Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know how the car decides when it'd upload these things back to the mothership? e.g. immediately after an event, or after some delay? My car has no cellular connection for most of the day, but I still want to be able to contribute any data it collects.
Once the event happens, the DAS ECU lets the gateway (GW) know there is an event in the EDR buffer. The GW then downloads the data into the MCU and when the car is connected to the mothership it will up[load the data if they want it. It will stay there and wait until you are connected, so don't worry.

8.0 is here!

IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0890.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0892.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
I got a update notification 1 hour ago. Just saw it. Updating now. This must be it, I updated to 2.36.31 on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0895.JPG
    IMG_0895.JPG
    524.8 KB · Views: 44
Yeah, figured that's how they are detecting it. Nice feature. BTW are you safe from the craziness in Charlotte?

Thank you. Yes, safe here. We got the email early in the afternoon to leave and work from home to avoid being stuck amongst protestors. Up much of the night watching it unfold. I live close to Uptown, but far enough away that the rioters weren't bothering me. I stayed in touch with friends that lived inside the loop and just outside it, offering them my guest bedroom and couch if they get unsafe there. I'm sure our office was vandalized as I saw rioters/looters destroying the doors and windows of the properties around us. I'm working from home today and avoiding the area. Watching the National
Guard and State Troopers enter my fair city to return order was surreal. We have troops standing guard on the streets of Uptown in Charlotte now and will continue into this evening. Just heartbreaking that such people might be our neighbors, our coworkers, people we know. So sad.

Last edited:
So they are using the front passenger weight sensor (that is tied to airbag level of deployment) to guestimate someone still in the car and keep the HVAC and screens active.
Great! This was an issue for me. My wife was complaining the A/C would shut off when I got out for any reason. I told her to touch the screen but that was not working, I would leave key fob with her-no go. Happy to hear this

Thank you. Yes, safe here. We got the email early in the afternoon to leave and work from home to avoid being stuck amongst protestors. Up much of the night watching it unfold. I live close to Uptown, but far enough away that the rioters weren't bothering me. I stayed in touch with friends that lived inside the loop and just outside it, offering them my guest bedroom and couch if they get unsafe there. I'm sure our office was vandalized as I saw rioters/looters destroying the doors and windows of the properties around us. I'm working from home today and avoiding the area. Watching the National
Guard and State Troopers enter my fair city to return order was surreal. We have troops in Uptown in Charlotte now and will continue into this evening. Just heartbreaking that such people might be our neighbors, our coworkers, people we know. So sad.
I watched it all evening on CNN. It was unreal what went down. I hope everything calms down today. Stay safe!

So yes, the car only downloads the differences for a new update. They use a package from a company called RedBend that builds these patch files. They are often pretty small relative to the ~700megs of software in an install. 8.0's patch files for most people are probably going to be under 100megs.

The CID then depackages the update and builds the full install and verifies it's got the correct signature, and only then do you get the notification.

I will try to post here as soon as I see the first real 8.0 hit any cars so you guys can start stroking your rabbit feet. =)

BTW, I'm on a long road trip testing out the new AP. It gave me a false FCW event earlier today and the AP recorded the 8 image EDR sequence to upload to the mothership:
pic
I see you're doing your test driving in The Bronx ;)

I don't think there is any passenger detecting going on. The screen still goes out when the last door is shut if no driver is in the seat. The only thing they changed was setting the timeout to 30 minutes instead of 15.

It's silly they don't do this. I noticed if you have something heavy in the passenger seat it will aggravate you with the seat belt chime. If you remove it, it stops, and then it resumes when the weight comes back, so clearly it's checking for that.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I don't think there is any passenger detecting going on. The screen still goes out when the last door is shut if no driver is in the seat. The only thing they changed was setting the timeout to 30 minutes instead of 15.

It is interesting that that is what the web release notes say, but what is presented in the cars says: "For passenger comfort, the displays will stay active at the end of drive after a driver has left the car. Passengers can set temperature, us maps, and play music without the driver being present. The displays will stay on for as long as the passenger in the front seat stays in the car and continues to interact with the screen."

Which doesn't seem to imply there is any time limit. And also that someone reaching from the back seats to mess with the screen wouldn't keep things going...

It is interesting that that is what the web release notes say, but what is presented in the cars says: "For passenger comfort, the displays will stay active at the end of drive after a driver has left the car. Passengers can set temperature, us maps, and play music without the driver being present. The displays will stay on for as long as the passenger in the front seat stays in the car and continues to interact with the screen."

Which doesn't seem to imply there is any time limit. And also that someone reaching from the back seats to mess with the screen wouldn't keep things going...
The screenshot I saw did have a time limit but I thought it said 30 seconds not minutes. I must have misread it

It's silly they don't do this. I noticed if you have something heavy in the passenger seat it will aggravate you with the seat belt chime. If you remove it, it stops, and then it resumes when the weight comes back, so clearly it's checking for that.

I'm confused. 30 minutes instead of 15? On my car in 7.1, the screen would turn off immediately upon closing the last door. It would not wait 15 minutes.

As I said, in the Beta, it doesn't. Screen goes off if last door is shut and no butt in driver's seat. You can still touch the screen within a few sconds of this and it will come back on for 30 mins.

Ok, I think I'm confused the multiple threads going on.

I thought the new "screen stays on feature while passenger there" meant that if a passenger is setting off the weight sensor for the seatbelt, when the driver gets out and all doors are shut, the screen won't turn off and won't require the passenger to press the screen to turn it back on.

I get you have Beta, but if a passenger is actually in the seat, the screen turns off when the driver shuts their door after exiting?

I thought the new "screen stays on feature while passenger there" meant that if a passenger is setting off the weight sensor for the seatbelt, when the driver gets out and all doors are shut, the screen won't turn off and won't require the passenger to press the screen to turn it back on.

That's exactly how I expected it to work from the release notes. But apparently not how the Beta Ingineer has works. I guess we'll see.