Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never seen any evidence that the rear camera is used for anything other than conveying video to the driver via the console, annotated with lines that project where the edges of the car are going based on the position of the steering wheel. I think that Autopark is using only the rear ultrasonic sensors. Anyone have information to the contrary?

I did not mean to imply the camera was used. I was referring to the "sight" (also in quotes) provided by the ultrasonic sensors, that's all.

Got an update overnight and this morning summon was not working. No errors but holding fob for 5 seconds did not initiate. Also noticed that double tab of park also no longer initiates summon and does nothing.

I checked setting and all still active for summon so appears to be a bug in latest update. Auto pilot when driving is working fine.

As my garage is small I rely on summon to get the car in and out so was interesting situation climbing across the seats this morning..

Anyone else get update this week and experiencing similar problems?

I noticed another small but important improvement in autopilot on an extended drive with 2.20.30 today.

Previously (up to an including 2.17.37) when passing a large vehicle like a large truck or semi, autopilot like to move to side of the lane where the vehicle was - if the vehicle was to my right, the car would drift right in the lane, as if the airflow from the large vehicle was pulling the car closer. I don't know if this effect was especially bad in 2.17.37 or it just got burned in my consciousness because I did a 6000 mile road trip on that version with heavy autopilot use. It is a bit unnerving, because my preference is to get further away, not closer to the semi. I have seen others report on this disconcerting behavior over many past releases.

I no longer experienced this tendency with 2.20.30. Even when passing a large vehicle, the car stayed centered in the lane (on straights) or did what it normally does on a curve when no other vehicle is present. No more trying to cozy up to the semi. Yeah!

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed oddness with the Driver's Door Only setting for door unlocking/auto-presenting door handle? As in, walk up to car, car detects keyfob, and only driver's door handle auto-presents? I love that feature, and have my car set that way.

But since one of the recent 7.1 updates, often when I approach the car from either side, all four door handles auto-present. There doesn't seem to be a predictable pattern, only that it happens seemingly randomly about 1/3 of the time. What's up with that?

I think a lot of people, who tend to give large vehicles extra clearance by drifting over a bit to the opposite side of their lane, interpret
the Tesla's "lack of deference" as "cozying up".
I paid closer-than-usual attention to this yesterday by looking at where the cartoon car was shown in the cartoon lane. It was indeed depicted as cozying up to the truck. So if someone was imagining things, it was both me and the car.

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ
Main screen just reset while driving on the freeway! For no reason!

Kind of scary but car was still driving ok.
That's happened to me twice recently, both times when driving into or out of Chicago. Which I don't do that often, so I'm not sure it's coincidence. Leading up, both times I was getting horrific audio skipping so I wonder if it wasn't some combination of the media player using the CPU, the nav system using more CPU and memory than usual due to the greater complexity of the road system around CHI than where I usually am, and a memory leak well-exercised by the long drive. Then again, it might just be something peculiar to 2.20.30.

Reactions: DoubleE
That's happened to me twice recently, both times when driving into or out of Chicago. Which I don't do that often, so I'm not sure it's coincidence. Leading up, both times I was getting horrific audio skipping so I wonder if it wasn't some combination of the media player using the CPU, the nav system using more CPU and memory than usual due to the greater complexity of the road system around CHI than where I usually am, and a memory leak well-exercised by the long drive. Then again, it might just be something peculiar to 2.20.30.

Exact same thing happened to me! Audio skipping and navigation freezing.

There is no danger or problem rebooting your CID while driving. It will not affect any critical systems. You'll briefly lose HVAC, Navigation, and audio, but things like AutoPilot and collision avoidance will still work normally.

Sometimes the QT GUI app will crash, which looks like a reboot, only it's much shorter. In that event, I recommend a full reboot, as it could be memory leak problems causing the app to crash in the first place.

Got an update overnight and this morning summon was not working. No errors but holding fob for 5 seconds did not initiate. Also noticed that double tab of park also no longer initiates summon and does nothing.

I checked setting and all still active for summon so appears to be a bug in latest update. Auto pilot when driving is working fine.

As my garage is small I rely on summon to get the car in and out so was interesting situation climbing across the seats this morning..

Anyone else get update this week and experiencing similar problems?

A couple times in the past there have been reports about setting being ON or OFF and the opposite behavior being noticed after an update. Usually, switching it to the other setting, rebooting via the scroll wheels, switching it back, and rebooting again clears it up and restores the intended behavior.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
There is no danger or problem rebooting your CID while driving. It will not affect any critical systems.
It appears to affect the turn signals, which I would class as a system important for safety. "Critical" might be going a bit far. It's possible it only affects the turn signal user feedback, and the signal continues to silently function, but I've no way of knowing that absent experimentation with a collaborator to watch for me.

Losing nav is even less critical than that, and of course in principle a driver should be prepared to lose nav at any time without freaking out, but practically speaking it can be consternating if you were anticipating a maneuver in the near future, and can lead to erratic driving. I'll grant you this one (although not the turn signals) can be brushed off as "driver is responsible."

It appears to affect the turn signals, which I would class as a system important for safety. "Critical" might be going a bit far. It's possible it only affects the turn signal user feedback, and the signal continues to silently function, but I've no way of knowing that absent experimentation with a collaborator to watch for me.

Like every other car built in the last 20-odd years, the turn signal click sound is simulated by the computer and fed in to the sound system. If you reboot the CID, presumably taking audio with it, I would expect the clicks to go away until it comes back on line.