Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is discussion in a couple of other threads indicating that Tesla may have pulled the current firmware release. Here's one of those threads. It includes a reference to another.

7.1 yellow clock disappeared before I updated

One poster claims the reason was that some AP cars were losing the radar calibration after updating. That is plausible, as it is exactly what happened to me, as I described in this thread in post number 99:

It's of course hard to tell from the rather small sample size, but it seems plausible as the number of new submissions has gone down quite a bit in the last few hours. Too soon to tell.

As for why people in California apparently haven't received the update... I'm thinking that maybe this is payback for all those superchargers you have down there? Just kidding. No idea, actually. Maybe it's a regulatory thing with Summoning? Is there potentially a California specific issue with that? OK, yeah, I'm just making stuff up now.

I got my update notification yesterday (the 11th) at 9:12am ET but I was on my last day of vacation in New Orleans so wasn't able to update my car in North Carolina right away. Got in last night about 1:10am and started the update right away. It finished about 2:20am ET but I waited until this morning to try things out.

I made a video showing how Summon works for me:

In general here are my first thoughts with the new upgrade overall

- Summon works well in its limited form. It is pretty crazy watching the car drive by itself for the first time!
- Love that the autopilot visuals now show the other cars it detects too. Interesting to see just when it actually picks up another car.
- While in theory I'm not that mad at Tesla for the +5 limit, I think perhaps it needs to be made +10 as others have commented, some roads its simply not safe to drive the speed limit. Personally I do kind of like it though as it forces me to drive safer :) But yeah.. still kind of annoying.. torn
- The car did slow down a bit more around a turn which was nice
- It seems though they cut down the abruptness of turning into oncoming traffic all that was changed was that. My car still swerved "gracefully" into the other lane. I let it go in a bit just to see since there was no traffic at the location of the test... but it did go in and would have caused an accident if it was for real. (this was not a highway.. so theres that)

Overall I haven't done enough testing to give a full review (just one drive to get my dog from his "camp" while I was gone) but I'd say things are going in the right direction. Can't wait until I'll be able to "drive" to the airport then send my car home, then call it back to pick me up!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems though they cut down the abruptness of turning into oncoming traffic all that was changed was that. My car still swerved "gracefully" into the other lane. I let it go in a bit just to see since there was no traffic at the location of the test... but it did go in and would have caused an accident if it was for real. (this was not a highway.. so there's that)

Could you clarify, I'm not quite understanding correctly. The first sentence has me thinking you're making a left turn. The second makes me think you're using auto lane change.

If you are active in other Tesla forums - feel free to suggest that people update the Firmware Tracker at ev-fw.com
How would you deal with duplicate usernames across forums? E.g. there is another MarcG on teslamotors.com forums, but it's not me.
tesla MOTORS.com is not tesla MOTORSCLUB.com. I doubt either site would allow duplicate screen names, you will not be able to marcg over there and the marcg over there cannot be marcg on this site.
Thanks I know that, but it's not what I meant. I was asking Dirk how the ev-fw.com site would handle screen names from different forums that could be duplicates but not the same person. So if the MarcG from teslamotors.com (a different person than me) wanted to log his firmware update on ev-fw.com, he will not be able to since the MarcG handle on ev-fw.com is for my account on teslamotorsclub.com. See the dilemma?
The connection to forum names is ONLY to TMC (and only use for password reset).
So you're saying two people can register in Tracker with the same ID?

Right, so how does someone from another forum log their firmware updates on ev-fw.com, per your suggestion (copied below)? My take is that it's not currently designed to be multi-platform capable.
One way to do this would be to append a prefix to the handle name, such that I would be TMC-MarcG on ev-fw.com but the MarcG dude from teslamotors.com would TM-MarcG.

In order to provide a small amount of accountability, anyone who uses the Firmware Tracker needs a TMC handle. That is verified during registration. This is so (a) nobody needs to provide an email address to register, and (II) PIN reminders are sent via PMs on TMC.

Before I implemented this policy, we were getting a bunch of junk signups and junk records added.

- While in theory I'm not that mad at Tesla for the +5 limit, I think perhaps it needs to be made +10 as others have commented, some roads its simply not safe to drive the speed limit.

Tesla is saying that right now, while Auto Steer is in beta, it is not safe for the software to be used on non-divided highways at all, and that we shouldn't do it. Even so, they are allowing it, with the limitation that the car can't go in excess of 5 MPH over the speed limit, and steer on its own, without the driver also engaging the accelerator pedal. That seems to me to be a pretty fair amount of leniency, considering Tesla is saying the system shouldn't be used under these conditions at all yet.

If you think 5 MPH over the speed limit is too slow to be safe, there's a simple answer: steer the car!

In order to provide a small amount of accountability, anyone who uses the Firmware Tracker needs a TMC handle. That is verified during registration. This is so (a) nobody needs to provide an email address to register, and (II) PIN reminders are sent via PMs on TMC.

Before I implemented this policy, we were getting a bunch of junk signups and junk records added.

Ok great, so to close on this, I believe the conclusion is: other forums' members can NOT sign up to ev-fw.com and add their records using non-TMC forums' handles. They would need to register to the TMC forums first and use their TMC handle on ev-fw.com - I think that covers it, yes?

in California, with a RWD S70, vin 118xxx, no update yet. On the tracker only one S70 has gotten the upgrade. For some reason CA deployment is very slow if at all at this point. This is my first FW update as the car is 3 wks old, how long does it take for them for a complete roll-out usually, one week, 3 weeks ?

Ok great, so to close on this, I believe the conclusion is: other forums' members can NOT sign up to ev-fw.com and add their records using non-TMC forums' handles. They would need to register to the TMC forums first and use their TMC handle on ev-fw.com - I think that covers it, yes?

yes. But how many Model S/X owners are signed up on other forums and still NOT on TMC? I can't imagine it's that many. Nobdoy has raised this issue before, so I don't think it's that big of a deal overall.

Tesla is saying that right now, while Auto Steer is in beta, it is not safe for the software to be used on non-divided highways at all, and that we shouldn't do it. Even so, they are allowing it, with the limitation that the car can't go in excess of 5 MPH over the speed limit, and steer on its own, without the driver also engaging the accelerator pedal. That seems to me to be a pretty fair amount of leniency, considering Tesla is saying the system shouldn't be used under these conditions at all yet.

If you think 5 MPH over the speed limit is too slow to be safe, there's a simple answer: steer the car!
You're ignoring the most common complaint. The car has no clue what roads are divided highways, and has no clue what the speed limits are.

So now it limits you to 35 in a 70 zone on a 6 lane divided highway, and you say " that's fine, you shouldn't be trying to speed on a 2 lane road anyway"

I've said many times, I'm perfectly ok with the stated restriction, what I'm not ok with is the implementation. Until the car can reliably know the speed limits, and reliably map the roads, you just can't make your limits based on either of those criteria.

You're ignoring the most common complaint. The car has no clue what roads are divided highways, and has no clue what the speed limits are.

So now it limits you to 35 in a 70 zone on a 6 lane divided highway, and you say " that's fine, you shouldn't be trying to speed on a 2 lane road anyway"

I've said many times, I'm perfectly ok with the stated restriction, what I'm not ok with is the implementation. Until the car can reliably know the speed limits, and reliably map the roads, you just can't make your limits based on either of those criteria.
Using 7.1 for several hours yesterday and today on several different roads here in Virginia there were no misclassifications, even handling a road that changes from two lanes to four-lanes divided and then back. All speed limit readings were also correct.

Update from my awesome service advisor (thanks Karl, if you're reading this!)

"Just got word that they are starting the roll out this afternoon of 7.1 to California. It still may take a day or two for you to get but it is on its way."

Everyone, if you get 7.1 in California - please report it on the tracker (ev-fw.com) and add "in California" in the optional "Notes" field when entering the data -- this way it's easy to identify the California cars and to track how that part of the rollout is going - without Hank having to add code to his awesome server...

Your arguments aren't the ones being made by the poster I was responding to. That poster was suggesting the cap should be 10 mph over the limit instead of 5. Clearly that would not address your concerns.

As for your concerns, while I have not experienced the issues you have, I have no doubt that they exist. I would hope that as incorrect road types and incorrect speed limits are reported to Tesla that they would somehow update their database, so that the errors become less and less of a problem.

I don't think the solution Tesla came up with is a perfect one. I do think it is better than the one they documented in previous firmware versions, and I'm attempting to give them credit for that.

Does anyone know why the release notes are not available from Tesla Motors' website; it seems to me such an obvious place to put them? I have found them at https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/5891465/Release_Notes_US.0.pdf but why on earth should I have to go to this sort of site for something so useful and interesting?

The way the car displays the firmware release notes is actually pretty cool. It takes into account your particular vehicle's options and displays or hides particular parts based on your particular car. Would make it more difficult to do this in a PDF form or something since they'd have to whip one up for every configuration.

Your arguments aren't the ones being made by the poster I was responding to. That poster was suggesting the cap should be 10 mph over the limit instead of 5. Clearly that would not address your concerns.

As for your concerns, while I have not experienced the issues you have, I have no doubt that they exist. I would hope that as incorrect road types and incorrect speed limits are reported to Tesla that they would somehow update their database, so that the errors become less and less of a problem.

I don't think the solution Tesla came up with is a perfect one. I do think it is better than the one they documented in previous firmware versions, and I'm attempting to give them credit for that.
This is a case where "perfect" may be impossible... There are certainly things that could conceivably go wrong: misidentified type of road, misidentified speed limit (I regularly get on 55 sign on Hwy26 read as 85 (YAY) and a 45mph two lane road where the car things we're in a 25 zone (BOOOO)). That said, in general it seems reasonable to assume that detection quality will go up over time. And I think it is hard to argue that what they are trying to do with the limit is reasonable... Edited to clarify: Grr - not my best job at phrasing things - I meant to say that I think what they are trying to do is reasonable... but I clearly got my figure of speech wrong...

Last edited: