Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my 55 mile commute. Freaking amazing. No doubts about it. 2 tiny nags in 35 min of highway driving. Follows cars on city streets ok. Outstanding job Elon.

October 15 2015 is the day driving has changed forever!

Mine is version 2.7.56. I also used during the morning commute and also have the hold steering wheel message. For me if I didn't have my hands on the steering wheel after a couple of minutes a little flag would pop up from the bottom and tell me to "hold steering wheel." It is not the same as the red flag that say "take over steering immediately." It is a little flag with blue letters. If you hold the wheel for a few seconds it goes away quickly. If you ignore after a brief period a tone begins to sound. When you wait for the tone it seems you have to wait for a longer period for the "hold steering wheel" to go away.

I had mine drive me to work this morning as well. Mostly on highway (rt 80) and it did great. It was in control probably 75% of my trip. Did better on the highway than the side streets. While doing auto steer it did ask me to hold the wheel, like a nag. But it wasn't an "every X minutes thing". It went at least 10 or 15 minutes on it's own. Then during one stretch it asked twice in a couple minutes. It seems like it's based on how confident it can handle the road.

To those who have tried the Autopilot so far:

Does the car automatically adjust to new posted speed limits?
i.e. with autopilot engaged, when you drive past a speed sign, does the car automatically change its speed accordingly without driver input?

I know this is not the case with TACC only, but I do not see why it could not be implemented as the car clearly knows the speed limit (in that it displays the speed limit on the IC)

Last edited:
I didn't have that experience at all. It only told me to take over when it was in an intersection and it was confused. Overall, it was a really great experience for me. I've driven around 30 miles and probably 80% of it was done by the car.

Hmmmm. Different states, different rules? But I didn't experiment with it much - I put my hands on the wheel more because I was scared. When I drive home tonight I'll give it another try.

Any reports about V7.0 besides auto steering?

Are there any reports about the new features of 7.0 besides auto steer?

• How well does auto parking work? Will it usually not hit the curbs?
  • Is there a difference noticeable in the climate controls performance? Behavior at slow speeds?
  • Does the vehicle hold work as described?
  • Anything else?

Sounds like a bit of a change of tone for you :). Didn't you have experience with some other system? (Was it the S550?) How does it compare?

Yes. I left mb distronic plus for this. And I am way satisfied. Although I've had 11 mos and 33k miles already w/o auto steer. I will truly enjoy it now even more.

55 mile commute. 40 miles on interstate/ DC beltway. Maybe 5 sec of nag. Did traffic. Lane change etc all flawless.

On secondary major roads again. Quiet flawless.

On single lane country curvy roads. Did good if your at speed limit. If your too fast it can't think. I would say 6/10 unless your following a car then 9/10

I'm happy.

Last edited:
Having been around the block with it once (literally, around the block) here is my capsule review:

I hate hate hate hate the new, tiny, not-vertically-centered digital-only speedometer. Why not just remove the speedo altogether? Maybe they're saving that for 7.1. Other than that, seems OK.

If anyone was still wondering, the new layout is imposed even when TACC is not engaged.

PS: I hate the new speedo. Did I mention?

To those who have tried the Autopilot so far:

Does the car automatically adjust to new posted speed limits?
i.e. with autopilot engaged, when you drive past a speed sign, does the car automatically change its speed accordingly without driver input?

I know this is not the case with TACC only, but I do not see why it could not be implemented as the car clearly knows the speed limit (in that it displays the speed limit on the IC)

No. It does not.

First drive with the AP system. It's incredibly well executed. I am blown away. Short of additional radar units, I'm not sure how they can improve on it very much.

100 kudos to the Tesla team.

Now I have to learn to relax a bit. I can see how I may be inclined to keep a couple of fingertips on the wheel, just so I know what's generally happening. But, as a GA pilot I've always done the same thing when flying an aircraft under autopilot... just in case. No matter what it's still a machine and things do happen.