Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like radar/lidar is not really needed on future fully-auto cars, but just multiple cameras. And adding a camera to the rear window of TMS, like it has on front-window, is not that hard. I think it could be possible to retrofit SOME future upgrades to current AP cars, but I have a feeling that Tesla will not support/allow it, they rather sell a new car. Which is understandable, but may suck for some users.
It's much harder than you think. There are no rear window wipers and no mounting points, and even simply installing a camera requires careful calibration.

- - - Updated - - -

This may have been mentioned before as I have missed a few post. While Tacc limits the speed when using auto steer on certain roads you can drive faster with the pedal and auto steer remains engaged on the restricted roads.
Which totally defeats the point of AP. So you might as well not use it at all. Even TACC without AP is better than keeping track of speed all the time.

The 7.1 update was about 125MB on the wire... * 50,000 cars is 62TB of bandwidth. That's a decent amount, not that I think this was a limiting factor.

The way Tesla's firmware updates seem to work is the car sends a request to Tesla's server, Tesla's server then builds a custom package for your car based on the configuration and module versions, then the car downloads this later when it's done. Definitely an interesting approach, and certainly more difficult to scale than just adding more bandwidth.

That would imply an attempt at efficiency by only loading in the update modules for your package that pertain to your car. Why include a 10MB firmware update for air suspension if you dont have air suspension?

- - - Updated - - -

Why all the negativity? By reading the release notes I found several improvements, including some you mentioned, that are definitely worthwhile a release even without the summon feature.

But of course, there is always going to be a subset of people who like to complain :rolleyes:

Trunk warning is a huge improvement.

BS excuse. Once you write something like that, it takes someone really determined and a lot of effort to fix it. The only real answer is a general error is not allowed to be checked in.

Agreed 100%. Beta = release now, forget about it later. Look at the trip planner which has been in beta for a long time now, and this update which supposedly fixes it, did not.

For people like me who did not get any of the later 7.0 release, 7.1 has the time and temp back on the IC, so at least there's that.

True, but technically that's not a 7.1 thing.

Just installed it and tried it. One part is cool, one bizarre …

The cool part is driving out of the town of Middleburg on two-lane Route 50. I activated AP and set speed to 60 in a 25 mph zone. The car first held to 30 (showing a yellow triangle indicating the speed restriction was on) then raised speed to 40 just as it passed the 35 limit sign, raising it again to 55 while passing the 50 limit sign. Right after that point the road widens to a divided highway with a grass median. The warning went away as soon as the white lines appeared and the car accelerated to my 60 mph setting, 10 over the 50 limit. The divided highway lasts a little over a mile, and is basically there to facilitate passing. After that the road narrows back to two lanes. AP continued at 60 for several seconds on the two lane road, but as soon as double yellow turned into dashed yellow the restriction warning came back on and the car slowed fairly sharply to 55, once again 5 over. So restrictions may be annoying in principle, but having the car manage speed while leaving (and I presume entering) small towns is pretty cool. Having 50 or 55 mph two-lane roads that slow to 25 going through little villages is quite common around here. I wish the restriction was 7 mph over instead of 5, since that’s what most cars here do, meaning you would not seem to others like like a slow car, but I can see how Tesla’s offering a 7-over restriction would be fairly random. Oddly, there were no nags on my trip, but I touched the wheel on this test more than I ordinarily would. I will test 7.1 on an interstate this evening.

The bizarre part was using the summon feature to park in my garage. It worked in the sense that it drove near the closed door, opened it with Homelink and drove in, but entering the garage the wheel began cranking and the car ended up parking with a sharp leftward skew (I use the right space in a two car garage). The problem was that because of the odd shape of the garage (deeper and wider on the left side) and shape of the driveway, my wife parks her car skewed to the left in the left bay. Looking at it, the MS exactly matched the skew of her car, so the two were parallel. I wanted my car to be parallel to the right-hand wall of the garage. It took me a while to manually get the MS back out because the tight garage door and the curb to the right just outside the door kept setting off the proximity alarm. The car kept shifting from reverse into park, apparently thinking I was going to hit an obstruction. I managed to ease the car out, but had to put it in gear several times. So summon doesn’t seem suited for my particular circumstances.

Just installed it and tried it. One part is cool, one bizarre …

The cool part is driving out of the town of Middleburg on two-lane Route 50. I activated AP and set speed to 60 in a 25 mph zone. The car first held to 30 (showing a yellow triangle indicating the speed restriction was on) then raised speed to 40 just as it passed the 35 limit sign, raising it again to 55 while passing the 50 limit sign. Right after that point the road widens to a divided highway with a grass median. The warning went away as soon as the white lines appeared and the car accelerated to my 60 mph setting, 10 over the 50 limit. The divided highway lasts a little over a mile, and is basically there to facilitate passing. After that the road narrows back to two lanes. AP continued at 60 for several seconds on the two lane road, but as soon as double yellow turned into dashed yellow the restriction warning came back on and the car slowed fairly sharply to 55, once again 5 over. So restrictions may be annoying in principle, but having the car manage speed while leaving (and I presume entering) small towns is pretty cool. Having 50 or 55 mph two-lane roads that slow to 25 going through little villages is quite common around here. I wish the restriction was 7 mph over instead of 5, since that’s what most cars here do, meaning you would not seem to others like like a slow car, but I can see how Tesla’s offering a 7-over restriction would be fairly random. Oddly, there were no nags on my trip, but I touched the wheel on this test more than I ordinarily would. I will test 7.1 on an interstate this evening.

The bizarre part was using the summon feature to park in my garage. It worked in the sense that it drove near the closed door, opened it with Homelink and drove in, but entering the garage the wheel began cranking and the car ended up parking with a sharp leftward skew (I use the right space in a two car garage). The problem was that because of the odd shape of the garage (deeper and wider on the left side) and shape of the driveway, my wife parks her car skewed to the left in the left bay. Looking at it, the MS exactly matched the skew of her car, so the two were parallel. I wanted my car to be parallel to the right-hand wall of the garage. It took me a while to manually get the MS back out because the tight garage door and the curb to the right just outside the door kept setting off the proximity alarm. The car kept shifting from reverse into park, apparently thinking I was going to hit an obstruction. I managed to ease the car out, but had to put it in gear several times. So summon doesn’t seem suited for my particular circumstances.

Just finished the install a few hours ago and am eager to try it out. Looking forward to that.

But regarding the car switching into park while backing out of the garage, my S does that anytime in reverse and the seat belt is not fastened and I lift my butt off the seat (to see behind me by looking over the seats).

Apparently with the belt unfastened and little weight in the seat the car thinks I've gotten out and shifts itself into park.

A couple of this.

First, I want to thank the 75 NEW PEOPLE who have signed up to use the Firmware tracker over the last 2 days (since the 7.1 roll-out started).

Second, I don't have AP hardware, but I wonder what the limit is on garage parking in terms of how "lined up" do you need to be for the car to park in a garage? See the diagram below. We have a 2-car garage and a 4-car driveway in front of the garage. My g/f's daughter parks her SUV in the lower part of the right driveway, so I can still get my Model S in and out of the garage as the image shows. The left garage and driveway is open so my g/f can freely get in and out of her spot.

Could the Summon/UnSummon handle this kind of parallel parking into the garage by itself?

door.png

I just logged into my router at home and can see a 98.806 mb transfer to the tesla about 4 hours ago. I haven't received any kind of notification that there's an update available though.

Hopefully not too silly a suggestion but have you looked at the touchscreen to see if there is a small, yellow analog clock icon at the top between the Tesla "T" and the bluetooth icon? (For those who may not know what's the indication that an update has been downloaded and is ready to install.)

Just finished the install a few hours ago and am eager to try it out. Looking forward to that.

But regarding the car switching into park while backing out of the garage, my S does that anytime in reverse and the seat belt is not fastened and I lift my butt off the seat (to see behind me by looking over the seats).

Apparently with the belt unfastened and little weight in the seat the car thinks I've gotten out and shifts itself into park.
Thanks. That might have been it. I was craning my neck around to make sure i didn't run into anything and probably lifted off the seat.