Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a lot of grievances with AEB when it comes the automotive industry.

No agreed standards in terms of capabilities
No agreed testing methods in testing those capabilities
No driver education in showing us how they work in various cases.
No buyer education in terms of making sure we have a package we think we do
Lots of manufactures only included it on some special package on top of the most expensive trim so my mom didn't get it on her Mazda 3.
No way for the customer to test any of these stuff out.

The NHTSA is having car manufactures role this out, and it's an extremely critical safety. But, it seems so half way.

Disclaimer - TMC won't let me use the proper language so you'll have to add in swears where appropriate.
Very good points.

I'm not as concerned as some may be with personally testing any AEB changes Tesla provides as that can be a very hard for an individual consumer to do, but I AM CONCERNED being able to read more precisely how Tesla has designed (the new) AEB to operate and how that may be different than what I already expect with my MS and 7.2. Even more specifically, I want to know how AEB operates when TACC or AP are both on or off. Tesla's documentation isn't always that detailed IMHO, and lack of possible release notes where little tweaks and improvements in these sort of areas concern me, so hopefully Tesla will exceed my expectations as safety systems continue to evolve. Speculation and observations on forums like TMC or from the press is interesting, but I really do want safety system info direct from the horses mouth so-to-speak.

It was simple for me to understand how AEB may assist me when I owned one and then dual Lexus (different models) for many years. What became complex is when I sold my Lexus convertible and replaced it with a BMW, then replaced the BMW a with a MBZ, trying to keep in the back of my mind the nuances of which vehicle would only slow me to a certain MPH, where another may attempt a full stop in emergency situations. Worse for me were the last few years when I was working and on the road most weeks in all sort of "cheaper" and less-capable rentals with AEB or related systems while using variants of TACC (radar cruise control). It became impossible to keep in the back of my mind what a certain vehicle would or wouldn't do in an emergency -- even keeping it straight for those I owned. Standards would do well to help a majority. At a bare minimum, clear definition of what our MS will and won't ALWAYS do is an imperative.

My 1-day old MBZ and I were saved from a major crash a few years back because of how the combination of Distronic Plus and AEB worked to completely stop me when an idiot made a right against his/her red into an incoming string of us crossing an intersection. The sad thing is, my top-of-the line Lexus with all it's also special-ordered optional safety systems would likely not have been able to accomplish the same thing with AEB unless I had its radar cruise control engaged. It's a little difference perhaps to some, but my point is, it's a big deal for owners (that want) to understand to what degree your vehicle has your back or not when the chips are down.​

EM on Twitter: Hoping to start WW rollout of 8.0 on Wednesday if no last minute issues discovered.

(last minute issue discovered)
(EM thinks: Ok, I can be honest and delay the rollout. Or... Oh man, I am a genius! Let's just release the "official" release = new release candidate to the Beta testers and...)

EM on Twitter: V8.0 starts downloading tonight. Release will be gradual to make sure there aren't small regressions. Many car configs, many environments.

(They will never know... hihihi)

Of course, this is pure fictional! Or is it...?

So yes, the car only downloads the differences for a new update. They use a package from a company called RedBend that builds these patch files. They are often pretty small relative to the ~700megs of software in an install. 8.0's patch files for most people are probably going to be under 100megs.

The CID then depackages the update and builds the full install and verifies it's got the correct signature, and only then do you get the notification.

I will try to post here as soon as I see the first real 8.0 hit any cars so you guys can start stroking your rabbit feet. =)

BTW, I'm on a long road trip testing out the new AP. It gave me a false FCW event earlier today and the AP recorded the 8 image EDR sequence to upload to the mothership:
pic

So yes, the car only downloads the differences for a new update. They use a package from a company called RedBend that builds these patch files. They are often pretty small relative to the ~700megs of software in an install. 8.0's patch files for most people are probably going to be under 100megs.

The CID then depackages the update and builds the full install and verifies it's got the correct signature, and only then do you get the notification.

I will try to post here as soon as I see the first real 8.0 hit any cars so you guys can start stroking your rabbit feet. =)

BTW, I'm on a long road trip testing out the new AP. It gave me a false FCW event earlier today and the AP recorded the 8 image EDR sequence to upload to the mothership:
pic

Crappy road/lane marking strikes again?

When I read Elon's

pic

You get these images by just downloading the log to the USB drive correct?

Like instructed by

Log Upload

BTW, I'm on a long road trip testing out the new AP. It gave me a false FCW event earlier today and the AP recorded the 8 image EDR sequence to upload to the mothership
Do you know how the car decides when it'd upload these things back to the mothership? e.g. immediately after an event, or after some delay? My car has no cellular connection for most of the day, but I still want to be able to contribute any data it collects.

When I read Elon's

You get these images by just downloading the log to the USB drive correct?

Like instructed by

Log Upload
Sorry, but I think that is for the Roadster only. I don't think you can do that on S/X. Unfortunately I don't know of any easy way to check for or get at the EDR logs without root or spending hours dismantling the dash of your car which I most definitely don't recommend!

Sorry, but I think that is for the Roadster only. I don't think you can do that on S/X. Unfortunately I don't know of any easy way to check for or get at the EDR logs without root or spending hours dismantling the dash of your car which I most definitely don't recommend!

Thanks.

That explains the "Ensure the key is turned OFF" portion of it. :)

I was hoping they'd keep the same thing for the Roadster/S/X