Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people are reporting getting 2.36.31 this morning (13 so far). I'd guess this might be the final 7.1 release before 8.0 and they want to get everyone up to at least that version for hold-outs who won't install 8.x.

I did as well, and I do wonder if it wasn't necessary to go to 8.0

I'm saying that because I know there are times with firmware that you have to go to a specific version in order to get an update to the updater to go to the next rev above it. I'm not sure if it's applicable to how Tesla does the updates though.

If a person has to adjust their seat or steering wheel to a less comfortable or even unsafe position to see the display there's something wrong with the IC not the driver. Just sayin'
One option is to buy an aftermarket HUD for ANY car for which this is a problem. It seems expensive, but after a few speeding tickets and insurance rates are factored in, it's actually a profitable expenditure. It sidesteps many UI issues, although you will have to learn how to set the cruise control accurately without getting distracted.

Speaking of which, I hate those damned cruise control stalks that every single car in the world has now, including Tesla. The only cruise control stalk I've liked in my life is the old-style Mercedes stalk with a single bar that you just move up, down, back or forward. No on or off, no button, no words, no text, nothing to read, no chasing the wheel and getting in a crash because you're looking at your little tiny baby fingered buttons. Just a bar that you don't even look at while driving down the road. Totally by feel. No "off" state to contend with at all. Just up, down, resume, and cancel. That's it! No on or off! No buttons! No text!

Speaking of which, I hate those damned cruise control stalks that every single car in the world has now, including Tesla. The only cruise control stalk I've liked in my life is the old-style Mercedes stalk with a single bar that you just move up, down, back or forward. No on or off, no button, no words, no text, nothing to read, no chasing the wheel and getting in a crash because you're looking at your little tiny baby fingered buttons. Just a bar that you don't even look at while driving down the road. Totally by feel. No "off" state to contend with at all. Just up, down, resume, and cancel. That's it! No on or off! No buttons! No text!

I'm confused. You just described the cruise control stalk that's in my March 2015 S85D. Up, down, back, forward. No tiny baby fingered buttons.

Reactions: jgs and aesculus
From his website:

NEW! Add a Tesla API Token to your account -- Once linked, EV-FW.com can automatically detect firmware updates on your car.

More secure way to get a token without using a 3rd party website for Linux folks:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

USERNAME="[email protected]"
PASSWORD="myteslapassword"

curl -s --include --data "grant_type=password&client_id=e4a9949fcfa04068f59abb5a658f2bac0a3428e4652315490b659d5ab3f35a9e&client_secret=c75f14bbadc8bee3a7594412c31416f8300256d7668ea7e6e7f06727bfb9d220&email=$USERNAME&password=$PASSWORD" --request POST 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token' | grep -Po '"access_token":.*?[^\\]",' | cut -d\" -f4

More secure way to get a token without using a 3rd party website for Linux folks:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

curl -s --include --data "grant_type=password&client_id=e4a9949fcfa04068f59abb5a658f2bac0a3428e4652315490b659d5ab3f35a9e&client_secret=c75f14bbadc8bee3a7594412c31416f8300256d7668ea7e6e7f06727bfb9d220&email=$USERNAME&password=$PASSWORD" --request POST 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token' | grep -Po '"access_token":.*?[^\\]",' | cut -d\" -f4
Thanks. In Mac:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

curl -s --include --data "grant_type=password&client_id=e4a9949fcfa04068f59abb5a658f2bac0a3428e4652315490b659d5ab3f35a9e&client_secret=c75f14bbadc8bee3a7594412c31416f8300256d7668ea7e6e7f06727bfb9d220&email=$USERNAME&password=$PASSWORD" --request POST 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token' |
egrep '"access_token":"[0-9a-f][0-9a-f]*",'|
sed -e 's%.*"access_token":"\([0-9a-f][0-9a-f]*\)".*%\1%'
I don't know perl, so that regexp doesn't make sense to me with the -P option (Mac doesn't have that). Before my sed, I get this:

{"access_token":"0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef","token_type":"bearer","expires_in":7776000,"created_at":1474230144}

After my sed, I just get the 64 nibble hex. I can't test it in ev-fw.com since I don't have any API-on cars in my account yet, but after I properly encoded my Tesla password (I need to find an encoder cmd to generalize that shell script for a wider array of password types), at least I can go grab a token for myself. This was helpful, wk057.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone
All they had to do in order to deal with Bert's and my visibility issues that came up in 7.0 (the stupid toy car, worthless centered odometer, invisible mile markers with sunglasses on, blocked high beam indicator, etc), was to give us a "Coke Classic" solution, and let us opt to use the better 6.2 screen by toggling in settings. Volvo actually allows you to toggle three display choices in their cars -- I am only asking for two.
But tesla simply does not respect us -- there is no explanation for these and other ignored requests for basic, mid-oughts level functionalities (NAV, media player,etc).

Thanks. In Mac:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

curl -s --include --data "grant_type=password&client_id=e4a9949fcfa04068f59abb5a658f2bac0a3428e4652315490b659d5ab3f35a9e&client_secret=c75f14bbadc8bee3a7594412c31416f8300256d7668ea7e6e7f06727bfb9d220&email=$USERNAME&password=$PASSWORD" --request POST 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token' |
egrep '"access_token":"[0-9a-f][0-9a-f]*",'|
sed -e 's%.*"access_token":"\([0-9a-f][0-9a-f]*\)".*%\1%'
I don't know perl, so that regexp doesn't make sense to me with the -P option (Mac doesn't have that). Before my sed, I get this:

{"access_token":"0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef","token_type":"bearer","expires_in":7776000,"created_at":1474230144}

After my sed, I just get the 64 nibble hex. I can't test it in ev-fw.com since I don't have any API-on cars in my account yet, but after I properly encoded my Tesla password (I need to find an encoder cmd to generalize that shell script for a wider array of password types), at least I can go grab a token for myself. This was helpful, wk057.

Thanks @wk057 and @Ulmo! I'm going to nitpick on a few things (with constructive intent):

1. In general, unless you're specifically using bash functionality, the shebang in the first line should probably be /bin/sh for maximum portability. FreeBSD for example has bash as an option, and it installs to /usr/local/bin/bash. But every *nix system is supposed to have /bin/sh mean something.

2. Use "example.com", "example.net", or "example.org" for sample domain names (RFC 2606).

3. "grep -P" is experimental on the Linux system I'm looking at. @Ulmo's version is a little bit more portable and appears to work correctly on FreeBSD (10.3), after s/bash/sh/.

Thanks again!

Bruce.

Thanks @wk057 and @Ulmo! I'm going to nitpick on a few things (with constructive intent):

1. In general, unless you're specifically using bash functionality, the shebang in the first line should probably be /bin/sh for maximum portability. FreeBSD for example has bash as an option, and it installs to /usr/local/bin/bash. But every *nix system is supposed to have /bin/sh mean something.

2. Use "example.com", "example.net", or "example.org" for sample domain names (RFC 2606).

3. "grep -P" is experimental on the Linux system I'm looking at. @Ulmo's version is a little bit more portable and appears to work correctly on FreeBSD (10.3), after s/bash/sh/.

Thanks again!

Bruce.
I just realized I have a linux system in the cloud. Heck, a few ... I'll go try it there. :p old age has its drawbacks :(
Test 1: wk057's version on Linux gives the same output I got under my version. So my lack of understanding Perl did not hurt. (I learned sed before Perl was written, & never had the purpose to learn Perl.)
Test 2: My version also works under Linux & Mac, also after fixing /bin/bash -> /bin/sh as suggested.
I failed to finish encoding USERNAME and PASSWORD, and because of that, URL special characters in those fields give errors. Someone with a library for that could fix that.

Last edited:
Just as I feared 8.0 is going to be a major disappointment for most. This is a reskinning at best. So much for the promised UI upgrades from Elon. First it was 7.0 and then 7.1. Now 8.0. Sigh. I love this car but Tesla is making my eyes start to wander. When cars at half the price have better infotainment you think Tesla would step up.
"Major disappointment for most" seems hyperbolic, no?

Speaking of "most" and the masses, "someone" here on TMC once said:
I think what people are missing here is that the new UI is much more amenable to the mass public and would likely get more people to buy the car. When you first drive the tesla, the speedometer with everything it has going on is very intimidating. Most early adopters are techies and understand whats going on but the majority of people would have no clue nor would they want to. Its the same as apple having a simple UI which drives adoption with older people. How many 70 yr olds do you see with android phones? Almost zero. I agree they want to have a mode for people who want the info, but this move is about getting more average people to buy the car than techies. All people would really want to know is when do I need to recharge.

So I think the argument is that "most" people are going to be perfectly fine with it, if not happy. I'll definitely agree that a minority will be disappointed, but "most people" seems like an exaggeration.

"Major disappointment for most" seems hyperbolic, no?

Speaking of "most" and the masses, "someone" here on TMC once said:

So I think the argument is that "most" people are going to be perfectly fine with it, if not happy. I'll definitely agree that a minority will be disappointed, but "most people" seems like an exaggeration.

no i think people want and demand better phone integration and infotainment systems in their cars today. you are talking about autopilot interface. i rarely use autopilot and i bet the majority of owners don't use it either. of course people on this forum do but this is just a small percentage of tesla owners here.

Reactions: brooklynrab
no i think people want and demand better phone integration and infotainment systems in their cars today. you are talking about autopilot interface. i rarely use autopilot and i bet the majority of owners don't use it either. of course people on this forum do but this is just a small percentage of tesla owners here.

Well if you're gonna go down that road, most owners don't read the forums or Elon's twitter, so they don't know an update is coming. Hard to be disappointed in an update that you didn't know was coming, because you have no expectations to be fulfilled.