Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How was the traffic density when you tried? Yesterday I used AP for the first time in traffic that was heavy, with little spacing, but fast moving (75 MPH). I changed lanes twice during the trip. Both times the turn signal failed to initiate the shift immediately, so I nudged the wheel and that did it. I figured the AP didn't like the relatively small space I was trying to move into, even though the cars in the other lane were going the same speed as I and the space I was trying to move into was not closing. This is similar to the behavior you are describing. But on my return trip I was in very light traffic on the same road, and the turn signal initiated lane changes as it always had with no problems.

No traffic at all. Actually I changed lane into oncoming traffic lane (common in Norway). When the lane painting went from short stripes, to long stripes it wouldn't let me change lanes. Smart.

I added a little clip: [video=vimeo;143521170]https://vimeo.com/143521170[/video]

Last edited:
Hmm... making the lane change require holding the wheel is a step backwards. If it is doing so to ensure the driver is there....... isn't initiating the lane change telling the car that the driver is there? Makes no sense. I'll definitely wait and see if this happens on US versions before applying the next update.

Both times the turn signal failed to initiate the shift immediately, so I nudged the wheel and that did it. I figured the AP didn't like the relatively small space I was trying to move into, even though the cars in the other lane were going the same speed as I and the space I was trying to move into was not closing. This is similar to the behavior you are describing. But on my return trip I was in very light traffic on the same road, and the turn signal initiated lane changes as it always had with no problems.
Nice!

Has anyone been able to successfully complete an Auto Lane Change under 25 mph (about 40 km/h)? I was on the highway earlier today and it wouldn't work for me, although the adjacent lane to which I was trying to change had no cars for at least 5 cars length in either direction. Speeding up to at least 30 mph worked fine.

I didn't see a minimum speed for the auto lane change function in the release notes, and I wasn't able to find any mention of it in the manual either. So I guess there is no minimum limit for which it should work?

EDIT: reading more carefully at the manual, I found this note:

Driving speed is at least 30 mph (50 km/h) in situations where a vehicle is not detected in front of Model S. If following a vehicle ahead, Auto Lane Change works at any speed.

Which is interesting because I WAS following another vehicle, but not sure if my car was tracking it at the time. Hmmm, more testing needed then!

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to successfully complete an Auto Lane Change under 25 mph (about 40 km/h)? I was on the highway earlier today and it wouldn't work for me, although the adjacent lane to which I was trying to change had no cars for at least 5 cars length in either direction. Speeding up to at least 30 mph worked fine.

I didn't see a minimum speed for the auto lane change function in the release notes, and I wasn't able to find any mention of it in the manual either. So I guess there is no minimum limit for which it should work?

EDIT: reading more carefully at the manual, I found this note:

Which is interesting because I WAS following another vehicle, but not sure if my car was tracking it at the time. Hmmm, more testing needed then!

I've found it inconsistent even at 40-45 mph. Sometimes it will not execute a lane change then 10 seconds later I'll try again at the same speed and it works. I've just chalked it up to it being a bug or some other factor I haven't thought of.

They must have felt bad that I was the last to get updates for so long. :wink:

This, along with they grabbed the current build through the software diagnostics pipeline rather than an older one. For a one off sounds reasonable: laziness meets most attention paid to whatever issue your car balked at, since they're more familiar with the recent release anyway. No sense back porting fixes they don't intend to back port.

One thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned was that the walk-away door lock delay seems shorter. Before, sometimes when walking in from the garage, I'd wait a little bit at the door to watch it lock. This time, after checking out the v7 changes, there was hardly any wait. Could anyone confirm that it actually changed and isn't just me?

Yep, confirmed over a week ago :wink:

In other 7.0 news that are not related to AP (those who don't have AP might be feeling left out of this thread), I noticed a change in behavior in walk-away door locks.

In 6.x releases, it took about 20 seconds after walking away at least a dozen feet from the car for the doors to lock.

Now with 7.0, it seems that this takes about half as long. I haven't timed it yet, but it seems to be about 10 seconds.

Anyone else notice that?

Today while driving my MS, I got to thinking about the "dock" or menu bar across the top of the 17". On my Mac (which sports a similar dock by default on the bottom of the screen), I moved long ago to a left-side dock. My reasoning is that my pointer is more frequently on that side of the screen, and towards the top, than it is on the bottom center.

On the MS, it seems even more useful to have the dock stuck on the left side instead of across the top. It's closer to the driver and easier to access. There's no reaching necessary. The status bar could stay atop the screen. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Today while driving my MS, I got to thinking about the "dock" or menu bar across the top of the 17". On my Mac (which sports a similar dock by default on the bottom of the screen), I moved long ago to a left-side dock. My reasoning is that my mouse is more frequently on that side of the screen, and towards the top, than it is on the bottom center.

On the MS, it seems even more useful to have the dock stuck on the left side instead of across the top. It's closer to the driver and easier to access. There's no reaching necessary. The status bar could stay atop the screen. Thoughts?

IMO, in a portrait display, that would take up too much width, even if it is the most ergonomic solution.

I dislike the icon dock in any position, personally. Would be way worse on a side for sure.

I personally would much rather be able to have a more android-like interface where the status bar is mostly constant, and can jump to a home screen or whatever to open things, or pull down the status bar, or whatever. This way my 17" navigation screen could truly take up nearly the whole screen, among other things.

Same for the bottom static buttons. To me there is no reason, IMO all these top and bottom controls/icons (aside from the status bar at the top, and maybe some fixed navigation button at the bottom similar in size to the top status bar) need to be permanently on the screen. Would love to have a more full screen option.

I considered the space consumption, but I don't know of an app that uses the allotted space anyway. Nav would be the main thing impacted, and I suppose since that's almost always on (and full screen), it could be an issue. The other nonsense has plenty of space to be compressed.

V7.0 comments and suggestions:
1. I'm getting used to the new format of the "driving dash", but certain aspects I think could be improved:
a. The range indicator (miles left) is so small you really need to look at it closely to see it.
b. The Usage/Regen indicator is so small it's hard to see when and how much you are regen-ing.
2. Am I the only one thinking the large screen response to touches is extremely sluggish? Several times I've push a "button" a second or third time thinking it didn't get the first push and then all 2 or 3 register.
3. I like the Auto Steer, but it's a bit unnerving in heavy traffic. It performs well, but with so many other drivers around, I'm not comfortable with it.
- Also, when Auto Steer is on and putting your hands on the wheel, you end up fighting with it. Much easier to pay attention and let it do its thing. I'll save this feature for road trips.

Aside: Consumer Reports: I've had no problems with anything but one bad radar unit in 10+ months and 11,600 miles.

Happy Camper with V7.0 except the User Interface sluggishness.

V7.0 comments and suggestions:
2. Am I the only one thinking the large screen response to touches is extremely sluggish? Several times I've push a "button" a second or third time thinking it didn't get the first push and then all 2 or 3 register.
The car's computers are busy so I get a slowdown (eg. I'm playing a FLAC while NAV is downloading satellite imagery and doing gosh-knows-what-else while I want the interior lights on) but as long as the user knows what's up this becomes far less frustrating -- I have a pet peeve about User Interfaces that don't clearly signal a button press -- the FIRST action (before ANY possible CPU-intensive code) after a button press should be to indicate to the user that the input is received. iOS can darken a button for instance (not perfect but it's something).

The .77 release has put clock and temp back on the dash display. I was already used to it on the 17" bar, which now looks empty... I'm so confused why they don't just let users decide. This is not a $199 iPod interface (but that said even Apple provides more control settings).