Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summon not working unless I have the car about a foot into the garage. No problem backing it out. My lip is only about 1/4" from driveway into garage if that and I do have a slightly sloped driveway.
Anyone with same problem or any suggestions.
just got it, and the car balks at entering the garage opening, after it stops I just start it from where it stopped and it then continues to park, maybe it will learn my opening and operate "cleaner" as time goes on.

Just a friendly PSA that we really don't need all the "I just got it" or "I'm still waiting for it" posts in this thread. In fact it was an attempt to eliminate those that was one of the reasons the Firmware Upgrade Tracker was developed.

Certainly the first people to receive an update should post. People who are exceptions to the patterns developing, etc. should post, because it is of interest to the group. When it seemed no P90Ds were getting the update, of course it made sense for the first few P90D owners to post about their updates. Since California had apparently been late to start receiving the update, of course it made sense for the first few people in California to post that they were receiving the update.

Obviously everyone is free to post whatever they want. Assuming most of us don't want to post if we think others wouldn't want to read it, I'm merely suggesting that you think twice before posting a "I still don't have it" or an "I just got it" post.

Thanks!

I had backed in manually last night (while still on 7.0) and tried Summon this morning to pull out of my garage. As expected, Summon was aborted as soon as the car sensed the relatively steep incline:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452706712.597931.jpg

For starters, the speed limit issue and the "what kind of road are this" issue are very different. The former the car is obtaining information in real-time, based on what the camera "sees." The latter the car must be referencing some sort of a database. So these really are two very different sets of circumstances, which is why I limited my proposal to the latter.
This is false. There are 2 problems with speed limits, one is that the camera sucessfully reads the signs less than 50% of the time. The second problem is that it pulls speed limits from somewhere other than signs (and they are frequently wrong). Neither of these issues have been fixed, or even improved.

I suggested that you provide a list of a few highways that you travel that you are concerned will be misidentified. You wrote: "I know for a fact that it will limit me frequently on roads that work perfectly on 7.0."

How do I know which ones without going to 7.1? there's nowhere on the cluster that it tells you if it thinks the road is divided or not. I can't give specific locations without going to 7.1 I do know it will happen though, because the maps are atrocious, and other people have reported it doing exactly this. Combined I know that it will do it for me as well.

feedback to Tesla can be provided, and then we can see what Tesla does with the information.
As they have not acted on any feedback I have provided so far, and act very rarely on any feedback provided by customers in general, I don't see why I should lose functionality just so that I can provide feedback that will be ignored.

What possible objection could you have to identifying a few of the roads you think Tesla will misidentify, and allowing others to check whether or not they are, in fact, misidentified?
Ok. please come here and drive every single divided highway in Western Canada. I think that some of these roads will be misidentified. If you can prove that they aren't, I'll upgrade. What possible objection could you have to identifying these roads?

Just got 7.1. On multi-lane highways, should the cars be rendered until you pass them or is it correct that they disappear when they are about 5 feet in front of you? Also, how well do your side-sensors work? Most of the time, I get no indication that there is a car on the right of me (the "glowing" halo to the right almost never displays).

This is false. There are 2 problems with speed limits, one is that the camera sucessfully reads the signs less than 50% of the time. The second problem is that it pulls speed limits from somewhere other than signs (and they are frequently wrong). Neither of these issues have been fixed, or even improved.

How do I know which ones without going to 7.1? there's nowhere on the cluster that it tells you if it thinks the road is divided or not. I can't give specific locations without going to 7.1 I do know it will happen though, because the maps are atrocious, and other people have reported it doing exactly this. Combined I know that it will do it for me as well.

As they have not acted on any feedback I have provided so far, and act very rarely on any feedback provided by customers in general, I don't see why I should lose functionality just so that I can provide feedback that will be ignored.

Ok. please come here and drive every single divided highway in Western Canada. I think that some of these roads will be misidentified. If you can prove that they aren't, I'll upgrade. What possible objection could you have to identifying these roads?

I think it is blatantly obvious at this point that while I am trying to be helpful you are just trying to make a point.

I never suggested that you upgrade. I never suggested that you would have to know which roads would be problematic. I suggested you provide the details of a few highways that you drive that you are worried about, and let others determine for you if they are a problem or not.

Just got 7.1. On multi-lane highways, should the cars be rendered until you pass them or is it correct that they disappear when they are about 5 feet in front of you? Also, how well do your side-sensors work? Most of the time, I get no indication that there is a car on the right of me (the "glowing" halo to the right almost never displays).

The rendering doesn't show cars to your side, only ahead. So if they are in adjacent lanes to yours, they will only show up when they pass you (or you pass them) up to a certain distance in front of you. Check out my videos upthread for some examples.

I think it is blatantly obvious at this point that while I am trying to be helpful you are just trying to make a point.

I never suggested that you upgrade. I never suggested that you would have to know which roads would be problematic. I suggested you provide the details of a few highways that you drive that you are worried about, and let others determine for you if they are a problem or not.
I don't drive one road, I drive roads all over the place. I KNOW there are problems with misidentified roads because it's been reported by several people with 7.1, There's nothing to be gained by myself in randomly guessing at WHERE that will be. I know it will happen, and that's enough.

For now, I'll let others have the limitations, and I'll continue to enjoy my no-limits experience. I have nothing to gain, and everything to lose by going to 7.1

If you want to provide feedback to Tesla, go ahead. Please do, maybe they'll back off on their restrictions, but I highly doubt it. I also highly doubt they'll do anything to fix those locations, that's just not how Tesla has ever worked, it's not "sexy" they'd rather release new features than fix broken ones. I find it easier to just avoid letting them break it.

If you really do want a list, prove that there will be no limits at all on:
Trans Canada Highway Medicine Hat-Vancouver (including the coquihalla)
Alberta QE2 Highway Lethbridge-Edmonton
Alberta Highway 11 Red Deer to Rocky Mountain House
Calgary Deerfoot trail, Stoney Trail, Crowchild Trail, Sarcee Trail, Shaganappi Trail, Bow Trail, Glenmore Trail, Macleod Trail, Nose Hill Drive, John Laurie Blvd, 14th St, Beddington Trail, Symons Valley Blvd, Country Hills Blvd, Metis Trail, Blackfoot Trail, 16th ave, Highway 22x, Highway 8

And that's just off the top of my head, there are probably dozens more these are all divided roads that work perfectly in 7.0, any change in that means I have lost functionality. I could really add all divided roads throughout the lower mainland in BC, as well as interior BC as well. It's not feasible to ask someone to go around and drive every one of these roads in 7.1, find the inevitable spots where the restriction comes on, and provide feedback to Tesla that they will then ignore.

You say I'm "just proving a point", what point are you trying to prove by saying I shouldn't complain if features I've come to enjoy are being removed?

Last edited:
Are you getting this from the module names? Very interested in learning what changes were made to some of things. Most importantly for me is the changes to the BMS, if you know.
Thanks

I can see what versions change in the package. To determine what actually changed, I'd have to disassemble the code of both versions and analyze the differences, which is a lot of work. On the BMS there are 2 blocks of code, one for the TMS320 DSP Microcontoller which is the "main brain" of the BMS, and it's companion CPLD which assists the microcontroller as well as performing error checking and validation. Both of these received changes in 2.9.154.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably an ATM cell.

No ATM anywhere near a Tesla, but that's pretty funny in a geek sort of way! =)

If you really do want a list, prove that there will be no limits at all on:
Trans Canada Highway Medicine Hat-Vancouver (including the coquihalla)
Alberta QE2 Highway Lethbridge-Edmonton
Alberta Highway 11 Red Deer to Rocky Mountain House
Calgary Deerfoot trail, Stoney Trail, Crowchild Trail, Sarcee Trail, Shaganappi Trail, Bow Trail, Glenmore Trail, Macleod Trail, Nose Hill Drive, John Laurie Blvd, 14th St, Beddington Trail, Symons Valley Blvd, Country Hills Blvd, Metis Trail, Blackfoot Trail, 16th ave, Highway 22x, Highway 8

OK. Now we're getting somewhere.

Hopefully some other TMC users in Canada who have already updated to 7.1 who drive those roads will read this and report back on whether those roads are correctly identified as divided or incorrectly identified as undivided. If any are identified incorrectly, I would hope the person identifying the fact would also report it to Tesla. Perhaps progress will be made.

You say I'm "just proving a point", what point are you trying to prove by saying I shouldn't complain if features I've come to enjoy are being removed?

I don't think I've said that. I certainly haven't said it in this most recent discussion.

I agree that Tesla is often very slow to respond to feedback from its customers. I've been extremely critical of Tesla on a number of topics. I'm just willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, and think they have the ability to come up with a system that could work for you. Whether they will or won't is yet to be determined. But it is in everyone's best interest if they do come up with a system that allows for quick correction of roads that incorrectly have the restrictions imposed once those roads have been reported to Tesla and confirmed to be divided highways. I'm genuinely trying to help you and Tesla.

If, for argument's sake, you learned that a month from now Tesla had a system in place that while still mis-categorizing roads regularly allowed for corrections to be called in, confirmed, and implemented in the database within 48 hours, you'd probably be a lot more likely to update than you are now. And even if you wouldn't be, that system would be a much better system than the one in place now.

Perhaps I'm too optimistic. But I really am just trying to help.

I agree that Tesla is often very slow to respond to feedback from its customers. I've been extremely critical of Tesla on a number of topics. I'm just willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, and think they have the ability to come up with a system that could work for you. Whether they will or won't is yet to be determined. But it is in everyone's best interest if they do come up with a system that allows for quick correction of roads that incorrectly have the restrictions imposed once those roads have been reported to Tesla and confirmed to be divided highways. I'm genuinely trying to help you and Tesla.

If, for argument's sake, you learned that a month from now Tesla had a system in place that while still mis-categorizing roads regularly allowed for corrections to be called in, confirmed, and implemented in the database within 48 hours, you'd probably be a lot more likely to update than you are now. And even if you wouldn't be, that system would be a much better system than the one in place now.

Perhaps I'm too optimistic. But I really am just trying to help.
And here we're on the same page. The difference is that I'm a bit less optimistic that this will happen.

Yes, I would commit to going to 7.1 if there was an actual ability to fix those issues in a timely manner. But not in it's current state.

Those glowing halos are blind spot indicators, they don't indicate cars that you can plainly see right beside you.

Just was out and about trying 7.1 for an hour. I personally didn't find more nags with Autosteer, and I'd say this release has more positives (FOR ME) than any drawbacks:

• Very happy with the extension to Homelink -- worked perfectly by just flipping ON both flags on the 17" for only my right garage door where my MS is housed. I had no reprogramming or the wrong door opening as some have reported. When I backed-out, the correct door closed as I got to the street, and it magically opened as I approached and drove right in. Well done. Love it. It's a little thing, but probably what I like best and will use the most in this whole release.
  • As discussed previously, FOR ME, Summon is a gimmick and something to show off in this first iteration. Lots of potential, I agree.
  • As also posted earlier, it appears Autosteer is either a little smarter or is identifying some neighborhood streets as eligible, that it didn't have a clue about before. However that happened (fleet learning or just smarter code) is fine by me.
  • Autosteer worked better for me on the freeway and some long 55MPH surface streets. As others reported, it keeps to the center a little better, so I may well use it more as 7.0 freaked me out riding too close to semi's on my left especially when I had someone on my right in heavier freeway traffic -- I just don't (yet) trust it when I'm boxed-in. I did have my first ever situation with "Take over Steering Immediately" -- geeesss, that was startling even though I knew it was a possibility. Was using Auto Lane Change to my left going 70 down the freeway, holding down the signal in a perfectly clear lane with very visible markers -- got halfway over the line and the beeps and IC pop-up occurred on the freeway. Odd it decided to fail when it did. Tried it a couple times later in different sections of the freeway and had no problem in it's execution.
  • New AutoPilot IC displaying surrounding toy vehicle icons is interesting -- almost distracting to me as so many ghostly vehicles come and go when you are surrounded by traffic, but perhaps that's because the interface is new to me. Found a couple of strange anomalies on it's ID of a Truck and Motorcycle... A large black semi with a full-wrapped skin (an energy drink company), completely threw off ID of it being a truck. It was consistently displayed as a car icon in front of me, when other white semis (and even a red Coke truck) were ID'd correctly. When the black truck was to my left, it displayed as a car but as I pulled ahead, it became a motorcycle. No sun in the camera or glare problems today -- very overcast, so perhaps BLACK trucks with colorful graphics are a bit of a problem in it's current logic. Not a big deal, just always interesting to me as an x-programmer when things like this do and don't work. Oh, was on the road with 2 real motorcycles, and they showed up as they should.
  • Autodim of the IC and 17" for me is a significant improvement, and I appreciate Tesla kept my original setting for the new enhancement.

Overall, as I said before, a worthwhile update for me. It's wishful thinking, but hopefully we get even more basic fixes and improvements, and promoting some more basic Beta things like Calendar in the next round, before much more Beta stuff is introduced. ;)

Last edited:
Still ugly stereo

They said to wait for 7.1 when I got those ugly large buttons on my stereo after 7.0. (Along with other, less than useful, changes) But, I can see that all of the comments about it went unnoticed by the design team. To me, for a $125,000 car, I want a stereo that looks nicer than one that comes from Fisher Price. I've had my display on night mode for 3 months waiting for this update because I was embarrassed showing this car with that stereo. At least on night mode, the black background made the screen a little easier to show. I would usually close the stereo when showing the car.
The fact that they moved some of the icons to the upper corners where you cannot see them, the turn signal indicators to the bottom, and moved the charge to the left instead of in the center, is something I've learned to live with because I understand they really want to concentrate on there new autopilot. But, what about those of us who bought just before the autopilot? Why cant we keep the car we bought? The stereo was nothing special before, but at least it was not a hideous deal breaker. And when the charge icon was in the center, I could tell you exactly what it was on any given day. Now, I barely look at it. But hey, they needed the room for the cool autopilot. Oh, wait, my car doesn't have autopilot. Again, why do I have to put up with the crappy displays? Not what I bought. Not what I want. For sale, loaded Model S! (downgraded stereo included)

7.1 from a 6.2 user's point of view

This may be redundant but I figured since most of you came from 7.0, maybe my perspective is a little different.
Upgrade was a tiny bit bumpy - maybe because this is a less tested version step? I got an "update failed" message on the phone, went out to the car, saw nothing useful. Then another "update available". Started the update again and then got the "update successful".
  • UI: what can I say. My wife really likes it, thinks it's a lot less cluttered. I bemoan the loss of the power meter, the loss of AC details, the flat look... but will grudgingly admit that this is not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess one gets used to it quickly
  • A/C: what the heck? I had my car(s) at the same temperature setting for the last 2.5 years. With 7.1 I need to set the temp about 5°F higher to have about the same perceived temperature (and no, range mode is off)
  • Autosteer: the toy car really conveys the message... this is a high speed adventure ride. Phases of happiness interrupted by moments of sheer terror when the car suddenly appears to steer into oncoming traffic or off the edge of the road (yeah, I know, I'm talking about non-divided Hwy here). In all instances I took over before I got any warnings on the screen. I wasn't quite ready to "see what would happen" if I didn't.
    On the freeway I was seriously impressed. Choice of position in lane was solid most of the time (I guess this is one of the big improvements over 7.0?). I experienced almost no ping-pong. We did get so close to a semi right next to me that I decided to take over once, but since I could see the sensor noticing the truck I assume (hope?) that we wouldn't have touched. Even in rather heavy rain (who would have thought. rain. in Portland. in January...) it did a very nice job.
  • Nag: after reading here (and given that I am certainly still lacking confidence in this) I had my hand on the wheel plus my knee lightly pressed against it. Got two nags total. One when it was getting lost (the lane markings were very hard to see among the tire tracks in the water on the road), one when I got so comfortable that apparently both my knee and my hand barely touched the wheel. Felt totally acceptable to nag me at that point
  • Restrictions: that worked out extremely well for me. There's a 2 lane road @45mph that drops down to 35 before entering a traffic circle. Since 45 really is the highest comfortable speed there I had the TACC set to 45. As we pass the 35 line the car slows down to 40. PERFECT. That's what I would have done otherwise as well. But of course, as discussed here at nauseum, if the car misreads the signs, that's a PITA. BTW: 6.2 would misread speed signs on this very commute all the time. I had not a single misread sign today in heavy rain. Nicely done, Tesla.
  • Oh, back to the UI one more time: the cars and the lines and the lights and all that activity... maybe one gets used to it and ignores it more, maybe I paid more attention because it's all new to me. But I found that more than a little distracting. If my mom (75) came to visit, this is not the car I would suggest she should drive. Which will be a problem if we become a Model S/X only family, I guess.
  • Other comments:
    • why did Tesla take the quick pick audio source button away? I didn't realize that I use that several times a day.
    • the map (both in dash and on the big screen) looks much better without all the frames and other skeuomorphisms we used to have
    • the position of some of the information on the IC still bothers me. Battery and light/high beam are both invisible in my usual sitting position; on the flip side I love that I have an icon for the hill hold

Summary: I'm pretty happy. I don't regret holding out, from what I read here I think I would have liked 7.0 a lot less. But this is solid. It's a step forward. Yes, I said it. Go ahead, make fun of me.