Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but 40 years of driving has irrevocably taught me to brake to a stop, not accelerate less to a stop. And I doubt I'm alone there.
So there comes a point where I need to guess how much "roll" is left and start braking. Used to be if I guessed wrong it would stop short. Now, not so much.
I've pretty much always driven a manual transmission before the Model S. Maybe I've been trained differently because of all the years of downshifting rather than using a lot of brakes. So easing off the accelerator wasn't much of a stretch. Even transitioning back into MT hasn't been an issue other than all the noise drives me nuts now.

As a Englishman, we have mostly manuals over here, I use downshifting to slow down going around corners or when approaching roundabouts, but when I approach other junctions or traffic lights I just brake to a stop in the gear I am in then change once I have stopped.

I hope this isn't bad driving on my part.

...The Tesla regen seems to cut out entirely around 3-5mph, necessitating the use of the brake pedal at every light whereas with the i3 we are quite adept at never using the 2nd pedal...
That's where Autopilot makes life a bit easier by pressing the brake pedal for you at those pesky stoplights when a vehicle is stopping in front of you.

I'm not sure it is "luck", exactly. I can't put a four-bike bike rack on my MS. I can't fit lumber into it. I can't haul a trailer with it.
Cars are used for many purposes, and Tesla is only even trying to cover some of those (which I think is good, strategically; focus
is important).

I think many people would (mostly, incorrectly) attribute to "luck" ownership of a Tesla at all.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Since there are two settings for regen, I'd like to see Tesla have more aggressive regen, or at least not fade away, and then less agressive for owners like RogerHScott who want little difference between their ICE and Tesla.
Yup! I test drive my CPO pre 7 firmware and loved the regen, and interface. Picked it up and they had "upgraded" me to the latest firmware. I was like, "what the hell?" for weeks. Scratch that, I still am 7 months later.

Gee, if only we were living in a world where a programmer could just write some code? And maybe look at the the charging interface, or sunroof interface, and say, gee, "We could make a slider thing, that lets the user vary the regen, and even apply it to the drivers profile. Gee, if we could just find a guy to write some code."

I want to live in the world with the programmers!

[QUOTE="

I want to live in the world with the programmers![/QUOTE]

Really, what we NEED is that the programmers use the Model S each and every day so that they can be aware of which interfaces need (in this case) a slider for adjustment of a rate or amount. I think they did a good job with the SUMMON customization where you dial in the travel distance and stopping distance.

Def agree with Ingineer. An expert mode would be nice for those of us who like to tinker. Tesla is following a model similar to Apple, make something great but easy for everyone. Personally I am an android user and like to be able to tinker and I think Ingineer is right if there was an expert mode and a normal mode it would allow those people that like to customize a little more in detail that would be helpful.

I really don't see why anyone would want anything less than max regen. Why would you want to recapture less energy than you otherwise could?
Ummm... because the driving experience is a compromise between a number of competing factors?? Let me design a maximally
efficient car for you and I guarantee you wouldn't want to drive it ;)
I'll take this opportunity to once more mount my hobby horse and say that the answer is to build regeneration into "braking" (i.e.,
decelerating) so that the driver doesn't have to manually decompose deceleration into non-acceleration (i.e., foot off the "gas" pedal)
and braking (i.e., foot on the brake pedal).

I think there should be an "expert" mode that by default is disabled, but once you enable it you have better granularity.
The driver must solve a modest programming problem on the center console in order to enable it. The programming language will
be an option, but the "simple interface" rule will require only a single default choice be available until you've passed the "expert" test. ;)

Not in my car -- otherwise I wouldn't have cited this as a change. Perhaps the earlier behavior was a bug, though I kinda doubt it.

People have said that for virtually every update since I got my car. I haven't noticed any change at all in regen with this update, if you have and think there's something wrong perhaps Tesla should know about it so they can fix it for you.

Ummm... because the driving experience is a compromise between a number of competing factors?? Let me design a maximally
efficient car for you and I guarantee you wouldn't want to drive it ;)
I'll take this opportunity to once more mount my hobby horse and say that the answer is to build regeneration into "braking" (i.e.,
decelerating) so that the driver doesn't have to manually decompose deceleration into non-acceleration (i.e., foot off the "gas" pedal)
and braking (i.e., foot on the brake pedal).
When I first test-drove the car, I would have though that building regeneration into braking would have been a better idea, like it worked in my Prius. Now, in terms of preference, I much prefer Tesla's implementation. But to each his own.
However, this discussion is about limiting regeneration, which makes no sense. If you want to resteer the discussion, that's fine, but make it clear what you are proposing.

However, this discussion is about limiting regeneration, which makes no sense. If you want to resteer the discussion, that's fine, but make it clear what you are proposing.
I thought this discussion was about "Firmware 7.1". ;)
My comment was more of an aside. My view (YMMV) is that quibbling about the amount of regeneration that occurs when you let off the accelerator is worrying about the wrong problem. Perhaps Teslas will evolve multiple driving "modes" and the Tesla driving community can split into perpetually warring factions akin to the great vi/emacs schism among programmers. :eek:

Sorry, but 40 years of driving has irrevocably taught me to brake to a stop, not accelerate less to a stop. And I doubt I'm alone there.
So there comes a point where I need to guess how much "roll" is left and start braking. Used to be if I guessed wrong it would stop short. Now, not so much.
then you haven't really learned how to drive your tesla. I only use the brakes to come to a complete stop

Last edited: