Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First thing I noticed today since installing 2.16.17 yesterday is I got the best Wh/mi ever on a routine daily drive this morning. Normally I get around 290-295 Wh/mi for a particular 10-mi drive; this morning I got 255 Wh/mi. No difference in driving, temperature, weather, traffic, etc., but a markedly different result on a very routine drive. No idea if this change is at all related to 2.16.17, but it's a good change and I'll take it thank you :)

Now I'm curious if my 90% charge level has increased.

As for a worsening of vampire drain, no idea yet. I try to time the charging of the car to be just early and just late enough into the pre-dawn hours so that when I walk out to the garage the car is either just finishing charging or just finished a couple minutes earlier -- so I don't see the vampire drain. Of course, it was prolly draining all night until the charge started... sigh...

Reactions: Richg
Interesting, I record my daily drives and have noticed no improvement in efficiency with 2.16.17.

Note: It's easy to say "there was no difference in weather, traffic, temperature, etc." but once you start to log this stuff closely you will realize that there are wild variations that you never thought of before.

For example, driving at average 70mph will yield a significantly worse efficiency than an average 65mph. And guess what, it's really hard to know the difference in average speed without taking precise measurement of time driven and distance driven (hint: always drive the same distance over the same stretch of road for consistency, and measure time precisely down to the seconds).

Interesting, I record my daily drives and have noticed no improvement in efficiency with 2.16.17.

Note: It's easy to say "there was no difference in weather, traffic, temperature, etc." but once you start to log this stuff closely you will realize that there are wild variations that you never thought of before.

For example, driving at average 70mph will yield a significantly worse efficiency than an average 65mph. And guess what, it's really hard to know the difference in average speed without taking precise measurement of time driven and distance driven (hint: always drive the same distance over the same stretch of road for consistency, and measure time precisely down to the seconds).

Understood, but when I say I frequently do this same drive, it really is the same drive, on rural roads with 35 and 50mph speed limits and occasional hills. I watch the Wh/mi like a hawk, and today was really surprised at the drop considering no material change versus yesterday in terms of drive, weather, etc.

First thing I noticed today since installing 2.16.17 yesterday is I got the best Wh/mi ever on a routine daily drive this morning. Normally I get around 290-295 Wh/mi for a particular 10-mi drive; this morning I got 255 Wh/mi. No difference in driving, temperature, weather, traffic, etc., but a markedly different result on a very routine drive. No idea if this change is at all related to 2.16.17, but it's a good change and I'll take it thank you :)

Now I'm curious if my 90% charge level has increased.

As for a worsening of vampire drain, no idea yet. I try to time the charging of the car to be just early and just late enough into the pre-dawn hours so that when I walk out to the garage the car is either just finishing charging or just finished a couple minutes earlier -- so I don't see the vampire drain. Of course, it was prolly draining all night until the charge started... sigh...

Range mode on/off?

Hi,

I would very much like to contribute to the tracker data. But I just don't get it: How can I log on to the tracker? What is the "forum handle", where do I get the Pin?

Confused regards
Keith

Keith:
Go to post #32 on this thread and Private Message user HankLloydWright. Hank built the firmware tracker and I am sure he can help you out with some instructions. I did that so long ago I rightly cannot remember what the exact steps were. Glad to have another tracker on board!
ARTinCT

I have had my rated miles not drop for the first couple of miles driven, especially if a charge finished just as I unplugged, but I have never seen it go up (unless going downhill enough to add 3 rated miles). Very odd.

Occasionally I'll park somewhere for about 10-15 minutes, and when I come back to the car I have one more rated mile than when I parked. I think it's just voltage settling, or something like that. I've only noticed it if I park soon after I start driving at the start of the day, after the completion of a 90% or 100% charge.

Hi,

I would very much like to contribute to the tracker data. But I just don't get it: How can I log on to the tracker? What is the "forum handle", where do I get the Pin?

Confused regards
Keith
  1. Go to the login screen
  2. Find your TMC User Name "Keith Sauvant" in the drop down
  3. Put in a 4-digit PIN and remember it
  4. Click the sign-in/login button

Then in the future, sign on by selecting your same TMC User Name and the PIN. Fill out the specifics on your MS one time, then when you come back, you can just add firmware details where it says that at the bottom of your summary screen.

As was suggested, if that does not do it, Hank is a really responsive guy to assist.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
Understood, but when I say I frequently do this same drive, it really is the same drive, on rural roads with 35 and 50mph speed limits and occasional hills. I watch the Wh/mi like a hawk, and today was really surprised at the drop considering no material change versus yesterday in terms of drive, weather, etc.
Wind is hard to guage - even a 5 mph difference can affect m/kwh

1. Go to the login screen
  2. Find your TMC User Name "Keith Sauvant" in the drop down
  3. Put in a 4-digit PIN and remember it
  4. Click the sign-in/login button
Then in the future, sign on by selecting your same TMC User Name and the PIN. Fill out the specifics on your MS one time, then when you come back, you can just add firmware details where it says that at the bottom of your summary screen.

As was suggested, if that does not do it, Hank is a really responsive guy to assist.

Thank you, that worked. Not very intuitive, though