Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a nice feature to have, but that won't stop people from freaking out if a pet is left inside the car and passers by don't know the A/C is on. Tesla should send little display cards for the windows: "A/C is on, pet is comfortable!" and a spot for a cell-phone number "just in case".
The ACsounds should be a dead giveaway. That's the noisiest part of the car.

That's a nice feature to have, but that won't stop people from freaking out if a pet is left inside the car and passers by don't know the A/C is on. Tesla should send little display cards for the windows: "A/C is on, pet is comfortable!" and a spot for a cell-phone number "just in case".

I don't believe kids should ever be left alone in a parked car, so that's a different issue -- I'm surprised Elon even mentioned kids left in parked/locked cars.

This seems like a backup safety feature that would keep a kid/pet alive if he is forgotten, rather than a something that is designed to enable people to leave their kids in the car.

I don't believe kids should ever be left alone in a parked car, so that's a different issue -- I'm surprised Elon even mentioned kids left in parked/locked cars.

I use 5 of these (windshield and each door window).
IMG_3374.JPG

Or to honk if it detects someone in the seat but the key is out of the car. Just like when I don't close the frunk all the way the car honks at me.

Interesting. My Classic does NOT honk when I walk away with the fob if my frunk (or even my trunk or any doors) are open. I wonder if this is something different in newer cars or a setting I've overlooked.

The ACsounds should be a dead giveaway. That's the noisiest part of the car.

To you, me, and everyone else here, sure.

But would Joe Mall Cop and Mary Overly-Concerned Public Citizen know that before calling the EMTs/cops to smash your windows to rescue the pet/child?

I don't think so. Which is why a note like posted above would be necessary to alleviate such incidents.

I'm probably wasting my time but I don't need to be at work until 12:30 tomorrow.. SOO... Thinking about making a quick 15 minute trip up there ;)

But, what if a drunk crashes into you?
Ok, thanks for the clarification, it sure read (to me) the other way.

But why would Tesla release software (even radically changed software) to the fleet if it's inferior in any way to the existing software? Don't you think they'd do lots of A/B testing to confirm their new methods are actually an improvement, rather than just releasing it as seeing what happens? Despite the radical change, I can't see Tesla making their cars less safe, even a little bit.

The initial release of Version 8.0 will be massively superior in terms of the AEB than 7.1. They don't need to change the activation method for AEB to make it more superior.

There is absolutely nothing inferior with Version 8.0 aside from the AP restrictions.

What needs to be tested significantly is the proposed radical change to AEB activation where it doesn't require confirmation from the camera. This has to undergo a lot of A/B testing to confirm the new activation method. This is why I don't believe the activation method for AEB will change for at least a few months after the rollout of 8.0. The fleet will give them a ton of data to prove it out. Orders of magnitudes more data than the EAP cars.

I'm not going to hesitate at all in installing 8.0. We need to install it to make the changes to the radar to give them the data they need.

I will be a bit hesitant in upgrading anything past 8.0 where I wait a week or two to see what people experience.

I'm only nervous of the AEB activation change because when I design safety critical things I prefer having a backup. There isn't a backup in the proposed switch to allowing only the radar to activate AEB. I don't think Tesla will release anything inferior when it comes to AEB, but it's a huge change and I'm going to exercise caution when upgrading to it. Something I don't normally do when it comes to software upgrades.

Of course I could be wrong and they could change the AEB activation method with 8.0 at any time. That's what the blog makes it look like.

But, what if a drunk crashes into you?

The initial release of Version 8.0 will be massively superior in terms of the AEB than 7.1. They don't need to change the activation method for AEB to make it more superior.

There is absolutely nothing inferior with Version 8.0 aside from the AP restrictions.

What needs to be tested significantly is the proposed radical change to AEB activation where it doesn't require confirmation from the camera. This has to undergo a lot of A/B testing to confirm the new activation method. This is why I don't believe the activation method for AEB will change for at least a few months after the rollout of 8.0. The fleet will give them a ton of data to prove it out. Orders of magnitudes more data than the EAP cars.

I'm not going to hesitate at all in installing 8.0. We need to install it to make the changes to the radar to give them the data they need.

I will be a bit hesitant in upgrading anything past 8.0 where I wait a week or two to see what people experience.

I'm only nervous of the AEB activation change because when I design safety critical things I prefer having a backup. There isn't a backup in the proposed switch to allowing only the radar to activate AEB. I don't think Tesla will release anything inferior when it comes to AEB, but it's a huge change and I'm going to exercise caution when upgrading to it. Something I don't normally do when it comes to software upgrades.

Of course I could be wrong and they could change the AEB activation method with 8.0 at any time. That's what the blog makes it look like.
I'd like to figure out a way to test the new AEB without risking a collision or just trusting that it will work.

I'd like to figure out a way to test the new AEB without risking a collision or just trusting that it will work.

I have a lot of grievances with AEB when it comes the automotive industry.

No agreed standards in terms of capabilities
No agreed testing methods in testing those capabilities
No driver education in showing us how they work in various cases.
No buyer education in terms of making sure we have a package we think we do
Lots of manufactures only included it on some special package on top of the most expensive trim so my mom didn't get it on her Mazda 3.
No way for the customer to test any of these stuff out.

The NHTSA is having car manufactures role this out, and it's an extremely critical safety. But, it seems so half way.

Disclaimer - TMC won't let me use the proper language so you'll have to add in swears where appropriate.

Reactions: msnow

And everyone should wear a seat belt yet we have seat belt laws. It will be nice if no kids or pets ever die of heat stroke in a tesla