Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 195296 View attachment 195297

My software messages do not display in the app, but as a screen banner. In addition to the Tesla app notifications being checked (software is the very last option on the bottom so scroll all the way down), also be sure your iphone is toggled properly to receive the notifications in Settings->Notifications->Tesla App->allow notifications -on, show on lock screen on, show in notification center -on.

Edit: I had to reboot my phone to get the calendar to synch. Maybe a phone reboot will clear the comms for the notifications too. good luck.

I have Notifications set as follows:
  • Allow Notifications - On
  • Sounds - On
  • Show on Lock Screen - On
  • Alert Style - Alert
  • Wake Device for Notifications - On
Since I get notifications for charging start and stop as a screen banner on the lock screen, I should also get software notifications but I have not gotten any software notifications in the past 16 months.

Tomorrow I will do what I always do when I am waiting for a software update, I will go out ot the garage and check the car every few hours. Lets hope we all get 8.0 tomorrow.

So if you take a figurative step back, remember that there's no guarantee that the 8.0 rollout will happen tonight or even tomorrow. I for one am going about my usual business (which includes trying to get a good night's sleep) and whenever a software update image shows up on my car, I'll deal with it then. Sorry, I'm a bit of a party pooper, but I'll gladly live vicariously through the TMC posts of all you other crazy owners. :)

Bruce.

I'm just hoping to get 2.36.31 (not 8.0)! I even went to the service center this morning (geofence) to try to get it. Nada... Well, just checked. Nada again... Eh, see what happens tomorrow.

Can you explain what this is supposed to mean? That people (with AP) who skip 8.0 are in some way degraded from people who didn't skip 8.0? That's not how firmware updates work.

The only reason I said what I said was I felt like the 8.1 firmware might be the more dangerous firmware.

The reason I gave for that is I believe the switch in what triggers AEB will happen in 8.1, and not 8.0.

It has nothing to do with whether you skip or not. It simply has to do with what a monumental change that is, and how it's going to impact false positives.

Now I do understand the blog doesn't imply that. The blog doesn't really give an exact time when it will happen. But, I think it's going to undergo a lot of evaluating/testing before it's released. So to me it would make more since to wait to switching the behavior at 8.1.

i also acknowledge that I'm apprehensive of that change and I'd prefer it happening in a specific firmware version versus just being changed overnight one night.

I also remember one of them writing that the cars downloaded differences, not complete firmware images. (Or at least it was just certain modules that changed.) I specifically remember thinking that this was way more intelligent than the firmware upgrade process for the product I used to work on.

Bruce.

That's what I remembered as well.

It's too bad Ingineer isn't a TMC addict.

Reactions: BrandonR22
Tesla hasn't offered this update to my my 85D yet.
A quick call to the Watertown Service Center this morning yielded the fact that only 25% of the fleet has the update at this point and I should see something in the next week.

Based on this post by @511keV in another thread, I think 8.0 is at least a week out. If it takes 3 days to get 2.36.31 pushed to 25% of the fleet, that means ~9 more days to finish that push. Are they throttling due to the load on their servers to compile the patch for each car? If they are, I can't imagine that they would overlap 8.0 and compete for resources.

Mikes right, it's equal. Note he says "a" primary not "the" primary. Like you I thought radar was authoritative now but then I read it again.

At some point within 8.X the radar will be authoritative where it won't require the sensor to confirm.

Right now with 7.1 the camera is the primary sensor, and I believe it requires confirmation from the radar. That's why it's not activating for stalled cars the Camera clearly saw. It didn't have the radar confirmation because the radar in 7.1 can't "see" stopped cars.

This switch is going to be a monumental change.

I recall the same signal to noise ratio......but couldn't remember who posted it. My money is on your memory.

The signal to noise ratio doesn't matter for anyone who isn't Ingineer or WK057.

For everyone else all you have to do is set your filter to Ingineer and WK057 and all you have is signal.

Plus the level of knowledge that they have is really fine grained. I can say something that is mostly right, or at least that it's right enough for the conversation taking place. But, of course it's not EXACT since I don't have the access they do. Or I'm just paraphrasing something they said months ago.

Reactions: bmah
No, I think he's trying to say that the whitelisting doesn't kick in until a few cars have "learned" from driving experience. It's not tied to 8.1 as I remember. It's at some point that Tesla gains confidence in this new AP software which you don't have anyway. Don't sweat it.

I suspect it's right away. Autopilot will just work the existing way until the database is built up and then as certain objects start automatically being whitelisted they are immediately available for Autopilot to use.

I suspect it's right away. Autopilot will just work the existing way until the database is built up and then as certain objects start automatically being whitelisted they are immediately available for Autopilot to use.

I can see AP using the extra radar data right away since AP doesn't have to do what AEB has to. I can also see forward collision warning using the extra data right away as well.

I'll be really surprised if the activation rules for AEB change right away with V8.0. I think it's going to take months of data gathering over the entire fleet and for the EAB cars to be tested out with this change.

The other reason I feel this way is the improvement to the radar already fixes the BIGGEST issue. That is it can now detect a stalled car. That means both the camera and the radar should be able to spot a stalled car. So that means out of the gate Version 8.0 will have a drastically improved AEB without having to change the activation behavior of AEB. They can still have the detect/confirm method.

Switching it to radar as being the authoritative means it can stop for a stalled car in the fog.

Last edited:
Laugh at me now, but you won't be laughing when I'm the first to download 8.0! I'm geofenced right near the mothership. This is like Pokémon Go for Autopilot !

I seem to remember an aging factor being mentions, so if you got the latest security update it might be a couple days before your car downloads the next version. So I think that the people that got the security update the earliest are most likely to get 8.0 first.

The only reason I said what I said was I felt like the 8.1 firmware might be the more dangerous firmware.

The reason I gave for that is I believe the switch in what triggers AEB will happen in 8.1, and not 8.0.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, it sure read (to me) the other way.

But why would Tesla release software (even radically changed software) to the fleet if it's inferior in any way to the existing software? Don't you think they'd do lots of A/B testing to confirm their new methods are actually an improvement, rather than just releasing it as seeing what happens? Despite the radical change, I can't see Tesla making their cars less safe, even a little bit.

Reactions: BertL