Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The number of Superchargers has grown since the initial listing format was added to the touchscreen. I think Tesla needs to revisit the sequencing of Superchargers for us to select. The logic seems to be that they are listed on the touchscreen by radial proximity to our current location. The radius is as the crow flies. Trying to find the next SC on our route sometimes involves scrolling on the touchscreen, accidentally pressing in the wrong place, getting the wrong spot, etc. etc. This is a mild annoyance for me, and extremely vexing for my wife. There has to be an easier way to identify the SC we want without searching so much.

+1 for this. Living in the Northeast/NY area, there are a ton of SCs that appear on the list within the radius of the SC I'm trying to find. Lots of unnecessary scrolling. There should be a better UI to select the desired SC. Maybe an interactive map by State.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
AVOID TOLLS

Attachments

• P_20160703_141313.jpg
    P_20160703_141313.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 256
Mine is 2.20.45, but my car is Japanese so we have different firmware. Without this option the nav will try to spend a few dollars every time I drive the car, as in Tokyo there are so many toll road exits and entrances so the toll road route is always faster, but you may only use 1/8 miles of toll road.
Interesting that you don't have the two options US cars have; Traffic based routing and Trip Planner.

Reactions: hiroshiy
+1 for this. Living in the Northeast/NY area, there are a ton of SCs that appear on the list within the radius of the SC I'm trying to find. Lots of unnecessary scrolling. There should be a better UI to select the desired SC. Maybe an interactive map by State.

Why not just use the interactive map already available? Toggle the charger display button and zoom out a little bit. You can tap on the supercharger in on and you can select it as a destination...

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'll give it a shot, it's just not intuitive to do it that way when you're selecting a Nav destination from "Places...Chargers".

Yes, ^^^^^ what he said.

How are we supposed to know this information, seriously? Is this something that is taught in school nowadays? Is it instinctive, and I don't have that DNA?

Sorry, but there is a seemingly endless amount of technological goodies and gadgets and gizmos that do not make it into the curriculum. And whenever I try to touch the map on the touchscreen it goes haywire on me, and I have no idea what happened. So, I just leave it alone. I can deal with my own stupidity. But if technology is all that it is supposed to be, then technology needs to step up its game, and not phone it in.

Interesting that you don't have the two options US cars have; Traffic based routing and Trip Planner.
In my case, I guess I always have traffic based routing on, because I have different routes time to time. In Japan we don't have Trip Planner because we have very little number of usable Superchargers ; we have three in Tokyo, one in the only SC, and four more in other places. No way we can use Superchargers to travel.

There is no way the current AP suite will do the tracking of cars behind and beside you with the current hardware.

That's not what I meant in the article.

Now going into the UI refresh, there will also be a small update to the Autopilot-generated interface on the dashboard (current dashboard pictured above – we couldn’t get pictures of the 8.0 update). The models of the vehicles around the Tesla will now be displayed not only from behind but in any angle they are moving, like perpendicular to the Tesla or turning around a corner.
I meant that you currently can only see the vehicles from behind on the dashboard - like the renderings only represents the rear of the vehicles, now you will also be able to see the side if they are traveling perpendicular to the Tesla or turning around a corner or something.

But yeah, you are right. It's still just for the vehicle in front of the Tesla.

Speaking for TesS...
The biggest feature that 8.x could offer me is a way to skin back to 6.x firmware. Without that, I'll try to keep the firmware on 6.x even when 8.x comes out.

Speaking for Mercury...
Some knobs to turn off the nannies and expand the fuse tolerances for track enthusiasts would be lovely.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Speaking for TesS...
The biggest feature that 8.x could offer me is a way to skin back to 6.x firmware. Without that, I'll try to keep the firmware on 6.x even when 8.x comes out.

Speaking for Mercury...
Some knobs to turn off the nannies and expand the fuse tolerances for track enthusiasts would be lovely.
You're still on 6.x?

Obviously stop signs, ramps and traffic lights are high on the list. But a note feature to report when something was incorrect or missing, like waze. For instance, someone stole the 65mph sign on this off highway, so autopilot limits speed to 40 when it's actually 65. And the graffiti covering signs.

On PCH going north in Huntington Beach, across from “dog beach” parking, before Seapoint Street is a 60 mph sign that had considerable vegetation obscuring the sign. I was amazed my 85 was able to see and record this speed limit accurately. About a month ago the vegetation was cut back. What’s interesting to me is that in another 100 yards is a 55 mph sign for trucks which does not register. For the missing/graffiti signs you mentioned maybe Tesla could use the autopilot improvement library it records, to identify these previous located signs. Or GPS. Problem, of course, is what if the missing sign is not an accident rather an actual change?

Google Maps