Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oddly enough I picked my car up at the SC and it had the yellow clock on. It's in my garage now updating. Strange that the SC didn't apply the update themselves.

Pretty common. The SC will "stage" the update (meaning initiate the download, but not apply). This keeps the car from being un-drivable (and possibly un-serviceable) for the .5-2 hours that an update may take.

Had a Ranger call where the guy said "Sorry I'm late.. the last customer started a firmware install 5 minutes before I got to his house." He had to sit and wait for an hour for it to finish before he could do what he needed to do.

Keep forgetting to snap a shot of this when I have an update with the car in dev mode:

updater-in-dev-mode.jpg

While not release notes, it would be nice if they enabled this for normal end users to see what the version it wants them to install is. Not sure why they don't give any info about what the pending update is for or what it does.

Two new versions popped up in the last 24h or so. 2.11.115(?? - we've had 2.12.x for ten days now) with one reported update on a Model S 85D at a service center. And about 25 reports for 2.12.126. US, Canada and The Netherlands, oddly only on large batteries (85 and 90, but 25 reports is just small enough that this could still be coincidence), both AWD and RWD, AP and non-AP, and across all VIN ranges.

By my accounts 2.11.45 and 2.12.45 was released to a limited group of random cars. 2.11.45 seemed to be what people were getting from the SvC and 2.12.45 is what a few select users got OTA. The 2.12.126 looks to be the wider release incorporating the features of those releases and some fixes to more cars.

Is it possible that Tesla is now preventing (some) cars from downloading firmware updates over a cellular network (3G or LTE)?
I ask because I've been "stuck" on a fairly old version of 7.1 (2.11.54) which is now 5 versions behind the latest (2.12.126).

A while ago, I turn off the WiFi access point details to my home network as the signal to the car is bad based on where I place the router, given that it's more important for me to have strong signal through the house to my fixed and mobile electronic devices, rather than to the car.

Looking back at my firmware update events, the last non-WiFi update I got over the air was in September 2015! The rest have been through a service center or via WiFi.

So after not getting any updates for a while, I decided to temporarily relocate my WiFi access point tonight to a location closer to where I park my car - and bingo! I see a flurry of activity on my router from the beast with a large download in progress.

Could it be that Tesla is limiting 3G/LTE downloads to reduce data network costs?

Is it possible that Tesla is now preventing (some) cars from downloading firmware updates over a cellular network (3G or LTE)?
I ask because I've been "stuck" on a fairly old version of 7.1 (2.11.54) which is now 5 versions behind the latest (2.12.126).

A while ago, I turn off the WiFi access point details to my home network as the signal to the car is bad based on where I place the router, given that it's more important for me to have strong signal through the house to my fixed and mobile electronic devices, rather than to the car.

Looking back at my firmware update events, the last non-WiFi update I got over the air was in September 2015! The rest have been through a service center or via WiFi.

So after not getting any updates for a while, I decided to temporarily relocate my WiFi access point tonight to a location closer to where I park my car - and bingo! I see a flurry of activity on my router from the beast with a large download in progress.

Could it be that Tesla is limiting 3G/LTE downloads to reduce data network costs?

Quite possible. All of my updates have been over WiFi, pretty much.

Also, the map updates look like they will *only* download via WiFi.

Up late, are we? I'm on the west coast and feel like it's already past my bedtime :biggrin:

Thanks for the heads-up on maps requiring WiFi. Explains why I've never received one yet!

I've always had my MS on Wifi (with good signal in my garage) for over 2 years, this week was the very first time I saw map updates message, EVER (of course I assume when I got a new car in May it had updated maps compared to my 2013).

I'm sure we've been trying to figure this out for years, but does anyone have any clue why certain people are getting the updates when they do? I know for 7.1 there was definitely a correlation between location and when you got the update, but other than that the updates have been incredibly random and it's quite bizarre to have so many different builds out there.