Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the video showing an improvement, do you feel that Autopilot is learning over time?
I do!

I travelled the same 110 km of highway yesterday that I've done several times since AP arrived. The spots where AP tried to swerve to follow left turn bays, forcing me to take quick corrective action, didn't cause AP to flinch this time.

I'm not sure if I had to 'teach it' more than once for it to learn the lesson and I have no way of knowing whether another Tesla has been over that stretch and done the same thing (thinking about whether it takes more than one car and more than one instance to learn). Given the few Tesla's in the area, it's possible I've been the only one.

I also wonder whether AP might be functioning even when not activated... but passively, just watching and learning. THAT information sent back to the mother ship when the driver does something that AP thinks it would have done differently, would be very useful and would speed up the improvements.

At this point I think that learning how to balance the weight of your arms on the wheel to prevent it from deactivating, and prevent shoulder fatigue caused by hovering on the wheel, is the way to go. I'm finding that since I've found the balance, I have both hands on the wheel as per normal and allow the AP to look after the fine-tuning necessary to hold a safe position in the lane. I believe this is what was intended and sitting with your hands in your lap, waiting for a failure, is a bad plan (and we all know we've done it... :cool:)!

I also wonder whether AP might be functioning even when not activated... but passively, just watching and learning. THAT information sent back to the mother ship when the driver does something that AP thinks it would have done differently, would be very useful and would speed up the improvements.

This is precisely when it does learn. When enabled, it learns nothing unless the driver interacts.

A photo please?!

Great news that Tesla is willing to make minor UI changes before 7.1 to address the most egregious 7.0 UI faults.
dash.JPG

They also added the temperature back. :)

View attachment 99037
They also added the temperature back. :)

Great -thanks! That's a big step in the right direction. I'd just like to get Trip A/B back instead of those silly icons, and I wouldn't complain about anything else.

Oh, right -- except turning off those blindingly bright headlights on the toy car. Uh... and putting Rated Range back where it was.

Great -thanks! That's a big step in the right direction. I'd just like to get Trip A/B back instead of those silly icons, and I wouldn't complain about anything else.

If they're going to add Trip A/B back to the IC, it should be under a separate "app". I don't want them on my IC - I'm a huge fan of the automatic trip. It's something I've wanted since I bought the car. It also gives me a lot of insight I wasn't getting with the other trip app, because it resets each direction on a drive. I rarely reset trip A.. except on trips. This way, I still have my trip A and B, plus the current drive.

So far I've only tested in heavy rain in the dark, on curvy small roads. The car drove like it was drunk and would have crashed 10+ times hadn't I taken control.
This is of course normal and to be expected, but I'm very surprised that Tesla even allows activation of autosteer when the car have basically no visibility/sense of the road. Stupid people exists, and someone is definetively going to let AP crash their car. Might not be smart of Tesla to allow AP when it's not very confident on line markings. I'm thankful though, since it allows me to experiment.

Can't wait to try it out when the conditions are better. Pretty impressive that it was even able to drive most of the time without crashing. Even I had trouble seeing the road. :)

If they're going to add Trip A/B back to the IC, it should be under a separate "app". I don't want them on my IC - I'm a huge fan of the automatic trip. It's something I've wanted since I bought the car. It also gives me a lot of insight I wasn't getting with the other trip app, because it resets each direction on a drive. I rarely reset trip A.. except on trips. This way, I still have my trip A and B, plus the current drive.
+1. I learned to like the automatic trip as well. While headlight is being shown on the toy car, why don't we show the high beam and low beam as well, then we save two icons?:tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Lane change requires hands on wheel. Is this new?
It is new to Finland, and I like it a lot, hope they come to USA soon with 2.7.77. The sooner the better. :biggrin:

Last edited:
So far I've only tested in heavy rain in the dark, on curvy small roads. The car drove like it was drunk and would have crashed 10+ times hadn't I taken control.
This is of course normal and to be expected, but I'm very surprised that Tesla even allows activation of autosteer when the car have basically no visibility/sense of the road. Stupid people exists, and someone is definetively going to let AP crash their car. Might not be smart of Tesla to allow AP when it's not very confident on line markings. I'm thankful though, since it allows me to experiment.

Can't wait to try it out when the conditions are better. Pretty impressive that it was even able to drive most of the time without crashing. Even I had trouble seeing the road. :)

In the U.S., you cannot activate autosteer if the car doesn't have a good sense of the lanes and thus, the lane markings on the instrument cluster are not present. Once it gets a good sense of the lanes, they are drawn around the car icon and you can engage them. Perhaps the lines were there and the car had an incorrect "good sense" of the lanes Ted?

Might not be smart of Tesla to allow AP when it's not very confident on line markings. I'm thankful though, since it allows me to experiment.
I'm lucky there's lots of road paint here, but if you and others can teach it, the collective learning will build the high-res maps. That's the story and I'm in the "believe" camp after 1st week.

As for this "can't believe they let us do it" stuff, I am ill from hearing this. You can also press a big pedal in a dumb car to make a heavy piece of metal drive through a house and kill people. Is it amazing they let you activate the throttle pedal at any time ?

You are driving at all times, period.

- - - Updated - - -

Both clock and temperature are shown, this is an European AP version:
View attachment 99042

I would be disappointed if these come back to the dash, especially since the temperature is exactly where I want my mini energy bar to go, right beside battery.

Classic version, but browsing the web, it seems AP also have it.
- Tesla | Electrek
- CNET on Twitter:
(same screenshots though)

Don't know if it's the same build, or an inbetween one.

I don't think either of those screenshots are the new .77 build.

CR3YfxXWIAASn0F.jpg

They're the leaked unknown version of the firmware from the first day of release when Tesla posted the announcement on their blog and then retracted that image. I don't believe any v7 build has that energy graph. Also, the temp is on the right side of the battery in .77, not the left. Same with the digital clock, it's on the left side of PRND, not the right.