Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that Tesla will enter the full-scale roll out this weekend with many cars getting the update overnight tonight. We're still running at about 33% of the latest 7.1 rollout. First day of 2.36.31 saw 128 reports on ev-fw.com. First day of 2.36.108 saw only 43 reports.

I suspect that Tesla will enter the full-scale roll out this weekend with many cars getting the update overnight tonight. We're still running at about 33% of the latest 7.1 rollout. First day of 2.36.31 saw 128 reports on ev-fw.com. First day of 2.36.108 saw only 43 reports.

2.36.31 was a security issue and a fairly small update, so they pushed it hard - more reports more quickly than I think I've ever seen on the forums.

Elon explicitly said they are going slow with 8.0 - and they've already had one significant issue that led to a stop and an update for all the cars that got 8.0 initially.

Unfortunately, he seems to be holding us Xs for late in the sequenced roll - There are unconfirmed reports of one in NJ delivered today with 8.0, but so far no Xs updated that I'm aware of.

So has anyone here with 8.0 done the key experiment?

Does AP cut you off if ...

1) you get three visual flashing IP surround warnings (the first and most minimal nag to hold the wheel), or

2) only if you get three audible warnings?

Thanks!
I haven't tested this fully but I think there are 3 phases to the warning. First is the hold onto the steering wheel warning, second is the perimeter of the instrument cluster is flashing white and mutes your music momentarily, I believe there's a red flashing instrument cluster too and that may be when it requires you to put to park if you ignore that last warning. I only let it get to the while flashing.

I know it's hard to keep up with this and other threads... but... a poster who was having service done at a SvC, reported earlier today that Tesla has changed the geofenced game such that only VINs in with service Invoices are getting the update via the geofence. (I suspect Tesla is onto everyone trying to game their system, and attempting to take back control of whatever their deployment scheme may be. IMHO, it's Friday night, time to chill out, keep your smartphone nearby, or Apple Watch on your wrist like I do, and wait for the notification 8.0 is ready for your installation.)

Reactions: JenniferQ
Anybody else finding USB audio doesn't work AT ALL? My USB stick that used to work fine got read (insofar as the counter eventually got up to 100%) but the display subsequently sits at "MUSIC Starting..." for hours -- including through a reboot. And a USB stick remove/insert.

I didn't think they could make it worse. Never say never.

Last edited:
I have seen a couple videos posted of the new UI showing what the radar sees, but not one yet that shows both that and the view from the front window. Maybe those will come out later on today after the lucky few have had a chance to drive around a bit and post-process the recordings made. I did find it interesting that cars passing on either side do not show up until they get somewhat ahead of the drivers car. Kind of looked a bit spooky at first, but makes total sense given the forward facing radar. Looking forward to more videos, and glad to hear about the more human like braking and acceleration in TACC.

RT

Reactions: scottf200
There has been a place to sign in to Slacker for some time, so you could use your own acct if you elected. Otherwise, a quick email to Tesla Customer Service gets the owner the Tesla userid and password in case you want to long onto it on the WWW as well. I did that so I could sit at my desk and more conveniently set favorites up, then go into my MS and it was all there. Voila!

Must be missing something but in 8.0 I don't see the media player settings menu where you could enter your Slacker and TuneIn accounts - if I recall it used to be in application settings alongside nav and calendar?

Last edited:
Update staged 1:30am, Car on home wifi. But people looking for the magic formula may be confused, because I also

- drove by the local service center yesterday
- got on the Tesla Service network
- already got the "wait this isn't 8" security patch on Tuesday
- held a overnight vigil at Tesla HQ with other diehards singing (to the tune of We Shall Overcome) "we shall download 8 / someday / oh I do believe / deep in my car / we shall download 8 someday"

Or maybe I dreamed the last one.

I'm curious about the service network. New owner, being a geek and an insomniac the other night, I drove over to the service center and tried to connect. But it would not connect. The guest WiFi worked (once I googled the 'super secret' access code. But the service network didn't seem to know me. Is there a trick?

Must be missing something but in 8.0 I don't see the media player settings menu where you could enter your Slacker and TuneIn accounts - if I recall it used to be in application settings alongside nav and calendar?
Yes, in 7.2: Controls / Settings / Apps / Media Player
I don't have 8.0 yet, and of course, the 8.0 manuals are not on My Tesla yet to help further. Sorry.

Anybody else finding USB audio doesn't work AT ALL? My USB stick that used to work fine got read (insofar as the counter eventually got up to 100%) but the display subsequently sits at "MUSIC Starting..." for hours -- including through a reboot. And a USB stick remove/insert.

I didn't think they could make it worse. Never say never.

Have you tried renaming one of the folders on your USB stick to force a complete rescan?

I know it's hard to keep up with this and other threads... but... a poster who was having service done at a SvC, reported earlier today that Tesla has changed the geofenced game such that only VINs in with service Invoices are getting the update via the geofence. (I suspect Tesla is onto everyone trying to game their system, and attempting to take back control of whatever their deployment scheme may be. IMHO, it's Friday night, time to chill out, keep your smartphone nearby, or Apple Watch on your wrist like I do, and wait for the notification 8.0 is ready for your installation.)

Noob question: When the car is ready for an update will it push to the smartphone app too? I've not seen that with the two minor updates since I got the car.

Noob question: When the car is ready for an update will it push to the smartphone app too? I've not seen that with the two minor updates since I got the car.

Be sure you enable notification for software updates in your Tesla app on your smartphone. (Click the menu on the top left, then notifications, then scroll down until you see Application section and make sure Software Update is ticked)