Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it seems like Forward Collision Warning kicked in for you? What is your setting for that feature?

The settings are in Controls>Settings>Driver Assistance>Forward Collision Warning

this setting in particular is stored in your driver profile. You can turn it totally off or have various (3?) levels of sensitivity. I am sure that was pretty unsettling. You may want to dial it down a notch.

BTW, were you using TACC or full Autopilot Features at the time?

I was using full AP, and definitely slammed on the brakes. The regen is great now, but it was for surely a forceful stop. There were 2-3 car lengths between me and the car in front too.

My forward collision is set to the lowest sensitivity too.

I was using full AP, and definitely slammed on the brakes. The regen is great now, but it was for surely a forceful stop. There were 2-3 car lengths between me and the car in front too.

It seems to me that this is the exact type of info that TM would like to hear about. They can download your logs and analyze it. For the benefit of us all, please contact them.

I recommend sending a note to ServiceHelpNA@ including as many details as you can remember.

Bruce.

Reactions: DoubleE
Really liking the update all around (*)AP is nice (nags seem no different to me, YMMV). The new design looks nice and makes better use of space for the most part. Voice command is a bit better, maps a bit better (I like the street name on the bottom, that's more helpful than I expected). I'm hoping this is the foundation for lots of substantive improvement in the future. I like that AP can see two cars ahead now. On my usual drive I didn't sense much difference in AP behavior, though it did seem smoother in stop and go and faster to execute lane changes. Things also seem snappier in the UI, but that could be because they cleared some caches.

* I don't use USB for music.

I don't like the fact that the Icon Tool Bar disappears from the screen, this might be nice for some owners and not for others.I would like to see an option where the Toolbar could be locked in place for those who use it quite often.
When I back out of the garage, which I do several times a day, I need to Tap the Screen to get the Toolbar to appear then Tap the garage door Icon or whatever Icon I want to use - adding steps is an improvement??

I don't like the fact that the Icon Tool Bar disappears from the screen, this might be nice for some owners and not for others.I would like to see an option where the Toolbar could be locked in place for those who use it quite often.
When I back out of the garage, which I do several times a day, I need to Tap the Screen to get the Toolbar to appear then Tap the garage door Icon or whatever Icon I want to use - adding steps is an improvement??

Do you not use the auto-homelink with GPS? (Not saying you should, but it reduces the need to poke at the screen when getting going).

Great post. I played with 8.0 for about 20 minutes yesterday, and I still learned a lot from your findings. I'm generally disappointed with the USB handling. I'm pretty sad we got a nice, new, unified search and it explicitly excludes local music. The music. It's RIGHT THERE. Search it! Worse, we also lost the alphabet shortcuts. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of the media capabilities of the car, and while I do appreciate and like most aspects of the new interface, this actually feels like a step backward. And, unfortunately, we were already in a pretty bad spot compared to just about any other new car on the road.

I also find it concerning that essentially none of the Wish List got addressed. Tesla sounded receptive, but clearly wasn't incentivized to correct/add them. It would appear all hands are still on Autopilot (and redesigning the UI over and over), to the detriment of everything else.

The search box even says "Anything" which is a blatant like. It should say, "Search Anything except USB media."

Confirmed; I just gave it a try and when I set it to recirculate with the fan less than four, the fan jumps to four. When I turn the fan down lower than for after that, the recirculate setting is reset. I wonder why they did that.

So even if when first turning the fan manually below 4 and it automatically switching to fresh air instead of recirc, you cannot then turn back on recirc without it forcing an increase to speed 4? I just want to make sure I am clear that it is "NOT POSSIBLE" vs. "requires more steps now".

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Regarding the loss of the USB song alpha search capability, it just dawned on me that in my case if I know the song name I also know the Artist.... There is under USB a way to bring up the Artist list in alphabetical order which are on the USB. Then if you touch the artist you see all their songs.... Perhaps this can be a workaround?
It's not, because I have 1100 artists..... same problem, slow scrolling, accidental click on wrong artist, back out, then start over at the top.

Reactions: Gizmotoy
May work for those with a small number of tracks, or only with certain music types. It's not a good solution if you have lots of compilations, Broadway, or albums with multiple artists where the artist tag by MP3 definition lists all (or most) of the artists on a particular track. Tesla's Artist menu (used to be "tab") is dumb in the sense it alpha sorts that list by whatever is listed in that string of text...
An example. Let's say you have an album where most of the tracks are James Taylor alone, but on one is James and someone else... First, in the former and present menu structure, you'll see two lines in the Artist Menu for that one album -- one for "James Taylor", and another for "James Taylor, Somebody Else", or "James Taylor & Somebody Else", or some other permutation. ;) It becomes more crazy if that second artist is listed first in the tag because they have the lead, as it sorts out of sequence from the rest with Tesla's implementation. You can imagine what happens with say a Broadway Album where one track has many artists, and who is first on each varies widely song to song, or on compilation albums where one artist or group does say duets with many others varying from track-to-track.
As I mentioned earlier in my all too long post, the simpler solution while it eliminates detail, has always been for Tesla to just use the "Album Artist" tag on the Media Player Album Menu, where in my former example, all tracks would have been tagged "James Taylor" and then there would be just one entry for the Album. OTOH, if Tesla cared about making USB operate like other best-of-breed media players, they'd add logic to either use the compilation tag as a trigger for what to do, or like say ITunes does, parse the Artist tag into its individual Artists even when there are multiples on a single track. It's complicated, but Tesla's implementation to me demonstrates the designers and engineers coding/testing are only using simple examples with a small volume -- not likely what represents Tesla Owners that also are trying to bring a substantial music library into their Tesla as they have probably done on former luxury vehicles they have owned. Sorry.

...oh, and I should add, the workaround I've been using and continue to use with 8.0 that allows me to use the Artist Menu, is TeslaTunes (available on Mac only). It literally reads my source tracks, takes the Album Artist tag and puts that data into the (track) Artist tag when it builds a copy of the track onto my USB stick, working around Tesla's deficiency. That helps, but honestly, with lots of tracks, albums, or artists, we need the alpha-shortcut back as scrolling is just unreasonable if your trying to keep your eyes on the road.
Eyes on the road is key here. Not have the alpha shortcuts is dangerous.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I'll add that I like how the new map has more real estate.

However:

I used to quickly tap the camera icon when coming up on a merge on the highway or other instances where I wanted improved views of my blind spots. Can't do that quickly now that the map eats the title bar.

I'm open to adapting, however I'd like those icons to animate in more quickly when I tap the map so I can quickly get the rear camera up.

Also, I usually had camera on top and map on bottom prior to 8.0. That's more of a pain to set up with the camera and map both preferring the top in 8.0
Another great example of how we all like something different. I prefer rear camera on top and alternate between waze and media on the bottom. By having the camera lock to the top, this helps me keep my eyes on the road longer by shortening the arranging process to one click instead of 3-4.

It's not, because I have 1100 artists..... same problem, slow scrolling, accidental click on wrong artist, back out, then start over at the top.

Sounds like you have "The Jukebox from Hell" there.... sometimes scale works against you no matter how you prep for it.
Pretty unwieldy... not a criticism but rather an observation. I have my tunes on 3 32GB USBs in a switched port harmonica. Choose one of the USB's per day and run on shuffle.... always surprised.... directory is quickly built in perhaps under a minute... that's how I roll and it works great for me. Obviously your use case is different I suspect. Given the state of affairs... it may be prudent to prep your music in a similar fashion? It's like a box of chocolates.... ;-)

BTW, I think Tesla's media search function submits the search string to the "cloud"... perhaps that is why the USB is and will probably never be searchable... whatever "service" is doing the search is not aware of what is on our USB's or Phones etc.

What we need is a smart USB stick / appliance with voice recognition that does the search and presents the results to the Tesla media player as a subset of the whole media library. This cat needs to be skinned a different way perhaps.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia