Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone still have 8.0 on a RWD car? If so, could you try disabling traction control and see if it sticks?

I noticed I can't disable traction control anymore - it turns itself right back on. I had disabled it last winter to get unstuck from some snow. The only thing that has changed since then is swapping to summer tires (the car knows, due to a different set of TPMS sensors and being told the new wheels were 21's vs 19's for being snows) and the 8.1 update.
After contacting [email protected], the local service center pushed down the latest firmware, 8.1(17.18.50), which fixes the "can't disable traction control" bug I saw.

Tesla Autopilot: Elon Musk says next update features new ‘silky smooth’ control algorithm

The CEO also said that the Linux kernel upgrade for Tesla’s vehicles is coming soon.

The kernel upgrade was first associated with Tesla’s 8.1 update, which came in March, but it didn’t end up featuring the update nor the promised improved browser. Over the past ~6 months, Tesla’s software team has been focusing on delivering software for the second-generation Autopilot cars while non-Autopilot and first generation Autopilot cars have seen little to no new features or fixes aside from a few UI changes and a new mobile app.

Hopefully for owners, the kernel update will come with several bug fixes and features that owners have been asking for since 8.o0 and Tesla can start working on the ‘Enhanced Autopilot’ features for second generation Autopilot vehicles. The next few months should be exciting on that front.

upload_2017-5-22_7-35-34.png

Reactions: Evee
Where did Elon tweet that software dev on HW1 was dead?

Who said HW1 development was dead? I just said that the tweet that someone posted about in this thread doesn't apply to HW1 cars which this thread is about. In fact Elon pretty much said there will be no HW1 development until HW2 reaches feature parity:
ElonHW1Tweet.png

Or he is just saying we haven't left it behind yet but we will soon.

Hopefully for owners, the kernel update will come with several bug fixes and features that owners have been asking for since 8.o0

I'm hard-pressed to think of bug fixes that owners have been asking for, which can be solved simply by a kernel upgrade. I honestly think people are obsessing on the kernel upgrade too much...while I do hope for non-trivial improvements and fixes, they most likely won't be the direct result of a new Linux kernel. (Obviously this is just my opinion based on experience, if I happen to be proven wrong that's great...I'll have learned something and be driving a better car.)

Most Tesla owners think kernels have to do with corn (and that's the way it should be IMHO).

Bruce.

Reactions: BertL and kavyboy
I'm hard-pressed to think of bug fixes that owners have been asking for, which can be solved simply by a kernel upgrade. I honestly think people are obsessing on the kernel upgrade too much...while I do hope for non-trivial improvements and fixes, they most likely won't be the direct result of a new Linux kernel. (Obviously this is just my opinion based on experience, if I happen to be proven wrong that's great...I'll have learned something and be driving a better car.)

Most Tesla owners think kernels have to do with corn (and that's the way it should be IMHO).

Bruce.
The kernel update should improve the performance of the browser and center display which has been a sore spot for many users.

Also, just guessing here, with a kernel upgrade, many more and up-to-date libraries many be available for Tesla to draw upon to do things like an updated browser or media player. Perhaps the old kernel was hamstrung by not being able to use these updates.

Also, as I've posted before, a simple kernel update really would not help the anemic QtCarBrowser app currently in use. They will need to rip that out and install a new native browser app.

I also think people are too focused on the browser. Sure, it was really cool to have a full screen in-car browser in 2012. But frankly, I never use the in-car browser. Not because it sucks, but because the browsers on my phone already do pretty much everything I need without taking up real-estate on the touchscreen better used for Nav, media player, or energy. Even if they update the browser to Chrome, Opera, or Vivaldi, I still don't think I'd really use it.

Now if they also release an API to allow developers to develop local apps that run in the browser, well then, game on!

Last edited:
Also, just guessing here, with a kernel upgrade, many more and up-to-date libraries many be available for Tesla to draw upon to do things like an updated browser or media player. Perhaps the old kernel was hamstrung by not being able to use these updates.

Also, as I've posted before, a simple kernel update really would not help the anemic QtCarBrowser app currently in use. They will need to rip that out and install a new native browser app.

I also think people are too focus on the browser. Sure, it was really cool to have a full screen in-car browser in 2012. But frankly, I never use the in-car browser. Not because it sucks, but because the browsers on my phone already do pretty much everything I need without taking up real-estate on the touchscreen better used for Nav, media player, or energy. Even if they update the browser to Chrome, Opera, or Vivaldi, I still don't think I'd really use it.

Now if they also release an API to allow developers to develop local apps that run in the browser, well then, game on!
I'd recommend the Opera browser (WebKit - Chromium based). It has done wonders for my old Macbook Air and every other computer I've installed it on.
I'd also vote for an API... let the developers have at it... I think we could see some very nice apps.