Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I have more info on my own vampire loss with 2.16.17. After 36 hours, I lost 5 miles, and that includes having the door open for about an hour when I was cleaning the interior, as well as pulling into and out of the garage.

So I'd say for me, this is on par if not a little better than I did before. So based on my personal experience, vampire drain's not any worse than before--possibly better.

Hmm... one more elephant in the update (behind the scenes) that I'm not sure I should post about, for fear of severely pissing off Tesla. heh.

Edit: SHA256 of the info I'll have a moral debate with myself on whether or not I'll post about it or not later on: 90635303cac8ab6a6a303d37db088f2a69d5224c59c5a486465f9d4be159e29d

Edit edit: No, nothing dangerous or scandalous or anything... just something I probably shouldn't know about yet.

Was this the new front-end, or something still not yet announced?

7.1 (2.16.51) showed up on my car yesterday right after I got the LTE upgrade.
No changes to release notes and I'm not seeing anything different so far. Outside temperature display is still in the wrong place, and audio source quick select menu is still missing. I haven't yet checked to see if the Rainbow Road offers more or less cowbell.

I've added to the firmware tracker.

7.1 (2.16.51) showed up on my car yesterday right after I got the LTE upgrade.
No changes to release notes and I'm not seeing anything different so far. Outside temperature display is still in the wrong place, and audio source quick select menu is still missing. I haven't yet checked to see if the Rainbow Road offers more or less cowbell.

I've added to the firmware tracker.
The cowbell remains the same.

One frustration for me is that Model S does not have the odometer reading on the trips display (driver screen).

Model X has the odometer reading. There is plenty of room for it be included with the Model S Signature.
If your Model S has Autopilot, the odometer is only shown in the Trip widget, which you have to select with the thumb wheels. That's still a source of frustration, since both the odometer and real-time energy usage meter, which were present all the time on the instrument cluster before 7.0, somehow got downgraded into optional information. Fortunately you can still have both the Trip and Energy widgets displayed at once... at least in 7.1 currently.

However, your car is a Sig, which has a different instrument panel than the Autopilot-enabled versions. You still have the classic speedometer as well as the odometer displayed front and center on your instrument panel, correct? Or are you saying that you'd prefer the odometer move into the Trip widget on all vehicles for consistency?

Curious why some feel the odometer needs to be displayed all the time on the instrument cluster. Since it was moved out, I haven't missed it. What are you frequently wanting to see that number for anyway?

I don't really have a frequent need to see how many miles are on my car, and a simple tap on the Tesla T on the main display will show it to me if needed. If you're just measuring out miles, well--isn't that what the trip meter is for?

Curious why some feel the odometer needs to be displayed all the time on the instrument cluster. Since it was moved out, I haven't missed it. What are you frequently wanting to see that number for anyway?
It's all about celebrating the milestones. It was nice to be aware of the moment when my car began to approach and then hit 10,000 miles. The number tells me where I'm at so far on the larger journey of gasoline-free driving.

Odometer-celebration-party.gif

Engineering should already be aware, but its not yet fixed as of 2.14.66.

GPS is super accurate when going forward, and continue forward when you go in reverse.
Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed in newest firmware? I am still stuck on an older version. STL Service Center opened a ticket with engineering but have not heard back.

Note the iOS App Store. Won't see a release there without at the very least, the cursory "bug fixes and minor performance enhancements".
While I, too, would like to see adequate release notes from Tesla, I'm surprised you chose the App Store as an example of acceptable practice. Both Facebook and Microsoft push periodic (is it monthly?) updates with the exact same boilerplate "release note" every time, to the effect of "every now and then we push an update, to make things better maybe? Install it and take your medicine." This is even worse than Tesla -- at least for major releases they do publish notes, they just don't document bug fixes. For that matter, I don't think the "performance enhancements and bug fixes" release note that's the next rung up from the vacuous FB/MS note is good for much either, I wouldn't consider that any better than the nothing-at-all Tesla publishes now (worse actually, since it would provide form without content). An example of an actual good release note might be Apple security release notes, IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
...This is even worse than Tesla -- at least for major releases they do publish notes, they just don't document bug fixes. For that matter, I don't think the "performance enhancements and bug fixes" release note that's the next rung up from the vacuous FB/MS note is good for much either, I wouldn't consider that any better than the nothing-at-all Tesla publishes now (worse actually, since it would provide form without content). An example of an actual good release note might be Apple security release notes, IMO.

No comment with regard to either MS or FB.

While it would be great to have a format similar to Apple's security release notes, Rome wasn't built in a day.

The inclusion of "minor enhancements and bug fixes" at the least implies that there's nothing to see here and to move along. That in itself is more useful than nothing at all.

Nothing at all produces the most uncertainty, followed by the aforementioned albeit vacuous statement, followed by real release notes - no matter how minor or major the release.