Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP1 is a champ and performs consistently. With true off-ramping, (vs 'try my luck again this time') it'll meet my expectations. Until I'm 90, FSD isn't for me nor do I have an interest in AP on secondary streets. AP1 will continue to benefit from fleet learning which will ensure it remains one of the safest driver enhanced cars on the road. YMMV. My frustration with the UX, NAV etc is a bit disappointing.

Reactions: msnow and Evee
HW1 AP development is dead because there is no point in expending valuable resources for a product no longer in production and sales.
Agreed. I would assume that AP1 issues have been given a lower priority internally. I am sure most of us software developers are familiar with issue trackers where the low-priority issues can be years old, and everyone knows they won't ever be worked on.

I'm not sure where to post this exactly, but about an hour ago I got a notification of a "conversation" (PM) from @EV-FW.com. Upon checking my messages, I got a notification that 8.1(17.18.25) was installed on my car (S85D, AP1), and to click a link (which *appears* to be genuine) to confirm. I haven't had any recent firmware updates. The Tesla mobile app and TeslaFI.com both show my car running 17.11.10 (I'm too lazy to walk out to the garage right now). This information is clearly wrong. Anyone else get anything like this?

I can't remember getting any PMs from @EV-FW.com before, so I'm not even sure if this is legitimate (@HankLloydRight ?). (At $WORKPLACE we're a little paranoid about phishing attempts.)

Bruce.

It's legit. The message should reflect the firmware on your car if you have a token saved. I can pull the API response if you like.

If the API is returning a FW version different than installed, that is a bigger problem.

edit: As I mentioned in another thread, I did just move servers and databases, so it's possible there's a glitch.

To me - AP1 with 8.1 feels more confident. Did quite a bit of driving over the weekend (around 200-250 miles) and here are some of the things I noticed:

- Less nags. Believe I drove roughly 15 minutes before I got a nag at one point.
- Keeps lanes more confidently.
- It appears to track the car in front a little bit better (i.e. if the car in front is making a drastic correction to one side of the lane, appears that my car follows suit).
- Doesn't bias towards tractor trailers nearly as much when passing them
- Takes curves on the highway much better. Was driving 80-85 on a winding section of route 80 in NJ and it was taking those turns like a champ

One thing I did notice is that the "dance" that some people may refer to in lane keeping is potentially being used to refract the radar at different angles for a more accurate view of the road (maybe?). I read this on one of the posts - can't remember which.

Thanks for the detailed update on the improvements.

I am still running 7.1 (firmware 2.32.23 to be exact) on HW1. When 8.0 came out, I just did not see any reason to upgrade. The UI improvements did not seem like improvements (e.g., the map covering the icons at the top, less clear icons, etc), there seemed to be no meaningful additional functionality and from what I was reading AP was only going backwards compared to 7.1:
  • Nagging had gotten much worse
  • The one big innovation the new AP brought was being able to see two cars ahead. However, from what I read elsewhere on the forum, it only works with a low following distance. I usually use a following distance of 6 or 7, making this meaningless.
  • Several people reported there was a bias towards trucks which sounded very unsafe
  • There were many reports of poor lane keeping / swerving
  • AP speed on non-highways was limited to the speed limit and not 5 above (I know this has been fixed in the mean time)
  • The AP speed is automatically set to no higher than the speed limit + 5, whereas in 7.1 you could set it much higher and AP would adjust the speed as the speed limits changed. E.g., if you are driving on a 35mph road, you can set the speed to 50 as you know the speed limit will go up to 45 later on the same road. AP keeps the speed to 40 in the 35mph stretch of road and to 50 in the 45mph stretch of road.
It sounds from your comments above that AP in 8.1 is a bit better/more reliable than 8.0. However, I am still not sure if it is as good as AP in 7.1.

My Model S keeps reminding me to upgrade on a daily basis, which I just cancel. Is there a good reason to upgrade in the mean time?

• Helpful
Reactions: tga
Took my AP1 (17.11.10) roadtripping 400 miles this weekend, after neglecting it for several weeks with my AP2 (17.17.4).

It was liking putting on old slippers. No doubt in my mind it remains susperior to AP2.
IMO AP1 excels at:
-Reliable lane handling in a variety of conditions, beyond straight, flat roadways
-Overall road visbility (it sees vehicles in depth, in width, and bicycles/motocyclists etc)
-Drive line continuity when lanes disappear, split, HOV/car pool merges. etc.
-Smoother lane changing and continuous cornering
-Less abrupt slow downs (no whiplash)
-Hand on Wheel warnings (nothing for me with AP1, yet AP2 nags me often despite driving identically)

While we received a long, steady roll-out of AP1 upgrades to reach its confident state of handling, the progression of AP2 has been more feature focused (to gain so-called parity), than refined handling improvements. Someday all the AP2 gadgetry may leapfrog AP1 but until then, enjoy AP1. We aren't missing much yet.

I just got back last night from a 700 mile road trip, after upgrading to 17.14.23 from 2.52.22. Most of the driving was with AP. I have to say it's hard to tell a difference. If anything, there seemed to be a little less side to side "hunting" and less frequent nagging than with the prior version.

I left AP on going through a construction zone once and it freaked out as it approached the barrels, forcing me to correct at the last minute. I didn't leave AP on entering construction zones after that.

One complaint I have (both versions) - the car is still too aggressive diving towards exit lanes. If it loses one of the lane markings, I don't see why it can't follow the other one until it picks up the second one again. That's essentially what we do when we are driving ourselves.
I've noticed much less (if any) "aggressive diving towards exit lanes" since I got upgraded to 17.18.50 to fix the "can't disable traction control" bug - Traction Control question

So, despite the dire predictions by some, I'd say Tesla hasn't completely abandoned support for AP1.

Reactions: takeshiken
I'm on 17.11.10 with late 16 HW1 car. When I first used autopilot, it was "notchy" on curves. Now it is smooth, and occasionally sees oncoming traffic. It usually sees 2. cars ahead and sometimes 3. There are only 2 lane roads here, so I don't use it a lot. When cars move in or out of my lane, it is darn near perfect in adjusting the spacing it is improving but it doesn't seem to be coming from an update.

Tweet from Elon this afternoon re HW1 automatic emergency braking:

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 8.29.33 PM.png