Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as roads changing and new signs showing up, false braking alerts / collision alarms are still subject to the user's approval. There is a lot of reference to "ramp rates", which implies the braking action won't be all in. You may sense your car slowing down with full regen if you are truly the first unlucky soul to encounter a brand new sign that appeared overnight, in which case you can hit the gas and override it, and now the whole fleet learns that this obstacle is a false alarm because you did not collide with it.

Did you just introduce the concept of "emergency acceleration"?

Yeah, I think you are right. This is likely how it will happen....but the ramp-rate will be interesting. Very excited.

Tomas, you act as if this is an "either/or proposition". If the wording of my statement was unclear, let me be clear -- it has been well documented in these forums by a number of us that there are a number of fixes and "simple" modifications that tesla has virtually ignored/refused with regard to imperfect and incomplete software that would not have resulted in the abandonment of the big projects, or even cost them much in resources (as confirmed vociferously on this forum by people with more technical knowledge than me). What has been missing is management skill and desire. 7.0 and 7.1 for example, reflected amateur QC and UI, UX. Just scan the forum.
This reminds me of the Fortune 5 company I worked at for 30+ years.

They had a priority list of IT activities. There were items that needed to be done but were always being postponed because they were falling below the cutoff line.

I had recently retired and convinced my former organization to bring me back and work those below the line items. I wasn't distracted by the high priority items and gradually worked a lot of those below the line issues.

IMHO, this has really just been a poor management decision not devoting resources to work these more mundane issues.

This reminds me of the Fortune 5 company I worked at for 30+ years.

They had a priority list of IT activities. There were items that needed to be done but were always being postponed because they were falling below the cutoff line.

I had recently retired and convinced my former organization to bring me back and work those below the line items. I wasn't distracted by the high priority items and gradually worked a lot of those below the line issues.

IMHO, this has really just been a poor management decision not devoting resources to work these more mundane issues.

I currently work in an IT organization. I love that my direct manager says "you can only work on 3 primary things at any given time", so has us organize stuff around timeframe to delivery for two of them, making the third be "any low hanging fruit that has been waiting over a year". It really helps get some of this stuff out the door that way. It also provides some relief to work on "simpler" problems as a break from our "big projects".

I have to say I think we are all going to be disappointed with 8.0. Looks like the entire focus has been on autopilot vs the UI improvements that Elon promised. I hope I'm wrong.
I feel relatively confident you're wrong. I think there will be UI improvements. Whether or not you'll be disappointed in them is a different question altogether.

In a perfect world all the folks on our forum would get exactly what they want for Christmas this October. But Elon doesn't have a big enough sack for that, nor a white beard or 8 reindeer . . .

In October, I for one will be thankful that I am participating in a paradigm shift in transportation (however incremental) that my grandkids will remember as the time in history when everything started to change . . .

I'm not sure how reliable the sensors are that are telling it if I'm holding the wheel.

On several occasions, I've been holding the wheel and gotten a please hold prompt - once or twice I got to an audible that way.

It doesn't really bother me now, but if the media is correct that the car will prompt far more often and penalize moving the wheel to clear it only, this could be a problem.

Sag, it's not holding the wheel per se, it's a slight torque that it can sense (backpressure against the motor it has to turn the wheel)
Are you doing that?

When you say "Looks like"....what are you basing that on? A press conference whose topic was only intended to be about autopilot improvements, or rumors? Did you miss the early part of this thread in which UI changes were explicitly mentioned?
Todd, when you talk about the UI changes mentioned at the beginning, I assumme you are talking about the 8.0 leak article. If that's the case I think what has some of us worried is:
1. All of a sudden 8.0 became 8.0 AND 8.1. Remembering back to the way Elon handled 7.0 where he promised AP and a complete UI revamp which turned into 7.0 being AP with the promise that 7.1 would have the UI changes. He then solicited feedback on Twitter for what people wanted in 7.1. It seemed like none of the feedback was taken and we got 7.1 with Summons and AP fixes. No Nav fix, no Media Player feature enhancements, not much. Very disappointing.
2. The leak article on 8.0 seemed to address everything, Nav, MP, Spotify, Trip Planner and new AP features like highway interchange merge and off ramp exits as well as addressing safety issues. Everyone got excited, they finally were coming through. In the press conference there was a reference to merges and exits but it was pushed to 8.1and integrated with Nav if a trip was active. That told me and others that at least one element of the UI was pushed out and I said to myself "here we go again" worried that everyone at Tesla was focused on fixing AP to address the fatal crash and that everything else could be pushed to 8.1 sometime down the road.
I really hope I'm wrong and history doesn't repeat itself.

Reactions: BertL and travwill
Todd, when you talk about the UI changes mentioned at the beginning, I assumme you are talking about the 8.0 leak article. If that's the case I think what has some of us worried is:
1. All of a sudden 8.0 became 8.0 AND 8.1. Remembering back to the way Elon handled 7.0 where he promised AP and a complete UI revamp which turned into 7.0 being AP with the promise that 7.1 would have the UI changes. He then solicited feedback on Twitter for what people wanted in 7.1. It seemed like none of the feedback was taken and we got 7.1 with Summons and AP fixes. No Nav fix, no Media Player feature enhancements, not much. Very disappointing.
2. The leak article on 8.0 seemed to address everything, Nav, MP, Spotify, Trip Planner and new AP features like highway interchange merge and off ramp exits as well as addressing safety issues. Everyone got excited, they finally were coming through. In the press conference there was a reference to merges and exits but it was pushed to 8.1and integrated with Nav if a trip was active. That told me and others that at least one element of the UI was pushed out and I said to myself "here we go again" worried that everyone at Tesla was focused on fixing AP to address the fatal crash and that everything else could be pushed to 8.1 sometime down the road.
I really hope I'm wrong and history doesn't repeat itself.

In part 7 of Electrek's transcript of the press call Elon answers the following:

Jordan Golson -The Verge
And then one last question: How long as this sort of radar primary thing has been in development? Is that something you have been doing in the past couple months since the fatal accident or is this been the primary thing all along?
Elon Musk – Tesla CEO
It’s something that I wanted to do for a while. Probably since late last year, but I was always told that it wasn’t possible, you can’t do it, it’s not gonna work, nobody else has made it work, software is too hard, sensor is not good enough, but I really pushed hard on questioning all those assumptions last 3 or 4 months. Like there got to be a way to make this work and now we believe that there is.

In other words, they rearchitected the core of AP during the last 3 to 4 months! To do this they must have dropped everything else that wasn't already completed, pushing it off to 8.1.