Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried my standard interstate highway test run using v7.1: a 40 mile round trip for take-out sushi (I live out on a horse farm). The car nagged twice going out, and three times on the return. As I recall, the most nagging in the past had been twice one way and once the other. When AP first came out there were no nags at all on most of these runs. In total I have done perhaps 20 of these same runs on Interstate 66 with AP on. I assume these nags are programed, since if they only occur when the system is unsure of itself, then that means AP has been regressing, not improving. Conditions were fine today: going out there was good lighting from behind just after sunset, with no shadows and traffic light to moderate. Coming back it was night with clear weather and light traffic.

But the worst was passing a truck at night on the way back: as I was about to overtake the truck on a gentle right-hand curve my car began to swerve nearly off the road to the left. I grabbed the wheel and the system disconnected. I was going 80, him 75, with the speed limit 70 and no other traffic. Very bad. It shakes one's confidence.

I assume that AP would be much less of a hassle if you left those "nags" on the horse farm when you travel :biggrin:

40 miles for sushi? It better be damn good sushi.

It's not about the sushi. It's about the excuse to drive. I've been driving out of state to see family over the weekend just for the drive. And to spend time with the family too of course. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

You are looking at this the wrong way. He gets sushi AND he gets to drive his Tesla for 45 minutes or an hour. Win-win.

You put the win-win part better than I did.

So I received an update notification today. I pressed the X in the upper right, and unless the reviews in here improve a fair amount, I will continue to do so.
What I'm seeing said so far:
-Summon is really neat, but serves no practical purpose and isn't available to me anyway.
-UI is unchanged except for removing one frequently used toggle in the media player.
-AP seems slightly smother, but is reported to nag more (somewhere between "slightly more" and every 3-5 minutes)
-AP restrictions have false positives, and rely on speed limits that the car can't possibly know.

So overall, very very minor improvements at the cost of fairly major drawbacks.
No update here, hopefully the car stops nagging me to downgrade after a while.

I think there is a nag. Just spend 30 minutes testing this.

Interstate road, 12-lanes divided (6 each direction), every 3 minutes for 12 minutes (i.e. 4 times) then I got off. Exactly at the 3minute mark.
Local road, 6 lanes (3 each direction, grass divider, though the car thought it was an undivided highway and restricted AP), every 1minute for 4 minutes (i.e. 4 times).
Then I held the wheel for about 5minutes, and still on the local road it let me drive for 2 minutes, then nagged, and then back down to 1 minute. I think it might be giving me leeway if it sees me holding the wheel.

Up until this evening I was in the "nah, there's no nag" category, but I think there is, as it's repetitive (in whole minute intervals), and I also think the nag is different on different types of roads.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to interrupt the conversation but am I the only one who is curious about new autopilot visualizations. Why there are no videos/photos about new autopilot dashboard that shows cars/trucks/bikes in multiple lanes. I'd like to see how precise it is. Maybe it is too soon to ask..?

Also, nearly all of the summon videos are successful garage enter&exit videos. I'd like to see where summon fails and how it performs in parking lots and other situations.

I'll grab some photos later if no one did yet. It's pretty good (haven't seen bikes yet, it's cold out now) with cars and trucks. It can now show up to 2 (or at least's that's what I've seen) cars per lane, so I've had 5 cars on my screen at the same time.

The issue is that only detects the cars in neighboring lanes that are about 1 cars length ahead of you (I guess the camera isn't wide enough), so it never shows cars parallel to your car.

- - - Updated - - -

You couldn't stop at Bethesda for less than 5 minutes if your life counted on it :)

I have no problem stopping if I need it, but it's so close to home (Fairfax) that I don't see a point of ever going.

FTR, I've never actually been to Bethesda supercharger. Might need to visit it before they move it.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I haven't seen yet is on the IC: while it's now showing multiple cars, it has yet to show me a truck icon or motorcycle like it shows in the manual (or was it a press release pic?)

I've seen trucks, no motorcycles yet (it's cold). Trucks are hit or miss, I've had trucks convert into cars, lol.

... a 40 mile round trip for take-out sushi...

It's not just 40 miles for sushi, it's take-out sushi! I realize that you're in a Model S, and you could probably do 40 miles in 25 minutes -- but still. I like my sushi fresher than that.

As an aside, it always cracks me up when I visit my family in Indiana and the grocery story has a sign up that reads, "Fresh Seafood!" Really? We're in Indiana, people? How fresh can it be?

It's not just 40 miles for sushi, it's take-out sushi! I realize that you're in a Model S, and you could probably do 40 miles in 25 minutes -- but still. I like my sushi fresher than that.

As an aside, it always cracks me up when I visit my family in Indiana and the grocery story has a sign up that reads, "Fresh Seafood!" Really? We're in Indiana, people? How fresh can it be?
Not to be grotesque about this but sushi bars buy (or should buy) certain varieties of fish frozen because freezing kills certain parasites (worms) that would otherwise be dangerous eaten raw.

Many years ago I used to live on the near north side of Chicago. The seafood there was surprisingly good, thanks to the rapid air freight through O'Hare. For some reason the quality in markets isn't as good hear 45 miles west of DC. Before moving here six years ago I used to live in the Boston north shore. Seafood heaven!

So as a Classic S85, some notes about stuff NOT requiring the AP hardware:

-The auto-adjusting display brightness is very responsive and works well. Good improvement

-The HVAC is better now... on auto, it behaves much more like it did pre-7.0. A setting of 72-74 will get the blower up to 5 now... before it would often stay on 1-2

-Garage-door auto-opening/closing is spiffy. I like it.

-With the ability to now not unlock doors with park, I think they need to make a change to not tie interior trunk/frunk controls from the door locks. If I hit park now, I can't open my frunk/trunk from the center console. I have to hit park a second time to unlock the doors, and then I can release the frunk. I understand not allowing the OUTSIDE trunk handle to allow it to open if the doors are locked, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to open either from INSIDE...

-Time and clock on dash is nice. No temp on center console is a step back... it should be there as well (and while at it, let's add date to dash)

-Removal of quick-select on radio sucks... especially if you have many favorites to scroll through instead.

-It may be coincidence, but after enabling the garage auto-open controls, when I pulled in to my garage, my headlights didn't come on like they normally do. I thought perhaps that was because the car realized I was in a garage, and hence not needed. Then when I pulled my door handle to get out, they promptly switched on... since then it's been dark when I've gotten home so I haven't been able to test again.

Not to be grotesque about this but sushi bars buy (or should buy) certain varieties of fish frozen because freezing kills certain parasites (worms) that would otherwise be dangerous eaten raw.

Many years ago I used to live on the near north side of Chicago. The seafood there was surprisingly good, thanks to the rapid air freight through O'Hare. For some reason the quality in markets isn't as good hear 45 miles west of DC. Before moving here six years ago I used to live in the Boston north shore. Seafood heaven!

I lived in Boston for a while too. Really good seafood, but nothing beats the 12 years in lived in Hawaii. But the best sushi ever was in Taiwan. Seriously amazing!

DC sushi is mediocre and expensive. I have in-laws near Boston, sushi up there is good.

Maybe I'm biased, but I grew up in NYC and there are a lot of great sushi places there.

I once paid for a $50 cab ride to go visit In-And-Out for the first time when I was visiting a datacenter in Freemont (years before Tesla Motors).

There's nothing like In-and-Out on the east coast.

Worth every penny.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452567310.993720.jpg

Random Tesla owners enjoying a double double and fries.

Last edited:
Upgrade failure

Got notified that my 85D was ready to install the 7.1 update this morning. Drove to work and just before 8AM had the install proceed. About 2 hours later I got a notification from the app that the upgrade had failed. Went to lunch at noon and the car had a notice about a failed upgrade. That made me think that the changes had been rolled back, but going into the menus I see options for auto part in perpendicular spaces and auto-summon. Has anybody else gotten a partial upgrade? I'm afraid to try the new features until I get notified that the upgrade was successful. What are your thoughts?

Got notified that my 85D was ready to install the 7.1 update this morning. Drove to work and just before 8AM had the install proceed. About 2 hours later I got a notification from the app that the upgrade had failed. Went to lunch at noon and the car had a notice about a failed upgrade. That made me think that the changes had been rolled back, but going into the menus I see options for auto part in perpendicular spaces and auto-summon. Has anybody else gotten a partial upgrade? I'm afraid to try the new features until I get notified that the upgrade was successful. What are your thoughts?

I'd go to your service center if nearby and have them reload the update.

So, autopilot behaves a little differently now. It hugs the right side of the road on two lane roads now, which is something I was always disabling it for when it was too close to the center. I haven't noticed additional nags. They seem the same.

Aside from that, and the stupid restriction, definitely doesn't appear to have "learned" anything specific.

I travel on a stretch of the interstate where two lanes merge without any markings, and for the first time autopilot handled it perfect without a car in front of it. It has now done this twice since getting the update, if it does it again it would suggest it is in fact learning .