Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the 7.0 beta phase Tesla claimed to have over 700 people in the beta program. Seems like a lot to me.

Let's assume there are less than 1024 beta testers. It's trivial to somehow encode just 11 bits of information on the screen in a way that's not apparent to human viewers, but very easy to detect regardless of camera angle or resolution. Corners/borders of screens or icons that are slightly different. Very easy to do if they wanted to track individual beta test releases.

Let's assume there are less than 1024 beta testers. It's trivial to somehow encode just 11 bits of information on the screen in a way that's not apparent to human viewers, but very easy to detect regardless of camera angle or resolution. Corners/borders of screens or icons that are slightly different. Very easy to do if they wanted to track individual beta test releases.

Exactly. Just adding 10 minor UI variations (e.g. pixels spacing, left vs right justified icons, size of the border between split apps, maybe even some artwork/icon changes) could identify 1024 users and those things can easily survive a blurrycam photo. Slightly more sophisticated approaches can be even better than that.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Here's probably the easiest way to encode 11 bits of information. Just vary the "graph" in the Energy icon:

upload_2016-7-25_14-34-38.png

Looks like it plots 8 points (but could easily be 10 points), and if there are 100 pixels of resolution, that's 1000 users you could track. And that's just one icon.

And there's all kinds of things you could do with this icon to increase the user space -- rotation, number of intersecting points, etc.
upload_2016-7-25_14-38-13.png

And these work even in black-and-white images (hopefully that IS valet mode).

edit to add: I'd probably use the globe/browser icon as a checksum for the energy icon. :)

Last edited:
If I was a beta tester I would absolutely guard that information. It wouldn't even be about ethics for me. It would simply be that I wouldn't want to get the boot. As a beta tester you never really know if what you have is legit. Sometimes they might give you a fake update just to see if you leak it.

Now that isn't because I don't have ethics. I am a beta tester for a different product that I can't say, and I don't share anything. I don't even though I hate the product (it's basically death), and could care less about being a beta tester. I don't say anything because I'm bound by my word.

So Tesla double traps someone. Both in not wanting to get the boot, but also ethically. So it's likely that what we see is purposeful leaks. Where they want to see what our reaction is.

So don't be surprised if we see "leaks" that seem downright awful. Like losing color for a GUI feature.

I don't know that you need to hide the fact that the screen is unique to each beta tester. They know they're beta testers, they know they're supposed to keep that info secret. Just put a colored but transparent watermark over the whole screen that has their tester number, similar to the way the instrument cluster says "FACTORY MODE" when that mode is enabled. They'd still be able to see and interact with all software, but any photos of the screen will always have their ID superimposed over everything.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
You don't think they could write a simple firmware routine to dynamically generate the energy graph dynamically based on the VIN?

Or even simpler still, have the MCU call out to a tesla server to retrieve the image based on VIN or the API vehicle_id. No custom firmware needed. It would only need to do this once upon each firmware upgrade as part of the upgrade routine.

:)

Zichtbare wijzigingen op het eerste zicht:

Betere waarschuwing voor dode hoek (rode rijstrook en richtingaanwijzer)
Afstand tot vorige wagen (blauwe strook)
Duidelijker Autopilot symbool
Snelheidslimiet aanduiding op andere locatie
Andere rijstrook aanduiding op scherm (volle lijn / stippellijn)