Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it useful to keep in mind that he is simultaneously running two ground-breaking high technology companies that are disrupting huge established industries in unprecedented ways that many experts thought impossible.
He should spend more time actually executing in those two companies, and less time talking about how he's going to execute at some point in the future if all goes well because he really hopes that it will go well and you're really going to like it if it does goes well because he's really impressed with what it will be like if it does go well he just can't tell you anything more about it right now.

I thought people who follow Elon would be aware by now that he doesn't always make his own deadlines.
Maybe he doesn't always, but this time he did. He could have said nothing and surprised everyone when the post was ready in a few days. Instead he sent out a teaser for an early announcement about a feature that will be officially announced later.

I'm a big fan of Elon, Tesla, and Space X, but there's no denying that looks bad. If you can't meet a self-imposed deadline on a simple thing, can you meet it on more complex things? Unfortunately, I think most of us agree that, No, they can't meet them on more complex things either. They've been doing OK despite that, but eventually it's going to be a problem. I just hope Model 3 isn't late. There's a lot riding on that.

i'm 'new' to Tesla ecosystem, also Elon-Ecosystem, but i think that he has a problem with time measurement, or may be, with words related to time, today, tomorrow, next year, soon..i'm reading the biography and seams that all his life is the same problem, in his mind solve the problem that he can't solve in "real life".

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
image.png
Just out;

i'm 'new' to Tesla ecosystem, also Elon-Ecosystem, but i think that he has a problem with time measurement, or may be, with words related to time, today, tomorrow, next year, soon..i'm reading the biography and seams that all his life is the same problem, in his mind solve the problem that he can't solve in "real life".
It's a bug in the alien simulation : his simulation does not operate exactly on the same space-time continuum as ours. :rolleyes:

i think that he has a problem with time measurement
That's it! You've discovered the problem! Those watching a Steve Jobs presentation were referred to as having been within his "reality distortion field". In Elon's case, it's a time distortion field! He's operating in four dimensions and rest of us poor slobs are living in just three dimensions. He freely moves about in time while we're stuck in the present! ;)

I'm a big fan of Elon, Tesla, and Space X, but there's no denying that looks bad. If you can't meet a self-imposed deadline on a simple thing, can you meet it on more complex things? Unfortunately, I think most of us agree that, No, they can't meet them on more complex things either. They've been doing OK despite that...
Yes, I suppose SpaceX and Tesla have been doing "OK": new companies started from scratch by a guy with zero experience in those industries and zero experience even running a manufacturing company, and in just over a decade both companies have disrupted and revolutionized automobiles and rockets.

They are doing "OK", that's for sure. And by the way, cars and rockets are "complex things".

The back pedaling on 8.0 has begun before it's even released. Now Elon's telling us we should be looking ahead to 8.1. They're obviously pulling features to get 8.0 out this year and support the next stock offering.

"Major improvements to Autopilot coming with V8.0 and 8.1 software (std OTA update) primarily through advanced processing of radar signals."

It's kinda funny that the s/w industry finally got off the "next release" merry-go-round by switching to subscriptions, and now a car company has decided to adopt their discarded business model.

The back pedaling on 8.0 has begun before it's even released. Now Elon's telling us we should be looking ahead to 8.1. They're obviously pulling features to get 8.0 out this year and support the next stock offering.

"Major improvements to Autopilot coming with V8.0 and 8.1 software (std OTA update) primarily through advanced processing of radar signals."

It's kinda funny that the s/w industry finally got off the "next release" merry-go-round by switching to subscriptions, and now a car company has decided to adopt their discarded business model.

And you don't think that subscriptions to car software updates are coming? They're coming.... All of the automakers are looking at this and seeing another stream of recurring revenue - which will be sorely needed once they switch to EV power trains which will require fewer spare parts.

Yeah, I picked up on the 8.0/8.1 statement as something to set lower expectations too. Probably because that's exactly what happened last year with his 7.0/7.1 tweets where he promised all of these UI fixes in 7.1 that never materialized. I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

And you don't think that subscriptions to car software updates are coming? They're coming.... All of the automakers are looking at this and seeing another stream of recurring revenue - which will be sorely needed once they switch to EV power trains which will require fewer spare parts.
As a consumer, I love that Tesla does not make money off service. But as an x-exec that created and ran big hw/sw/service businesses for years, I have always thought having service as a non-profit center would become a longer-term problem for Tesla, putting 100% of their financial dependence and focus on pumping out only new vehicles off the line. To that degree, I agree that Tesla like other EV mfgrs will one day have to seek some sort of post-sales revenue streams to shore up their financials.

As importantly though, my experience says if a mfgr has an underlying financial incentive because of annuity services, it causes even more focus to be maintained on customers after the product is sold to retain and grow the post-sales part of the business. If you do the job right, it improves customer sat and brand loyalty, causing the happy owner to purchase your product again, especially as competitive alternatives creep into the marketplace -- i.e. an appropriately priced, packaged and delivered post-sales annuity service can be a win for both the mfgr and owner. As a consumer and owner of my MS, I don't have personal objections towards something like a subscription, IF I know that is the business model I'm getting into ahead of time, AND the business I sign up for meets (or better yet, exceeds) commitments including the value proposition to me, quality and delivery (including timeliness). All of this are some of the very subjective and ancillary reasons I purchased both an 8-yr ESA and pre-paid service -- to hopefully help hedge my bets that Tesla would still care just a little more about me post sale (and post warranty expiration.) We'll see how that goes. ;)

BTW, the door is already there for Tesla to create a subscription for the earliest MS owners TODAY. If one reads terms closely, Tesla does not commit to free lifetime on-board cellular connectivity. I questioned two different Tesla employees about this before ordering last Fall, and was told something to the effect "OTA updates and use of on-board internet is free during warranty, but after 4 years, Tesla may charge for ongoing full-time connectivity." Since I was familiar with that sort of model from Lexus, MBZ and BMW I had owned, I asked what it would cost and if any terms were available I could read in advance. Since no MS had yet hit the 4-year mark, their response was "I'm sure Tesla will make an option available when the time comes". Lots of things could or may not happen -- it's all supposition on our part. IMHO, if Tesla were not collecting as much info as they are having full-time connectivity today (and even more so in AP vehicles) and probably finding high value in it, Tesla could easily have started charging the earliest owners already. Again IMHO, as the fleet expands especially after some time has passed with successful M3 delivery, the need for even more vehicles providing data will eventually become not as statistically relevant, opening the door wider for Tesla to use onboard Internet connectivity (and perhaps non-safety related post-warranty OTA updates) as a source of ongoing revenue or at least cost recovery by creating a subscription and/or bundling with other service annuities like prepaid service plans. ;) IMHO it's just a matter of time.

Tesla could easily have started charging the earliest owners already.
They could, if they hadn't already promised the free service. Towards the end of 2013, they announced it would be free for four years starting Jan 1, 2014 or the date of delivery, whichever is later. So we can expect some sort of announcement towards the end of next year.

My assumption has always been that they will maintain the connection for the sake of the app (and their own data collection efforts) but the Google Map tiles, internet radio, and web browser would all cease to function without a subscription of some kind.

You make a good point that Autopilot may be dependent on it as well, but I can't see them disabling that since it's a paid option.