Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing 8.0 going to be delayed to tweak Autopilot now. Oh well.

The accident happened 2 months ago. I presume they've already had planned changes in response to it (e.g. note that the rumor specifically calls out the instrument panel being able to display perpendicular / oncoming cars, which implies the car might be doing a better job of recognizing them now)

The accident happened 2 months ago. I presume they've already had planned changes in response to it (e.g. note that the rumor specifically calls out the instrument panel being able to display perpendicular / oncoming cars, which implies the car might be doing a better job of recognizing them now)
If you are neither looking out the window, nor watching the instruments, that would not help in that case :( Hopefully the car will help

I hope I'm wrong but why wouldn't TMC hold off 8.0 until NHTSA investigation comes to some sort of conclusions. Personally I think the whole accident issue is mouse nuts (of course any fatality is a tragedy minus that) but TMC is at a inflection point in terms of how they manage a fleet of technological consequences. iPhones can mess up. Eh...privacy and stuff is the worst that can happen. But this is a new ballgame with technology being the primary driver (no pun intended) in terms of features and safety. So, I think they will be very cautious. My 2c.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciaopec
I hope I'm wrong but why wouldn't TMC hold off 8.0 until NHTSA investigation comes to some sort of conclusions. Personally I think the whole accident issue is mouse nuts (of course any fatality is a tragedy minus that) but TMC is at a inflection point in terms of how they manage a fleet of technological consequences. iPhones can mess up. Eh...privacy and stuff is the worst that can happen. But this is a new ballgame with technology being the primary driver (no pun intended) in terms of features and safety. So, I think they will be very cautious. My 2c.
Tesla has released many updates over the past couple of months since the accident occurred. I'm sure the tragedy had an effect, or at least caused a hiccup in what's going on as the teams and execs thought through the implications -- but none of us here will likely ever know if the accident did or did not cause a delay to 8.0. Let's remember, at least from what I've read, Tesla has not officially announced 8.0, what we do "know" comes from an unofficial press article which teased a bunch of fixes and improvements discussed in other threads here for months (or years), and leaves us with only broad speculative availability dates that any of us could have said -- i.e. it comes out tomorrow, next month, or next year. ;)

Since we haven't seen any major functionality changes for months, it makes sense the software developers have moved onto the next major release.

Still believe Tesla and their customers would benefit from having more beta testers participating - and having a "public" beta would likely be even better.

With better testing, hopefully obvious bugs - like the phantom USB auto-playing overnight - would be fixed, before software was officially released...

Tesla has released many updates over the past couple of months since the accident occurred. I'm sure the tragedy had an effect, or at least caused a hiccup in what's going on as the teams and execs thought through the implications -- but none of us here will likely ever know if the accident did or did not cause a delay to 8.0. Let's remember, at least from what I've read, Tesla has not officially announced 8.0, what we do "know" comes from an unofficial press article which teased a bunch of fixes and improvements discussed in other threads here for months (or years), and leaves us with only broad speculative availability dates that any of us could have said -- i.e. it comes out tomorrow, next month, or next year. ;)
True. The level of detail in that story was pretty detailed and held back just enough to make me think the info came from someone with inside knowledge like a beta tester.

Our S85 is two years old, so we do not have the latest and greatest. From our non-technological point-of-view:

We don't even know what voice commands are for, so meh. It is not intuitive for us to operate.

Supercharger stall availability option when dialing into a Supercharger from the navigation screen, or within a small radius when approaching would be nice.

Notifications for performing a reboot of the touchscreen when it blanks out. This situation occurs infrequently, yet we forget what to do and when to do it. A simple cautionary triangle on the dash could remind us to reboot the touchscreen by pressing the spinny wheels.

Routing options for driving with appropriate charging levels on the trip planner. Many people know alternate routes to get from point A to point B that are on the road less traveled, yet do not know how much charge they need. Have the system refrain from trying to re-route the driver back to the road that they do not want.

The number of Superchargers has grown since the initial listing format was added to the touchscreen. I think Tesla needs to revisit the sequencing of Superchargers for us to select. The logic seems to be that they are listed on the touchscreen by radial proximity to our current location. The radius is as the crow flies. Trying to find the next SC on our route sometimes involves scrolling on the touchscreen, accidentally pressing in the wrong place, getting the wrong spot, etc. etc. This is a mild annoyance for me, and extremely vexing for my wife. There has to be an easier way to identify the SC we want without searching so much.

And, while we are at it, any SC outage within a certain radius should be told to us on both our Tesla phone app and on the touchscreen immediately after it is known. The trip planning and routing must also be tweaked to advise us of this situation.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler