Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It wouldn't be a complaint from me. I find it too abrupt, so don't use the Standard setting. If they've reduced it I may need to try Standard again, since ideally I'd like to be regenerating more. But, if we're talking about "ideal", what I really want is for it to just automatically use regeneration as much as possible to implement the "decelerator" (note: not "brake") pedal and only employ the actual brakes when regen is insufficient.
I'm curious. Do you use "one-pedal" driving?

I've been driving an i3 for almost two years and the MS regen is wimpy. My wife complained that the MS didn't allow one pedal driving and forced us to use the friction brakes. The Tesla regen seems to cut out entirely around 3-5mph, necessitating the use of the brake pedal at every light whereas with the i3 we are quite adept at never using the 2nd pedal.

Since there are two settings for regen, I'd like to see Tesla have more aggressive regen, or at least not fade away, and then less agressive for owners like RogerHScott who want little difference between their ICE and Tesla.

Turn off Creep mode and I think the 3-5 mph regen issue will go away.

No. I understand that some people do, and that's fine, but I see no reason to assume that everyone who chooses to drive
an EV will also want to use one-pedal driving, so designing a car that only suits that style would seem to pointlessly disadvantage
a sizable population.

This statement doesn't make sense. Every ICE car in the world uses two-pedal driving...and all of them were designed to only suit that style.

One pedal driving is far superior from an energy conservation standpoint, a safety standpoint, and for making driving less tiresome. I think you are actually in a significant minority if you move your foot to the brake in a Tesla every time you want to slow down.

One pedal driving is far superior from an energy conservation standpoint, a safety standpoint, and for making driving less tiresome.
See arguments in favor of the Dvorak keyboard versus QWRTY and then note how Dvorak has taken over the world.
Also, there's absolutely no reason why two-pedal need be less energy efficient than one-pedal. It all comes down to what each pedal does when you use it.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
This statement doesn't make sense. Every ICE car in the world uses two-pedal driving...and all of them were designed to only suit that style.

One pedal driving is far superior from an energy conservation standpoint, a safety standpoint, and for making driving less tiresome. I think you are actually in a significant minority if you move your foot to the brake in a Tesla every time you want to slow down.
I think it's wonderful that people can drive their Tesla the way that best suits them. New or potential owners can jump into a Tesla and drive it immediately with zero learning curve on the basic "gas pedal = GO / brake = STOP" usage they know from other vehicles, as they have plenty of new things they must become accustomed to with their new BEV. Then if they want to, they can move to more of the one pedal driving approach as many of us have, with the brake being available for emergencies and more occasional use. To me, it's no different than how some people over the years have and have not chosen to drive hybrids with various hyper-miling techniques -- to each their own -- drive it like an ICE or as something that will get better mileage, save a few bucks and help the environment a little more. I'm very glad Elon wasn't overly progressive forcing a single-pedal design on everyone, on day one. IMHO choice is good, and maximizes potential for mass-acceptance.

Can we now get back to more specific 7.1 discussion in this thread once again? ;)

The Teslas will probably never be able to get regen in the last 3-5 MPH of slowing down because of the characteristics of the induction motor. At very low speeds like that they become very inefficient, and operating an induction machine in generator mode isn't particularly efficient in the first place. You could program the inverter to supply the counter-torque in the last 3-5 MPH if you want, but the induction motor would not be regenerating the battery, it would use power instead.

The Leaf and BMW i3 use permanent magnet motors that do not have this issue, and they can function as a generator (supplying counter-torque) all the way down to 0 RPM.

No. I understand that some people do, and that's fine, but I see no reason to assume that everyone who chooses to drive
an EV will also want to use one-pedal driving, so designing a car that only suits that style would seem to pointlessly disadvantage
a sizable population.
I choose to use the method that requires the least maintenence and upkeep. And the brakes, if needed in an emergency will always be fresh.

The Tesla regen seems to cut out entirely around 3-5mph, necessitating the use of the brake pedal at every light whereas with the i3 we are quite adept at never using the 2nd pedal.

Since there are two settings for regen, I'd like to see Tesla have more aggressive regen, or at least not fade away, and then less agressive for owners like RogerHScott who want little difference between their ICE and Tesla.
Here here! You are absolutely correct. I am mostly a one-pedal driver, but absolutely must use the brake to come to a complete stop. The regen gets me mostly there, then cuts out completely at about 3 mph. I just coast at that point. My guess is that our Teslas function this way for a particular reason, though I cannot think of why. I would love an option for a more aggressive regen, one that continues all the way until I am stopped.

Is the navigation system's high-res graphical portrayal of freeway exits new with the latest update or is it yet another thing that's
been there all along that I just hadn't noticed? I'm not sure that it actually provides all that much more useful information but it sure
does catch your eye (for better or worse).

Is the navigation system's high-res graphical portrayal of freeway exits new with the latest update or is it yet another thing that's
been there all along that I just hadn't noticed? I'm not sure that it actually provides all that much more useful information but it sure
does catch your eye (for better or worse).
I've always had this on the left side of my IC. Even in my 2013 MS. Or are you referring to something else?

My guess is that our Teslas function this way for a particular reason, though I cannot think of why.

By having to apply the brake to come to a final stop, you exercise the brakes. This:
  1. Allows you to verify that the hydraulic brakes are working for when you need them to stop quickly.
  2. Ensures that the brakes are somewhat clean/dry, so that they are more effective when they're really needed.
  3. Ensures the system is used at least a little bit, to avoid maintenance issues that could arise from not using them at all.
  4. Keeps your muscle memory honed to the location of the brake pedal.
And as mentioned, using a motor as a generator at very low RPMs just isn't efficient.