Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if the 8.0 rollout will be staggered between S and X. The only reason it comes to mind is that the X firmware is still being tweaked for things like door sensitivity and operational parameters. Doesn't seem likely, but it does have me wondering.

I don't think so, they do share firmware but they will likely rollout the latest to both, then incrementally choose who to push out again beyond that. They will have to pick that best version of X minor software to include though in the mass rollout.

I'm curious if the 8.0 rollout will be staggered between S and X. The only reason it comes to mind is that the X firmware is still being tweaked for things like door sensitivity and operational parameters. Doesn't seem likely, but it does have me wondering.
@ohmman, I'm curious, do you notice if your S gets updates consistently before the X (or vice-versa)?

• Disagree
Reactions: dwebb66
I am unable to make a conclusion either way. The 8.0 thing was really just a random guess.
I guess the question I should have asked was, is your S and X on the same version number?

If they are the same, then it's one software version that's pushed out randomly to all vehicles (S and X).

If they are different, then they would have 2 difference "pushes", so it may be that one model will likely get updated before the other.

As for AP in current sw pack, do any of you notice a very gentle lateral right and left sinusoidal drive pattern of AP? I notice a very subtle left/right motion that bugs me. Not enough to report to SC, but noticeable...
Does it matter what song is playing on the radio?

FWIW, I haven't noticed any swaying, but I listen to rock mostly.

More seriously, I'll pay close attention the next time I have AP on and report back.

I guess the question I should have asked was, is your S and X on the same version number?

If they are the same, then it's one software version that's pushed out randomly to all vehicles (S and X).

If they are different, then they would have 2 difference "pushes", so it may be that one model will likely get updated before the other.
Not random as others have posted. Location dependent favoring being at SC, maybe that's all to the order (S or X)

As for AP in current sw pack, do any of you notice a very gentle lateral right and left sinusoidal drive pattern of AP? I notice a very subtle left/right motion that bugs me. Not enough to report to SC, but noticeable...
Yes, when the lane is wide, it bounces back and forth. In particular the carpool lane here is separated from regular lanes by a double white lane, with sometimes a several foot gap. When entering the carpool lane, AP will often track the second line as the lane line, think the lane is extra extra wide. If I can't get it to ignore the right hand side, or see the correct line, the bouncing is so bad I have to turn AP off.

I've had this issue before on one particular roadway.

screen-shot-2014-11-23-at-12-01-42.jpg

I mostly use AP in the carpool lanes and I do recall a couple of oscillations back and forth (typically around entry/exit points where the double solid lines are replaced by a single broken line) but it quickly recovers and drives straight.

Again, I'll pay closer attention next time I'm using AP. However, I'm hoping that this AP algorithm will be replaced soon by a much better algorithm. It drives like a computer, finding the middle of the lane and sticking to it. Humans don't drive this way, since we rarely drive dead center.

For example, when passing a large truck on one side and a clear shoulder on the other, we tend to drive closer to the shoulder. AP still takes that center line and gets too close to the big truck for my liking.

This morning I had a unique oscillation in the far left lane on my commute. I have driven this route everyday since getting the MX, this is the first time it has done this. Highway is newly paved and painted, AP is usually very tight and spot on, today it oscillated left to right as if it was looking for the lines. still running 2.34.115

Probably a moot point since v8.0 or 8.1 will happen soon, but while in stop & go traffic and AP tracking car in front, my X has a bias to left.

Probably all our sensors have some unique bias, and a software/control ability to tweek that bias would be welcome.

I have a feeling everyone perceives a different bias because we internally compensate for sitting on the left side estimating where center is. I've never followed a non-Tesla where the driver consistently tracks the center of the lane. Even with no obstacles, I find most drivers bias towards the left.

For example, when passing a large truck on one side and a clear shoulder on the other, we tend to drive closer to the shoulder. AP still takes that center line and gets too close to the big truck for my liking.

I experience the same behavior when passing a truck. I attributed this to the vacuum that exists as the truck is displacing the air in front of it. AP tries to hold center but may not be resisting it enough. (Just a theory)