Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In part 7 of Electrek's transcript of the press call Elon answers the following:

Jordan Golson -The Verge
And then one last question: How long as this sort of radar primary thing has been in development? Is that something you have been doing in the past couple months since the fatal accident or is this been the primary thing all along?
Elon Musk – Tesla CEO
It’s something that I wanted to do for a while. Probably since late last year, but I was always told that it wasn’t possible, you can’t do it, it’s not gonna work, nobody else has made it work, software is too hard, sensor is not good enough, but I really pushed hard on questioning all those assumptions last 3 or 4 months. Like there got to be a way to make this work and now we believe that there is.

In other words, they rearchitected the core of AP during the last 3 to 4 months! To do this they must have dropped everything else that wasn't already completed, pushing it off to 8.1.

The AP guys and the UI guys would have be completely different teams. I just can't see a lot of overlap in the skill sets between the two.

Got the same e-mail notification. But if you check ev-fw.com they have 102.38.13 and 103.5.4 listed. Neither one of those listed appears to be installed recently.

Ev-fw.com is mostly self-reported... Teslafi.com is entirely automatic and would pick up firmware updates quicker. But I doubt that any beta tester would be connected to Teslafi.com. The firmware builds in the 100.x.y levels tend to be test/beta releases except in a few isolated cases.

Reactions: Cyclone
Ev-fw.com is mostly self-reported... Teslafi.com is entirely automatic and would pick up firmware updates quicker. But I doubt that any beta tester would be connected to Teslafi.com. The firmware builds in the 100.x.y levels tend to be test/beta releases except in a few isolated cases.
I always thought that Teslafi pulled that information directly from your website. Who knows maybe somehow the person inadvertently received the firmware.

I've basically given up on Tesla and Elon ever making any positive changes to infotainment. It's a shame, too, that a Silicon Valley company steeped in software engineering cannot put together a decent navigation and media interface for its cars.

HEADS-UP TESLA - IT'S BEEN ALMOST FOUR YEARS!!!

Tesla's almost single-minded focus on Autopilot, and at the expense of other software systems, should bother everyone.

The AP guys and the UI guys would have be completely different teams. I just can't see a lot of overlap in the skill sets between the two.
Yes, exactly. The point isn't 100% shy of the mark since the coders aren't the only step in the chain – their management only has a limited amount of attention to spend, I suppose, and more concretely merge and other source tree management issues get more difficult as the number of teams committing increases (though one would hope things are structured so there are exactly zero conflicts between Infotainment and core AP algorithms), not to mention the complexity of testing it post-integration goes up. Still, the idea they would have to stop all other development in order to get the new AP out the door just doesn't hold water.
Tesla's almost single-minded focus on Autopilot, and at the expense of other software systems, should bother everyone.
OK, I'm bothered, just not enough to spend much of my time posting about it.

Reactions: davidc18
I always thought that Teslafi pulled that information directly from your website. Who knows maybe somehow the person inadvertently received the firmware.

Nope! Teslafi.com (which is awesome, BTW) uses the Tesla API to poll the car data. EV-FW can do this now also, if you have access to an API token, you can add the token and EV-FW will check once an hour for firmware updates and update itself automatically and send you a PM on the forum when it happens (although you likely already know that)... but it's semi-automatic since you need to add a token for it to work. Otherwise it's self-reported.

Yes, exactly. The point isn't 100% shy of the mark since the coders aren't the only step in the chain – their management only has a limited amount of attention to spend, I suppose, and more concretely merge and other source tree management issues get more difficult as the number of teams committing increases (though one would hope things are structured so there are exactly zero conflicts between Infotainment and core AP algorithms), not to mention the complexity of testing it post-integration goes up. Still, the idea they would have to stop all other development in order to get the new AP out the door just doesn't hold water.

OK, I'm bothered, just not enough to spend much of my time posting about it.
From an IT and organizational perspective I think are giving them more credit that is deserved but we shall see what 8.0 brings.

I've basically given up on Tesla and Elon ever making any positive changes to infotainment. It's a shame, too, that a Silicon Valley company steeped in software engineering cannot put together a decent navigation and media interface for its cars.

HEADS-UP TESLA - IT'S BEEN ALMOST FOUR YEARS!!!

I couldn't agree more. In this day and age integration with a smart phone is in the most basic cars. Time for tesla to show something here. Elon talked about mirroring. What ever you are going to do I hope something or a start is in 8.0. Elon promised huge UI improvements in 7.1 but that never happened either. Release LATE dot OH