Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ccutrer You are correct, the last software update .100 placed a 30 second delay following pressing to lock for the auto present for the driver's door. So if you lock the car and walk near the driver's side the drivers door will not revert to auto present inadvertently. The also made one click close a selectable option, those with "skinny jeans" don't bend over and close the doors on themselves. lol.

I had a lot of issues with my fobs before my recent SC visit. My car wouldn't unlock on proximity and opening the charge port door with a press on the door required me unlocking the car first (or using the trunk button, which did work). They updated the firmware on my fob and it's vastly better now. So if you have weirdness and an older (March?) fob, you may want to see if your SC can flash it.

@systemcrashed and @ohmman I just went through the settings. If the Auto Present is OFF, then there is no need to use the FOB to open the doors. Pressing the handle of any door with the FOB in the pocket will suffice. However, unless you open a door first, then the charge port remains locked and will not open or release the charging cable. Once any door handle is depressed the X unlocks the charge port -- no use of the FOB is needed. I had my FOB's re-flashed a couple months ago by the SC. Maybe that is the issue. BTW, you need to take BOTH FOBs to have them flashed at the same time along with the car. Hope that helps... thanks for the reminder Ohmman!

I did learn that the Charge Port will not open with Auto Present OFF, until you at least press a door handle to open.

My default is Auto Present ON. I only turn off at certain times -- washing the X, in cities (rarely) with parallel parking, etc. Otherwise, it is ON and the Charge port Opens as the X unlocks on proximity. I guess one's selection is a personal need or preference.

Reactions: aesculus
I had a lot of issues with my fobs before my recent SC visit. My car wouldn't unlock on proximity and opening the charge port door with a press on the door required me unlocking the car first (or using the trunk button, which did work). They updated the firmware on my fob and it's vastly better now. So if you have weirdness and an older (March?) fob, you may want to see if your SC can flash it.

I didn't realize the fobs had firmware now. If this is because it's the new bluetooth version of the fob, it would be nice if there was a way to update the fob FW OTA, similar to how most other bluetooth devices can (sometimes) update their FW via the BT connection. It would be slow and clunky, but better than a trip to the SC.

My default is Auto Present ON. I only turn off at certain times -- washing the X, in cities (rarely) with parallel parking, etc. Otherwise, it is ON and the Charge port Opens as the X unlocks on proximity. I guess one's selection is a personal need or preference.

I decided to try out the auto present feature for the first time since owning MX. Turned it on this afternoon. First ride out with it enabled my passenger door would not close properly! Problem looked like the same "notorious latch issue" plaguing early builds. I panicked slightly, door would not latch properly, window would not go up etc. I realized the only thing that was different with my configuration was that I had just enabled auto present. I immediately turned the feature OFF and the doors are functioning nominally. I will write this up for my SC, this might not be hardware related after all. I'm sure there are many who use auto present without a problem, but I suspect that calibration is being reset when it is switched over.

I decided to try out the auto present feature for the first time since owning MX. Turned it on this afternoon. First ride out with it enabled my passenger door would not close properly! Problem looked like the same "notorious latch issue" plaguing early builds. I panicked slightly, door would not latch properly, window would not go up etc. I realized the only thing that was different with my configuration was that I had just enabled auto present. I immediately turned the feature OFF and the doors are functioning nominally. I will write this up for my SC, this might not be hardware related after all. I'm sure there are many who use auto present without a problem, but I suspect that calibration is being reset when it is switched over.

Wow... that is odd. Auto Present has no affect on the other doors that I use. Are you on 2.32.100 firm ware. If it is affecting the window, make sure the SC checks the window regulator in that door. Sorry to hear. I assure you, it should not affect the passenger door at all. Something else is going on. Mine is an April Delivery, maybe something in the earlier models.

Wow... that is odd. Auto Present has no affect on the other doors that I use. Are you on 2.32.100 firm ware. If it is affecting the window, make sure the SC checks the window regulator in that door. Sorry to hear. I assure you, it should not affect the passenger door at all. Something else is going on. Mine is an April Delivery, maybe something in the earlier models.
I'm on 2.34.115 but the most interesting thing is that when I switched the auto present option off my doors and windows behaved normally. They are still working fine tested them out several times since.