Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no evidence I am aware of to support that view that any Tesla will be manufactured with the AP 1.0 hardware AND the three forward facing cameras installed.

There is reason to believe that AP 2.0 will have the three forward cameras and multiple radar units (not just the current single forward facing radar).

What makes you so sure it's going to have multiple radar units?

Tesla Autopilot 2.0: retrofit to next gen sensors likely to be available for some owners

That means the wiring to upgrade the front camera to the tri-cameras is in there now. Of course that doesn't mean that they'll release a version with just more cameras.

When it comes down it we don't know what the next generation of AP hardware will consist of. It might consist of just the extra forward cameras (if it comes soon) or it might consist of the cameras plus radar units if it comes 6-12 months down the road.

My bet is on incremental upgrades where the camera upgrade will happen first. Of course my hope is that there is no incremental upgrade and they just go to AP 2.0 like you think they will. That way they get rid of the piss poor side monitoring that the car currently has.

This article doesn't really indicate how the release of the new hardware will happen.

Tesla Autopilot 2.0: next gen Autopilot powered by more radar, new triple camera, some equipment already in production

Last edited:

Tesla Autopilot 2.0: retrofit to next gen sensors likely to be available for some owners

When it comes down it we don't know what the next generation of AP hardware will consist of. It might consist of just the extra forward cameras (if it comes soon) or it might consist of the cameras plus radar units if it comes 6-12 months down the road.

I personally consider the camera only upgrade to be only worth of a .5

Agreed.

I personally consider the camera only upgrade to be only worth of a .5

When folks originally started talking about AP2, they were usually talking about it in the context of level 4 autonomy. That's why I and a bunch of other folks have been using AP1.5 to describe a change from the current hardware to improve the capabilities that doesn't have the potential to reach Level 4.

It's not yet clear whether we need a distinction between the S and X hardware, which are not identical (X camera is on a coax cable to a module behind the glove box, possibly some other things.)

I love how there is this completely unofficial, forum-only versioning nomenclature. 1.5, 2.0.. what does it matter? And is it worth arguing about?

What else is there to do? Are we supposed to get a life or something like that??

I suggested the nomenclature because I saw people getting confused as to exactly what the upgrade was. Where some people seemed to think it was camera only, and others who thought it was the full AP 2.0 one.

I'm just trying to add clarity to our speculation. We do make an art out of it.

Can always go back to trolling Model 3 waiters.

Trolling was so much more fun before Trump.

Trump took out all the fun out of it because you know you'll never measure up.

To make this relevant to the topic I speculate that version 8.0 will have an anti trump mode. Where it will filter out anything about trump before it reaches your ears. Kinda like biodefense mode, but for sound. It could possible slip till 8.2, and it might require the NVidia TK1 infotainment upgrade.

I love how there is this completely unofficial, forum-only versioning nomenclature. 1.5, 2.0.. what does it matter? And is it worth arguing about?
It certainly doesn't matter to most of us who already own our cars, but it matters a lot to someone considering dropping $100,000 to buy a new Tesla.

Personally, I view the discussion as "dueling speculation" and the inevitable result of a CEO unconstrained by a PR staff.

Model S P100D with every option except the dual chargers and rear-facing seats. I ordered it on Aug 23, and was notified that tentative delivery would be "late Sep/early Oct."
You could sell this one after taking delivery, not sure of the loss on that one though.. Alternatively take it on a lease.. this is all assuming $2,500 is a significant amount for you. Having ordered a P100D I don't think that's the case for you.

Can we go back to talking about 8.0 please
But very little is known about V8.0 beyond the few tidbits claimed by the now 2 month old Electrek article at Exclusive on Tesla 8.0 update: new Autopilot features, biggest UI refresh since launch and much more

The article is likely based on a Tesla beta tester violating their NDA and communicating with Electrek directly or through a third party. The information in that article has not been released by Tesla.

The article claims that 8.0 will enable AP to take a freeway/highway exit by activating the turn signal, changes to the way surrounding cars are shown in the drivers display, music interface changes, voice command interface changes, and perhaps the biggest change effecting all Teslas, map and navigation improvements.

The article coyly states "We will not get into all the new features and changes – leaving some surprises for when the update is pushed to the fleet".

Can we go back to talking about 8.0 please, the title of this thread? Please take the debates about AP 1.0 vs 1.5 vs 2.0 to another thread. Thank you.

I'm anxiously awaiting Elon's Blog post because it will reveal whether the radar software can be enhanced to detect stopped cars as suggested.

It will reveal whether the only thing that I really find valuable in 8.0 is possible with the existing AP 1.0 hardware or if it won't require 1.5 or 2.0.

Edit - I completely changed this post so any likes was probably from the original version. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DÆrik
You know, it's really odd to do a press release on Sunday -- and on the anniversary of 9/11, no less. The logical inference is that it was necessary to announce on Sunday for some reason, and the most obvious reason is that they want to announce the feature before it ships, and Monday would be too late.

Conclusion: AP 2.0 hardware starts shipping on Monday.

• Informative
Reactions: Panu and MartinW
You know, it's really odd to do a press release on Sunday -- and on the anniversary of 9/11, no less. The logical inference is that it was necessary to announce on Sunday for some reason, and the most obvious reason is that they want to announce the feature before it ships, and Monday would be too late.

Conclusion: AP 2.0 hardware starts shipping on Monday.

Fact that this announcement includes a press Q&A and the limited time lease offer ending on 9/12. Your statement is truly justified. The dragon mishap just delayed it and exposed the real deadline.

However I wonder what would have happened if it was announced after 9/12, why announce before this date? it's okay to have the new hardware ship out and then talk about it.