then start slowing down - all within a minute or so.
I also noticed that if I interacted with the car in any way - like skip a song, change lane, etc, it resets the 1 minute timer.
But otherwise, it nags me every minute.

Before gotten 2.9.40, I had the original 2.7.56 (and never got any other upgrade notice after that) and it did not nag me unless when it could not identify the road condition.

anyone else noticed this? thanks

anyone else noticed that 2.9.40 autopilot added nagging? - it nags me every minute asking me to hold steering wheel (display at the bottom), if I ignore it for like over 15s or so, it beeps twice to remind me, if still no action, it beeps three times, then four times, then start slowing down - all within a minute or so.
I also noticed that if I interacted with the car in any way - like skip a song, change lane, etc, it resets the 1 minute timer.

Before gotten 2.9.40, I had the original 2.7.56 (and never got any other upgrade notice after that) and it did not nag me unless when it could not identify the road condition.

Many people have claimed a timed nag on previous versions, when in fact we know there was none, is it possible you're incorrect on this? Could you use a stopwatch and tell us exactly what the time is on this new timed nag? (if it is in fact time based it is likely to always be at exactly the same time interval)

As I've said elsewhere, there will be no further updates to my car if they have crippled AP in any way whatsoever unless they provide another new feature that's worth more.

Did my weekly drive to see my dad in his nursing home. This was the first with 2.9.40

Got nagged in the usual places. Did not feel like it had increased. Amount of nagging was maybe 2-3 times in 45 mins

This is so weird. I was watching the clock on the dash and it happens every minute. The same highway I drove before there was no nagging at all. Today is sunny with no issue. It has nothing to do with curves or marking. It does it on both highway and local today. Same interval as I was watching the clock.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that when it nags me, if I put my hand on the wheel with very slight force then it goes away and give me another minute. Any interaction resets the timer as I experimented with that too. It does not bother me much as it does not need me to hold it for more than a second.
i used to mess around music a lot but not today so I saw the clear pattern
i will time it next time

This is so weird. I was watching the clock on the dash and it happens every minute. The same highway I drove before there was no nagging at all. Today is sunny with no issue. It has nothing to do with curves or marking. It does it on both highway and local today. Same interval as I was watching the clock.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that when it nags me, if I put my hand on the wheel with very slight force then it goes away and give me another minute. Any interaction resets the timer as I experimented with that too. It does not bother me much as it does not need me to hold it for more than a second.
i will time it next time

Maybe the next time you could ask someone to take a video of this for you for a few minutes and post it. I'm on 2.9.40 and not seeing a timed nag.

- - - Updated - - -

i will time it next time

Is your car dirty? Maybe the camera is being obstructed by something. Same was suggested to me when my car became quite cranky on the exact same dad run. My car was clean, but, the wind was quite strong.

Again, use a stopwatch, tell us the exact time of the nag. If it is timed this will become obvious very quickly. So far many people have claimed a timed nag, but nobody has yet taken a stopwatch to it and been able to tell us exactly what the timing is supposed to be. Until they do that very simple check, I will not believe the nag is actually timed.

I've not seen any increase in nagging. During my standard 30 or so minute drive into Salt Lake on the freeway I always get one nag at the same place each time and sometimes, but not always, a bit later. Certainly not one per minute.

One thing I have noticed is when the "Hold the wheel" notice shows up on the instrument panel it is not always accompanied by the beep that usually happens at the same time. In those cases the beep does sound eventually if I don't hold the wheel.

Interesting, because since I got this update last week i have noticed significantly less nagging on common routes that I drive. Perhaps an algorithm update that is affecting different route segments differently.

One thing I have noticed is when the "Hold the wheel" notice shows up on the instrument panel it is not always accompanied by the beep that usually happens at the same time. In those cases the beep does sound eventually if I don't hold the wheel.

FYI: from my extensive testing with AP over the last 2 months, the "Hold the wheel" message always comes up on the IC without a beep the first time around.

If you don't happen to take action by tugging the steering wheel one way or the other (either because you ignored it, or more likely didn't notice it the first time around give the lack of beep - which initially happened to me very often) the message will repeat but this time with a audible double-beep - which also mutes whatever audio you had playing for a second or two.

I had 2.9.40 updated to my car when it was in for service last week. My first time to test it on my "KNOWN" route to test for the nagging feature was today. I drove my normal 48 mile commute on I-985 to I-85 to I-285 in Atlanta GA. My one normal nag that has been there since day one WAS still there but I had NO OTHER nags. So, as far as expressway driving 2.9.40 did NOT add any more nagging to auto-pilot.

FYI: from my extensive testing with AP over the last 2 months, the "Hold the wheel" message always comes up on the IC without a beep the first time around.

If you don't happen to take action by tugging the steering wheel one way or the other (either because you ignored it, or more likely didn't notice it the first time around give the lack of beep - which initially happened to me very often) the message will repeat but this time with a audible double-beep - which also mutes whatever audio you had playing for a second or two.

I also believe this is the way it works.

Sort of. It comes up without a beep IF it still has adequeate data to drive safely, for example this is the way it works when entering curves.
It comes up with a beep if it's a little unsure because it's losing the data it needs to drive safely, for example the lines are fading out on it and it needs some reassurance sooner rather than later
and it comes up with take over immediately if it completely loses all data it needs to drive, foe example the lane markings end suddenly, the car it was using to follow suddenly accelerates or swerves etc.

Each of these levels will escalate to the next one if ignored, but any of them can happen immediately without the lower level warning happening first.