Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I remember reading in the release notes that added WiFi (way back) that regardless of whether you have WiFi turned on or off it will always connect to the Service Center's WiFi and no setup is required of the user.

I'll have to go see if I can find that.

Mike
I think you're right. In fact "Tesla Service Center" is listed in my wifi connection choices and I never set that up. Tesla did before I picked up my car.

I'm still on 2.20.30. No local service center near me to try, but I'll be in Houston in a couple of weeks. If I don't get updated before then I might try swinging by one of the service centers there and see what happens.

I stopped by the Coasta Mesa service center this evening on our way to dinner. Sat the for about 10 minutes.

After ordering dinner, I got a notification about an update pending.

I suspect geo fencing now to just help them trigger builds for vehicles that come in. That's 2 for 2 for me by going to the service center.

OK, I was a bit skeptical of this SC/firmware update connection as well, but here's the same story as others have told:

1. Been on 2.20.30 for over 5 weeks (received the update over my WiFi at home on 5/27/16, installed it on 5/28/2016). I have a massively powerful WiFi access point at home, and I get 5 lines (full signal strength) in the car when its in the garage. It's connected to it every night.
2. Have not been to a service center from that date until now.
3. Stopped by the Houston-North Fwy service center today to supercharge. (Supercharger, Gallery, and Service Center is all together).
4. Checked the WiFi when I got into the supercharger stall. The only one listed was "Tesla Guest" and it was password-protected, so I didn't connect to it.
5. Supercharged for 20 minutes.
6. I was busy taking a walk, so I didn't get back to the car until 10 minutes after the supercharge finished, total 30 minutes in the supercharger stall.
7. Checked WiFi when I got back in the car, it was connected to "Tesla Service", which had not appeared earlier. However, the signal strength was very low, I'm not sure it really had a good connection.
8. I disconnected from the supercharger and drove out of the parking lot.
9. Literally 60 seconds after I left the parking lot, the software update icon appeared on the IC. I had just completed the U-Turn under the North Freeway to head south.

I make no claims that the WiFi has anything to do with it, nor do I have any evidence that geofencing is responsible. But if this is simply a coincidence and has nothing to do with the service center visit, then it's an extraordinary one. There have been 14 other firmware builds since 2.20.30, starting with 2.20.45 on 5/28, and I haven't received a single one.

It's been 36 days since I installed 2.20.30, which is 51,840 minutes. I received this new update (installing now, so I don't know what build yet) on minute 51,841, after visiting a service center that I never go to or drive by.

Believe what you will.

Edit: Install completed, it's build 2.24.102.

OK, I was a bit skeptical of this SC/firmware update connection as well, but here's the same story as others have told:

1. Been on 2.20.30 for over 5 weeks (received the update over my WiFi at home on 5/27/16, installed it on 5/28/2016). I have a massively powerful WiFi access point at home, and I get 5 lines (full signal strength) in the car when its in the garage. It's connected to it every night.
2. Have not been to a service center from that date until now.
3. Stopped by the Houston-North Fwy service center today to supercharge. (Supercharger, Gallery, and Service Center is all together).
4. Checked the WiFi when I got into the supercharger stall. The only one listed was "Tesla Guest" and it was password-protected, so I didn't connect to it.
5. Supercharged for 20 minutes.
6. I was busy taking a walk, so I didn't get back to the car until 10 minutes after the supercharge finished, total 30 minutes in the supercharger stall.
7. Checked WiFi when I got back in the car, it was connected to "Tesla Service", which had not appeared earlier. However, the signal strength was very low, I'm not sure it really had a good connection.
8. I disconnected from the supercharger and drove out of the parking lot.
9. Literally 60 seconds after I left the parking lot, the software update icon appeared on the IC. I had just completed the U-Turn under the North Freeway to head south.

I make no claims that the WiFi has anything to do with it, nor do I have any evidence that geofencing is responsible. But if this is simply a coincidence and has nothing to do with the service center visit, then it's an extraordinary one. There have been 14 other firmware builds since 2.20.30, starting with 2.20.45 on 5/28, and I haven't received a single one.

It's been 36 days since I installed 2.20.30, which is 51,840 minutes. I received this new update (installing now, so I don't know what build yet) on minute 51,841, after visiting a service center that I never go to or drive by.

Believe what you will.

Edit: Install completed, it's build 2.24.102.
Yeah, this is looking more and more like this is a real thing. At first I thought it was total coincidence but now I'm becoming a believer.

I also suspect that being offered an update may also be based off what version you're currently on. Those folks that got the earlier 2.24 builds got a bunch more 2.24 builds.... but some of us on 2.20.30/50 were only offered a direct upgrade to 2.24.102.

I suspect Tesla found some bugs in the initial 2.24 rollout and wanted to be sure early adopters get that patched.

Reactions: ZeroDarkSilver
No problem. I think you select your username from a drop down and then select PIN. After than you enter in your firmware version and into about your car. Usually @HankLloydRight , @dirkhh are here to help if you have problems but I should be self explanatory.

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

The install-date tracker is a great resource, thanks.
On your spreadsheet you add one to the day that a member installes a new version.

If you also subtract one on that day in the previously installed version's row,
the total would become the number currently installed, rather than the number
that were ever installed.

That would be cool new feature, I think, ... to show better when a version has
actually become obsolete, and when it was phased out, thus indicating the
version's lifetime.

I think that it would be very easy to implement, with just one minor change in the code.

You could even retain the current function with a checkbox, or pair of radio buttons,
to show the "currently installed" or the "installation history".

Of course, you could do a spreadsheet using only the last entry in each car's
record, to show the versions currently installed, but that would not show the
lifetime of the revision.

Just a suggestion, trying to make your great resource even better.

I sent you a PM with my phone number.
Cheers, Gary

Nothing wrong. The spreadsheet is created from the user-entered data of the dates the owner installed a new revision, and the revision number, right?

The row total on the spreadsheet shows the total number of that revision that were installed, by reporting owners.

With the suggested small change, the total of the row could show the number of cars that are currently using each version. The total would grow as the revisions are first installed, but begin to shrink as, weeks or days later, those revisions are replaced with a newer revision.

Can you explain what you mean here? I see no such discrepancies.

Nothing wrong. The spreadsheet is created from the user-entered data of the dates the owner installed a new revision, and the revision number, right?

The row total on the spreadsheet shows the total number of that revision that were installed, by reporting owners.

With the suggested small change, the total of the row could show the number of cars that are currently using each version. The total would grow as the revisions are first installed, but begin to shrink as, weeks or days later, those revisions are replaced with a newer revision.

Another way to put it is that Gary is asking for a "running total" for each firmware version and thus, as one reports upgrading their car to a new version, the tracker decrements their entry from the total of the prior version.

So rather than "total ever" for each version, it turns to "total as of today" for each version (as reported of course).

Reactions: MP3Mike
Right, the current total (#updates) would become the total-today (TT), and one could add another "total ever" (TE or, total-installed TI) column, summing up only the row numbers greater than zero, and that would still show the presently displayed total-ever value ... the best of both worlds, I think. The TT column would show the total-today value.

Last edited:

First, can you please not refer to it as a spreadsheet? Thinking it works like a spreadsheet is not the way to think about it. It doesn't "add one" or "subtract one" from anything. It's a database of records of firmware updates, and then database queries are used to aggregate and present the data in a tabular format. It's not a spreadsheet.

Right, the current total (#updates) would become the total-today (TT), and one could add another "total ever" (TE or, total-installed TI) column, summing up only the row numbers greater than zero, and that would still show the presently displayed total-ever value ... the best of both worlds, I think. The TT column would show the total-today value.

I see what you're saying, I'll look into it. But you're really asking for just one additional thing, the total number of currently installed firmware builds. In your example above, you suggest replacing the existing "#updates" with "#currently-installed", and then adding back "#updates", but as a new column, and changing it's name to "total-installed". It's easier to just say "please add one column that shows the number of currently installed updates" without the confusing column or variable names. Thanks.

I think that it would be very easy to implement, with just one minor change in the code.

BTW, it's not one minor change to the code. Since it's a database application, it doesn't work like that.

Reactions: Richg
Ok, like I said, it wasn't a minor code change, took me about an hour to create the intermediate steps required to compute the current number of installed builds. But it's also misleading/somewhat inaccurate. The current number of installed builds depends on all users keeping their firmware build records updated. The number displayed only reflects those users who have kept their records up to date. So the current number could actually be lower for the most recent builds, and higher for older builds simply because people have not updated their records to the most current version they are actually running.

Something like this page on Teslalog.com which actively queries the firmware version in real time would be a much better way to measure this, but this page appears to be down right now: Tesla Logs - Global Version History and it's only polling cars/users who have signed up for that service (and requires MyTesla login credentials).

edit: that page is up, just takes a while to load.