Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we can't avoid the whole very subjective "I hate it" or "I love it" debate over the UI that is sure to happen again as it did repetitively for so long last time. :(

...but I must say, assuming Electrek's IC display image is what we're going to receive, I'm hugely disappointed that Elon/Tesla once again prioritized the Toy Car AP Display remaining in it's present location, vs moving the MORE IMPORTANT speed, TACC, AP On/Off, and key idiot lights beneath it -- so 100% of drivers could better see those critical safety and usability items on the IC display. Some of us have discussed this concern/suggestion in more detail elsewhere.

I see this as another example supporting my belief that Tesla does not consider it's whole present+future driver population as well as it should, in part perhaps because Elon does not care about real usability things effecting perhaps a smaller population unless pressed by the NHTSA or via negative press. His priority is AP front-and-center over most everything else, and continued low-and-center placement of the toy car display demonstrates it. (Yes, I did send a specific email suggestion on this subject to Tesla last Fall, and I'm 5'-11" and not alone in this concern from other comments on this forum.) It appears continued sore shoulders are in store for me when driving my MS on road trips, as I sit with the steering wheel too high, seat too low and further back than any other vehicle I've owned -- just so I can see how fast I'm driving and the TACC/AP indicators. As much as I'm OK being somewhat of a guinea pig with most changes Tesla provides, I still cherish my first 2-weeks of pre-AP ownership with 6.2, just because my physical MS driving experience was so much more enjoyable.
Right, they are not listening or taking action on user feedback. New potential customers taking a test drive will likely be more impressed with a cool looking video game car than a functional display and useful Navigation system. Both of these things along with Media Player were mentioned by a high percentage of users when Elon requested feedback in his "What would you like to see in 7.1" tweet last year. It's not like those things are hard to do either.

Reactions: davidc18 and yak-55
So if I select to turn off the main Odo in the IC, does it put battery SOC in its place (like it used to be)?

Battery SOC stays there I think. I got the improvement to regen message, but didn't really notice it. It's slight. At least this time there won't be people complaining they reduced regen! =)

I think Hank may have been asking what happens in Classic cars if you turn that off. We currently get to stare at our odometer 24/7 when the car is on. I am also hoping I can finally read the numbers around my speed tape!
BJpZhJV.jpg

Last edited:
Ummm, you are holding out on any high expectations for the forthcoming I presume?

Correct. I have a classic and after the 6.2 -> 7.0 downgrade (except for Auto-Homelink), I am keeping my expectations low. However, the leaks do look promising and in all likelihood, even if some ergonomics/usability items are not fixed with the 8.0 "upgrade", it probably won't be viewed (by me) as a downgrade compared to what I have. The real test will be comparing 8.0 to 6.2, not 7.x.

I know we can't avoid the whole very subjective "I hate it" or "I love it" debate over the UI that is sure to happen again as it did repetitively for so long last time. :(

...but I must say, assuming Electrek's IC display image is what we're going to receive, I'm hugely disappointed that Elon/Tesla once again prioritized the Toy Car AP Display remaining in it's present location, vs moving the MORE IMPORTANT speed, TACC, AP On/Off, and key idiot lights beneath it -- so 100% of drivers could better see those critical safety and usability items on the IC display. Some of us have discussed this concern/suggestion in more detail elsewhere.

I see this as another example supporting my belief that Tesla does not consider it's whole present+future driver population as well as it should, in part perhaps because Elon does not care about real usability things effecting a smaller population unless pressed by the NHTSA or via negative press. His priority is AP front-and-center over most everything else, and continued low-and-center placement of the toy car display demonstrates it. (Yes, I did send a specific email suggestion on this subject to Tesla last Fall, and I'm 5'-11" and not alone in this concern from other comments on this forum.) It appears continued sore shoulders are in store for me when driving my MS on road trips, as I sit with the steering wheel too high, seat too low and further back than any other vehicle I've owned -- just so I can see how fast I'm driving and the TACC/AP indicators. As much as I'm OK being somewhat of a guinea pig with most changes Tesla provides, I still cherish my first 2-weeks of pre-AP ownership with 6.2, just because my physical MS driving experience was so much more enjoyable.
Perhaps your seat and steering need adjustment. I'm 6'1 and have no problem seeing the top icons. No UI can please everyone, but everyone needs how to make it work for them... Safely

Perhaps your seat and steering need adjustment. I'm 6'1 and have no problem seeing the top icons. No UI can please everyone, but everyone needs how to make it work for them... Safely
If a person has to adjust their seat or steering wheel to a less comfortable or even unsafe position to see the display there's something wrong with the IC not the driver. Just sayin'

Thx. Seat and steering wheel position have been tried in numerous positions. It's now down as low as it goes, seat back tilted back, and seat bottom moved back further than my previous Lexus and MBZ. I purchased my MS on 10/5/2015 with AP, but only 6.2 was installed, and I had my seat/steering wheel positions rapidly figured-out by the time I got home. It was great. On 10/15, 7.0 was delivered with the new IC UI and that's when my seat adjustment challenge started because key info was hidden by the wheel.

It's gonna sound like a side show, but since I am describing myself, hopefully no offense is taken by someone. I believe the physical issue is that some people's torso like mine (and my dad, and his), is just a little bit longer that the average, so regardless of overall height, it places ones eyes just a little higher than others causing the top part of the IC to be hidden by the wheel. Combine that with if one's arm length are average or not, can make shoulders tight on longer drives depending upon one's priorities of comfort or IC visibility. Every vehicle I've owned has had some visibility issues with the very top of the display being hidden by the steering wheel when my seat/steering wheel was most comfortable, but with a mechanical speedo, even if the digits were cut off from view at the top of the dial, you could tell how fast you were going because of the long indicator hand pointing to it.

6.2 had the speed digits in almost dead center of the IC where any driver could see it. My simple solution remains that the most important information on the MS/MX IC needs to be lowest and towards the center so all drivers can always see what's being displayed (that's why I suspect Tesla presents pop-ups there.) IMHO, while it's cool seeing the distant part of the toy car display in 7.0/7.1/8.0, it just isn't as important for safe and easy driving as speed digits, TACC/AP indicators, and key idiot lights. Just flipping those things now at the top of the IC to the bottom, with the same toy car display above it, solves the situation for everyone via a relatively easy graphical fix. It's not a big deal for many drivers perhaps, so I get why some "dislike" my concern, but it is a challenge that takes away from enjoyment of my best toy, and it was done to me after I took delivery because of Tesla's graphical choices. Simple ergonomic changes like this take nothing away from anyone, yet become a refinement which opens Tesla up for even more satisfied owners.

It's now down as low as it goes, seat back tilted back, and seat bottom moved back further than my previous Lexus and MBZ.

I agree with Bert. In my personal case, whenever I drive my mother's Lexus, I'm annoyed because the steering wheel only extends so far that my arms are almost fully extended and it makes my arms and shoulders sore on extended drives. Thankfully, my Tesla does better on this note.

IMHO, while it's cool seeing the distant part of the toy car display in 7.0/7.1/8.0, it just isn't as important for safe and easy driving as speed digits, TACC/AP indicators, and key idiot lights.

I'm 6'0" and I have the top edges of my instrument cluster blocked off, such that I cannot see the headlight, high beam, and fog light idiot lights. While I personally can see my speed readout, I can totally envision others that cannot. It is sad that Tesla made the hardware have a more limited adjustment range to not cover all but the most outliers. For instance, while the seat distance and steering wheel extension are better than some other makes, the fixed seat belt height is troublesome for people like my 5'6" mother. But with that hardware decision, Tesla in 7.x decided to further compound the problem via software for those who don't meet Tesla's model "ideal proportions". Which is interesting because isn't Elon's brother Kimbal above average in height?

Simple ergonomic changes like this take nothing away from anyone, yet become a refinement which opens Tesla up for even more satisfied owners.

Which is sad in all manufacturers. Most people I have heard complain about ergonomics would have their complaints relieved by 1-2" differences in some adjustment here or there. Such low hanging fruit!

Reactions: BertL
That revised media interface looks like a hot mess. Does anyone at Tesla actually have experience with UI design?

I totally agree. I really like the favorites being accessible without going to a sub menu, but the media player layout is absolutely appalling.

It really looks like what we call "programmer art" where a programmer hooks up functionallity, but it looks intentially unpollished. The UI artist then makes it look aesthetically pleasing and user friendly.

I would not even keep an intern UI artist if they presented something like the new media center as a finished level product.

A lot of people are reporting getting 2.36.31 this morning (13 so far). I'd guess this might be the final 7.1 release before 8.0 and they want to get everyone up to at least that version for hold-outs who won't install 8.x.
I checked your FW tracker website hoping it would automatically detect my updated firmware this morning and it didn't so I manually added it back in. I used the same token as Teslafi.com.

I believe the physical issue is that some people's torso like mine (and my dad, and his), is just a little bit longer that the average, so regardless of overall height, it places ones eyes just a little higher than others causing the top part of the IC to be hidden by the wheel. Combine that with if one's arm length are average or not, can make shoulders tight on longer drives depending upon one's priorities of comfort or IC visibility. Every vehicle I've owned has had some visibility issues with the very top of the display being hidden by the steering wheel when my seat/steering wheel was most comfortable, but with a mechanical speedo, even if the digits were cut off from view at the top of the dial, you could tell how fast you were going because of the long indicator hand pointing to it.
Like you, I have an exceptionally long trunk. I have the same speed reading problem here in my Mercedes E500 as you in Tesla. I'm assuming all cars are horrible in this way, including Tesla. It's a sunken expectation, and I'm OK with that.

There are so many fantastic opportunities to make an awesome UI in Tesla that I plainly see have not been done, that I will NOT be looking at that car as any sort of panacea of UI enjoyment.

Lately, the best UI experiences I've had are in Mercedes E & S class, 2016 Cadillac Escalade, and 2017 Ford Explorer. I'm finding the 2016 Lincoln MKX UI to be quirky and dangerous, so I have to pull over for it quite often, like I did in my AUX-cord UI experience in the Mercedes. When I test-drove a Tesla, I used the pull over and park method of UI interaction, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18