Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experience the same behavior when passing a truck. I attributed this to the vacuum that exists as the truck is displacing the air in front of it. AP tries to hold center but may not be resisting it enough. (Just a theory)
Next time you pass a truck, check both your side mirrors. You should see that the X is dead center in the lane (it is for me). No human would drive that way, especially if there is an open shoulder on the other side.

The same is true when driving around a bend. We tend to drift to the inside of the lane, but AP stays dead center in the lane.

Next time you pass a truck, check both your side mirrors. You should see that the X is dead center in the lane (it is for me). No human would drive that way, especially if there is an open shoulder on the other side.

The same is true when driving around a bend. We tend to drift to the inside of the lane, but AP stays dead center in the lane.
I agree. This is very noticeable. I do wonder, however: which behavior is preferable?

I'd prefer the most human like. Hug the inside lane on a turn, hold center down a straight away, and give more space between me and a car I am passing, as long as there are no cars on the opposite side. In other words, predict my behavior! Lots of luck with that one, as my wife still cant predict my behavior after 24 years! No matter what I say or do, I'm a lousy driver, despite no at-fault accidents in 15+ years....now don't ask about her driving record for accidents...but she is not a speedster like me.

• Informative
Reactions: PacManMX

I agree we can perceive a drift that really isn't happening , although at higher speeds there is a definite drift as you enter the wake of a truck, others on TMC have described it as a "magnetic attraction".

I felt the "movement" was similar to an oscillation early with my X. However, based on a forum post, I changed the Steering mode to Standard instead of Sport. Sport seemed to over-steer in AP mode. Since, the X stays solidly in the lane with little or no over-steering (oscillation).

Glad to see I'm not the only one that realized I cheat the left side of the lane when passing trucks. Funny that AP was what made me realize it. I did, however, realize I hug the inside of turns a long time ago. Something about learning proper lines from many years of ski and bike racing.

Anyway, yeah, definitely looking forward to AP mimicking this behavior.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that realized I cheat the left side of the lane when passing trucks
I took transportation engineering courses in college, and we wrote a software program that used real data to determine how far people move over in these conditions. I don't remember everything (sadly, this was longer ago than I care to consider) but I do recall that the human reaction is reasonably predictable.

I'm not one to jump to the conclusion that what we do as humans is the "best," but in this case, I agree that it's probably the most preferable for driver comfort. As far as traffic safety, it's hard to know for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
I use auto pilot extensively and love it but the most frequent reason I take over control is passing a truck on the left on the highway when the road is turning somewhat sharply left. The car almost always seems too close to the truck for comfort in this specific scenario. I have concluded that there are multiple things that are occurring - 1) the car stays centered in the lane, 2) the truck is typically very far to the left in its lane during the turn, 3) the truck is slowing a bit to accommodate the turn, making it more likely that this will be a scenario where the car is overtaking the truck, 4) the visual of a large adjacent truck on the right during the turn is inherently uncomfortable.

It seems that unless the truck gets really close, autopilot is comfortable maintaining center. Almost no one would drive the car this way. The good news is that if I have read the 8.0 notes correctly, it sounds like the car will move off center if the truck is close. Can't wait for 8.0 and will certainly report on results as there is a section of highway I drive regularly where this is easy to reproduce.

I liked it the old way too. I still needed two fob inputs to get the charger unlocked and get into the car though if I did not want to open the driver door right away. Now instead of holding tailgate button down 3secs to remove charger, the first dbl click takes care of that, still need to do it again to open the door.

Since the car "watches" your approach via RF of fob (for auto present) what if sensor activity can be integrated as well.

An good idea would be, when we approach the rear left quarterpanel (charge port) with the fob the ultrasonic sensors in the driver side fwd and left rear bumper would activate an unlock of the charge port without input from the fob.

So three conditions need to be met within a set period of time when car is locked and charging. 1) charge cable is engaged and locked 2) fob approaching 3) ultrasonic sensor near charge port detects you nearby
The charge port would then disengage the lock but remain charging until you push the button to stop it and remove the cable.

Sometimes, I want to unplug only without opening my door, still loading the kids etc. I would still like to double click to unlock and open driver door right away when I'm not.

Reactions: vandacca
I liked it the old way too. I still needed two fob inputs to get the charger unlocked and get into the car though if I did not want to open the driver door right away. Now instead of holding tailgate button down 3secs to remove charger, the first dbl click takes care of that, still need to do it again to open the door.

Since the car "watches" your approach via RF of fob (for auto present) what if sensor activity can be integrated as well.

An good idea would be, when we approach the rear left quarterpanel (charge port) with the fob the ultrasonic sensors in the driver side fwd and left rear bumper would activate an unlock of the charge port without input from the fob.

So three conditions need to be met within a set period of time when car is locked and charging. 1) charge cable is engaged and locked 2) fob approaching 3) ultrasonic sensor near charge port detects you nearby
The charge port would then disengage the lock but remain charging until you push the button to stop it and remove the cable.

Sometimes, I want to unplug only without opening my door, still loading the kids etc. I would still like to double click to unlock and open driver door right away when I'm not.
Great idea!! This is the last awkward functionality that could use some fixing. Write that code and upload it to GitHub, then forward the link to Elon! :)

I have trouble following this. Evidently, your X doesn't have Premium upgrade package. My door/charge port unlock automatically when I approach the vehicle. I don't press anything on the FOB to unlock the doors or the charge port. If I need to plug-in the charger, it opens automatically when I press the top of the charge wand (release button) and closes automatically when unplugged. Whether I have Auto Door active or not, the X unlocks. If you have Premium Upgrade, then something in your setting may be the issue.

I have trouble following this. Evidently, your X doesn't have Premium upgrade package. My door/charge port unlock automatically when I approach the vehicle. I don't press anything on the FOB to unlock the doors or the charge port. If I need to plug-in the charger, it opens automatically when I press the top of the charge wand (release button) and closes automatically when unplugged. Whether I have Auto Door active or not, the X unlocks. If you have Premium Upgrade, then something in your setting may be the issue.
I need to pay attention next time, but my memory says that a recent update allowed something about approach to unlock (without auto present door). And I feel like a single double tap opens the front door. So maybe if people enable the new setting, they won't need a double double tap.

And wow, after describing that, I feel like we're going to need a cheat sheet soon for how to do what with the fob - left, right, left, right, A, B, Start!

• Funny
Reactions: systemcrashed
I see a lot of inconsistency with the lock unlock behavior. For example, this morning when I dbl clicked the fob the driver door opened the first time.

Evidently, your X doesn't have Premium upgrade package.
I do have PUP, but I do not have auto present enabled... this may solve the unlock upon approach for the charger but I dont want the driver door to open everytime. Maybe they can seperate those functions out.

• Love
Reactions: Gwgan