Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one allowed the car to parallel park itself yet?
I'm about to write up a full review of my experience with autopilot. But since you asked, I'll post about that here first. In short, it was absolutely worthless. The plan was to take a video and post it here, but that never happened.

I went to a shopping center that I knew always has parallel parking. I read through the instructions on the release notes, as well as the instructions in the manual (which are more detailed) before trying to use the system. There were numerous spots where there were two cars on either side of a parking spot with a curb to park against, exactly what auto parking asks for.

I tried many times, in many spots. For the first while, I thought maybe the spot was too big, and Tesla expected me to be able to do that myself. Then, I thought maybe a few spots were too small for the car to be able to handle it. But then I just kept driving around, spot after spot, a few of them had to be perfect! I drove slowly, a little faster, all the way up to 15 mph. Sometimes I drove right next to the parked cars, sometimes I left a little distance. I went around in circles to the same spots, trying different combinations of speed and distance. I probably looked like an idiot, if anyone was paying attention. I basically tried everything I could to get the car to recognize the spot. All of this, for nothing. Not on one single occasion did the car recognize a parking spot and allow me to parallel park. Big disappointment!

If someone figures this out, please let me know how in the world you did it!

Please, please! New owners read this. It describes what we know about update process. Including time frames to deploy (always longer then expected), and sequence (appears random, though some releases targeted towards cars with affected hardware... e.g., auto pilot in this case). Do not worry about days. If you want to start worrying, give it at least 2 weeks. Don't believe Tesla's quick deployment until we see it happen. All prior releases have taken weeks or months.

Where did you find this? I searched all over the Model S UI homepage, but it does not show up anywhere. Maybe if this was in an obvious place people who are new to the forum would be aware of it.

It mentions wifi gets priority. I never connect mine to wifi, but could. Do you know if I go connect now it will help get priority at all, or is it too late for that? Not sure if users have reported this in the past?

I tried many times, in many spots. For the first while, I thought maybe the spot was too big, and Tesla expected me to be able to do that myself. Then, I thought maybe a few spots were too small for the car to be able to handle it. But then I just kept driving around, spot after spot, a few of them had to be perfect! I drove slowly, a little faster, all the way up to 15 mph. Sometimes I drove right next to the parked cars, sometimes I left a little distance. I went around in circles to the same spots, trying different combinations of speed and distance. I probably looked like an idiot, if anyone was paying attention. I basically tried everything I could to get the car to recognize the spot. All of this, for nothing. Not on one single occasion did the car recognize a parking spot and allow me to parallel park. Big disappointment!

I had the exact same experience. Tried four different situations where there was 1) two cars parked with a space open in-between 2) a curb, and never got the P icon to show on the cluster. Looked through the settings didn't see a way to toggle on or off.

I'm about to write up a full review of my experience with autopilot. But since you asked, I'll post about that here first. In short, it was absolutely worthless. The plan was to take a video and post it here, but that never happened.

I went to a shopping center that I knew always has parallel parking. I read through the instructions on the release notes, as well as the instructions in the manual (which are more detailed) before trying to use the system. There were numerous spots where there were two cars on either side of a parking spot with a curb to park against, exactly what auto parking asks for.

If someone figures this out, please let me know how in the world you did it!

It also didn't work for me though I just tried a single slow roll past a good spot. I hadn't the time or inclination to do repeat trials. The one possibly-interesting difference vs your trials is I was testing a bonefide street curb spot (where I've parallel parked before). I noticed that the ultrasonics did "see" the bracketing cars.

Please, please! New owners read this. It describes what we know about update process. Including time frames to deploy (always longer then expected), and sequence (appears random, though some releases targeted towards cars with affected hardware... e.g., auto pilot in this case). Do not worry about days. If you want to start worrying, give it at least 2 weeks. Don't believe Tesla's quick deployment until we see it happen. All prior releases have taken weeks or months.

While I appreciate tomas trying to settle down those anxious for the update, and appreciate his having provided the link, I also have to disagree with the last sentence above. There have definitely been a few updates recently that made it to all affected cars in a matter of a few days. Most notably the security update sent around the time of Def Con was completed in just a couple of days.

So while tomas' general message of patience is valid, some updates have been completed in much less time than "weeks or months."

So far 39 entries in the tracker. Every single one to an auto pilot car (no surprise there). They seem to be heavily leaning towards 'D's, but that could be that in the "AP" population we do have a majority of 'D's.
Given that it's been about 8h since the first person reported v7 this seems indeed a rather massive roll-out. Definitely not the "trickle" we've seen in the past.

I'm still hoping that people will post screen shots of the various apps so we get a better idea of the new UI.

I drove 15 minutes on the highway this morning without a single nag. Never touched the wheel.

So that WAS YOU traversing ALL FOUR lanes (2 driving, along with an emergency lane on each side) on rt. 64 this morning west bound leaving the highway strew with multiple 100+ car pile-ups in your wake!!!!

image.jpeg

Thank GAUD we were traveling east bound!

I'm still hoping that people will post screen shots of the various apps so we get a better idea of the new UI.

Pictures soon, but let me say that I am very impressed with the new UI. Sure it is different, and "flat", but overall it is just cleaner, bolder, less cluttered, more readable. And the structure is really quite the same. It is really easy to adapt to the new app architecture, and migrates naturally from own's previous preferences. All the Edvard Munch posts about the end of the Tesla UI joy were quite overdone, if not just plain wrong, IMHO! [OK, I am going to get it now.]

The new car status app has individual TIRE PRESSURES!!!! That is the first big easter egg I have found.

Any noted improvement to the trip planner or energy graph?

Have to find something to look forward to in a classic p85

In 6.2, the trip planner would always pick the supercharger that's 10 miles from my house as the first stop whenever I was doing a long distance route, even if the car was already charged 100%. With 7.0 it routed me properly, to the first supercharger I actually have to use, 180 miles away. So yeah, definitely some improvement.

Is there a certain order they are releasing the software in? I was one of the first deliveries with autopilot sensors... but that was because I bought before the announcement and just got lucky. Delivered Sept 30th. Another user on here with same exact car make up got delivered the day before with no sensors. So I know I am close to one of the first. I expected to be on of the first to get my software update as well?

No one has ever figured out a pattern to what cars receive updates when. I seems to be different with each update. Elon said this would roll out over 5 days, which is faster than most non-critical updates. Just be patient.