Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soo.... before we start taking bets about what year August it will be out, anyone want to go back to the original topic and speculate what the first feature will be, and how long into version 9 we'll actually get it?
My guess is stopping at traffic lights. I also guess it will be 6 months after V9 is out. V9 will probably roll out in November (2018), meaning FSD V3 hardware upgrades will start May 2019, along with the traffic light feature. It could be many moons before we get a second feature though.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Soo.... before we start taking bets about what year August it will be out, anyone want to go back to the original topic and speculate what the first feature will be, and how long into version 9 we'll actually get it?
My guess is stopping at traffic lights. I also guess it will be 6 months after V9 is out. V9 will probably roll out in November (2018), meaning FSD V3 hardware upgrades will start May 2019, along with the traffic light feature. It could be many moons before we get a second feature though.

My expectation is full EAP features right off the bat at a minimum. I don't expect any FSD features as Elon has said.

On ramp to off ramp. No stoplights. Three months maybe, definitely six.

My guess is stopping at traffic lights. I also guess it will be 6 months after V9 is out. V9 will probably roll out in November (2018), meaning FSD V3 hardware upgrades will start May 2019, along with the traffic light feature.

I appreciate the optimism, and it's a good guess, but I don't see that happening as a first feature. Or even a second feature. Or a third.

Maybe this will be the sequence, and even this is suspect:

1. Suggested or automatic lane changing on the highway around slower traffic.
2. Suggested or automatic exiting from the highway.
3. Reaction to stop signs - this beyond mere recognition thereof. See staged December 2016 video for that example.
4. Recognition of traffic (red) lights.
5. Reaction to traffic lights.

They can't even get speed limit sign recognition or reaction right with AP2 - something that AP1 does almost completely flawlessly. There were so many errors during a recent trip to South Dakota (mostly in Utah and Wyoming for looooong stretches) that it was just an annoying joke - a joke that decreased my margin of safety in multiple cases as well. This almost 3 years after launch. This is one of the reasons that I no longer recommend AP2 cars to friends. Yet.

Clearly, a hybrid of AP1 and AP2 speed limit recognition and reaction would be optimal - rely upon camera recog/reaction as with AP1 except for those rare cases when the camera's view is blocked right at the moment one passes a speed limit sign that is different than the current speed limit. Then refer to the backup speed limit database and hope it's not broken.

Anyway, it would be niftyspiffykeen if something from the FSD suite reached the patient masses (in microcosm, that would be us) this year, but as noted, first there's the rest of EAP to deliver. So far, I've gotten less than nothing for my $8,000 relative to AP1 other than regressed AS/speed limit recognition, let alone reaction, occasionally possessed (which I suppose is better than repossessed) auto-sensing wipers, and auto-lane change that works every 3rd time I use the turn signal.

My expectation is full EAP features right off the bat at a minimum. I don't expect any FSD features as Elon has said.

No offense, but even this seems overly optimistic for the v9.x launch. My recollection of Elon's words is, paraphrased, that v9.0 sets the stage for future delivery of EAP and FSD features. Maybe we get some UI changes (I hesitate to use the word "fixes"), and maybe auto-lane change, but for openers, that's probably it. Now, at the same time maybe a few more of the cameras get activated... that would be nice.

I don't see substantial FSD until Tesla starts including their own SoC/board late next year (yes, I know they said sooner than that), and even then we'll have to wait longer for the obligatory SvC retrofits - unless we get priority over new, which I doubt.

There's one more piece - 10cm GPS. I don't believe that my car as-is can use that. Even with the new SoC but I could be wrong. And I seem to have it stuck in my mind that they weren't going to launch the traffic light reaction thing until the cars could leverage 10cm GPS. I'm sure someone else remembers about that part and may have already answered that question.

Once we've got the new SoC and 10cm GPS utilization, then yeah - most of the EAP and FSD features promised should be... deployable.

I appreciate the optimism, and it's a good guess, but I don't see that happening as a first feature. Or even a second feature. Or a third.

Maybe this will be the sequence, and even this is suspect:

1. Suggested or automatic lane changing on the highway around slower traffic.
2. Suggested or automatic exiting from the highway.
3. Reaction to stop signs - this beyond mere recognition thereof. See staged December 2016 video for that example.
4. Recognition of traffic (red) lights.
5. Reaction to traffic lights.

They can't even get speed limit sign recognition or reaction right with AP2 - something that AP1 does almost completely flawlessly. There were so many errors during a recent trip to South Dakota (mostly in Utah and Wyoming for looooong stretches) that it was just an annoying joke - a joke that decreased my margin of safety in multiple cases as well. This almost 3 years after launch. This is one of the reasons that I no longer recommend AP2 cars to friends. Yet.

Clearly, a hybrid of AP1 and AP2 speed limit recognition and reaction would be optimal - rely upon camera recog/reaction as with AP1 except for those rare cases when the camera's view is blocked right at the moment one passes a speed limit sign that is different than the current speed limit. Then refer to the backup speed limit database and hope it's not broken.

Anyway, it would be niftyspiffykeen if something from the FSD suite reached the patient masses (in microcosm, that would be us) this year, but as noted, first there's the rest of EAP to deliver. So far, I've gotten less than nothing for my $8,000 relative to AP1 other than regressed AS/speed limit recognition, let alone reaction, occasionally possessed (which I suppose is better than repossessed) auto-sensing wipers, and auto-lane change that works every 3rd time I use the turn signal.

No offense, but even this seems overly optimistic for the v9.x launch. My recollection of Elon's words is, paraphrased, that v9.0 sets the stage for future delivery of EAP and FSD features. Maybe we get some UI changes (I hesitate to use the word "fixes"), and maybe auto-lane change, but for openers, that's probably it. Now, at the same time maybe a few more of the cameras get activated... that would be nice.

I don't see substantial FSD until Tesla starts including their own SoC/board late next year (yes, I know they said sooner than that), and even then we'll have to wait longer for the obligatory SvC retrofits - unless we get priority over new, which I doubt.

There's one more piece - 10cm GPS. I don't believe that my car as-is can use that. Even with the new SoC but I could be wrong. And I seem to have it stuck in my mind that they weren't going to launch the traffic light reaction thing until the cars could leverage 10cm GPS. I'm sure someone else remembers about that part and may have already answered that question.

Once we've got the new SoC and 10cm GPS utilization, then yeah - most of the EAP and FSD features promised should be... deployable.
I totally agree, the more I think about it, it seems that version 9 is setting the stage for version 10 and the new chips. I think we’d will get some tricks and new Easter eggs and some UI improvements. There will be some impressive stuff like better integration of calendar and maybe some on ramp to off ramp things and automatic lane change, but I’ll be really disappointed if they don’t fix the speed limit sign recognition out of the gates On version 9. Autopilot is definitely a lot smarter and better currently, speed limit signage and more reliable and quick auto park would be impressive. This is going to be a work in progress thing. One day it’s going to be nuts how everything works reliably on music and voice command. Feels a long way off though. Still fingers crossed.

TaoJones said:

Clearly, a hybrid of AP1 and AP2 speed limit recognition and reaction would be optimal -

To be clear, AP2+ doesn’t even attempt to read speed limit signs yet, or at least doesn’t attempt to do anything based on what it’s reading behind the scenes. The speed limit display and AP limits are 100% based on a laughably incomplete and inaccurate database.

You have 10cm gps if you have an AP2 car.

I totally agree, the more I think about it, it seems that version 9 is setting the stage for version 10 and the new chips. I think we’d will get some tricks and new Easter eggs and some UI improvements. There will be some impressive stuff like better integration of calendar and maybe some on ramp to off ramp things and automatic lane change, but I’ll be really disappointed if they don’t fix the speed limit sign recognition out of the gates On version 9. Autopilot is definitely a lot smarter and better currently, speed limit signage and more reliable and quick auto park would be impressive. This is going to be a work in progress thing. One day it’s going to be nuts how everything works reliably on music and voice command. Feels a long way off though. Still fingers crossed.

Ok, maybe I should just get some sleep, but at what point in time does the koolaide stop? We’re now closing in on 2 years since the original video that made many buy there cars based on software “validation”. And nothing could be further from the truth. I love my car, honestly I’m not sure I can drive anything else now, but this is complete BS now. You took my money for promises of a feature your still not delivering, it’s time to do the right thing and completely refund those feature costs while leaving them enabled for giving them the benefits of our cars to gather there data so there beloved m3 customers would have at least somewhat functional AP software. This is getting to be the worst joke ever and we are all the punch line I’m afraid. Flame and disagree away.

This is getting to be the worst joke ever and we are all the punch line I’m afraid. Flame and disagree away.

Totally agree. I’m one of those that went all in on the FSD announcement and faked “demo”. Stood in line for a pre-reveal M3 reservation and then took the perfectly timed upgrade bait for a 60kwh MS after the AP2 announcement.

I love the car. Really do. I mean, it rattles like a tambourine 50k miles in and I’m absolutely terrified of wrecking it and having to deal with Tesla’s infantile approach to parts distribution and logistics... but I really do love it.

I’d love it even more if I didn’t feel completely duped and defrauded by the whole Autopilot thing.

Ok, maybe I should just get some sleep, but at what point in time does the koolaide stop? We’re now closing in on 2 years since the original video that made many buy there cars based on software “validation”. And nothing could be further from the truth. I love my car, honestly I’m not sure I can drive anything else now, but this is complete BS now. You took my money for promises of a feature your still not delivering, it’s time to do the right thing and completely refund those feature costs while leaving them enabled for giving them the benefits of our cars to gather there data so there beloved m3 customers would have at least somewhat functional AP software. This is getting to be the worst joke ever and we are all the punch line I’m afraid. Flame and disagree away.

I don't know about you guys, as I am the kool aid drinkinginest of the bunch, but I find myself disappointed in the whole version 9 roll out hype for august, or maybe it's the hyping of version 10 before 9 is out.... but either way, it's frustrating. I'm just disappointed I'm not driving version 9 right now.... I didn't expect FSD to be present in a real way before 2019, but I did expect more incremental achievements.... such as traffic lights, and better summon improvements. Oh well, guess I'll just wait......

You have 10cm gps if you have an AP2 car.

That's great news. Viewing stop sign recognition and reaction as a simpler challenge than traffic light interaction, this boosts my hopes for at least that with the current hardware. There are multiple signed intersections nearby where multiple Teslas can be stacked up. How nice it would be if they all started to move through the intersection efficiently *at the same time*. That right there cuts down congestion incrementally as more Teslas get into the mix.

Totally agree. I’m one of those that went all in on the FSD announcement and faked “demo”. Stood in line for a pre-reveal M3 reservation and then took the perfectly timed upgrade bait for a 60kwh MS after the AP2 announcement.

I love the car. Really do. I mean, it rattles like a tambourine 50k miles in and I’m absolutely terrified of wrecking it and having to deal with Tesla’s infantile approach to parts distribution and logistics... but I really do love it.

I’d love it even more if I didn’t feel completely duped and defrauded by the whole Autopilot thing.

Ah feels yer pain.

I went all in based on the probability of a 100kWh battery being available before the January/April cutoff for included SCing. So in about February, this indeed happened - they called in the morning and said, "Congrats - you can have the 100kWh battery for a $3K upcharge - I said "sign me up"." Then they called late that day and said they wouldn't let me have the 100kWh upgrade without losing included SCing, nor would they honor the accelerated value of my GRV (guaranteed resale value) document for the existing car. Since included SCing is worth thousands of dollars a year to me, that's how I got stuck with a 90kWh car, the only advantage to which is that SCing transfers to the next owner. ***4 weeks after the April 15th cutoff, they gave included SCing to everyone, including those 100kWh cars.*** Bait, meet switch. And because I put easily $10K in aftermarket upgrades into my cars and due to the state sales tax (another $10K), there weren't any practical options after that. I walked away from the deal and my $2500 in February. Then they left a voicemail in mid-March saying they were building my car. That's when I got in touch with JonMc. In hindsight, I should have still walked away.

And then I find out the hard way that AP2 is worse than AP1. To this day, it lurches toward center medians.

Soon after this clusterfook, I was approached by a law firm to be a class representative. I declined, since I was and am long TSLA and also didn't see the point of the brain damage for the potential return (you get a few thou$and extra as a class rep). But it doesn't mean I'm happy about it. If v9 turns out to be another year of failure to deliver, then I wouldn't turn down an $8K refund or a $3K refund.

Not that we'll get it. Really, when you think about it, all they have to do is deliver *one* FSD feature and that will be that. Since all I've ever really wanted out of that entire feature set was stop sign reaction (first mentioned by Elon in late 2014 in association with the AP1 event), if the one feature turns out to be that, then great - keep my money and more power to them. After all, Mobileye had it as we saw in the December 2016 video.

But nothing substantial within (silent E)AP or FSD for ~2 years and regressed functionality on top of that? Yeah, I'd feel bad for those who leased, for starters.

You took my money for promises of a feature your still not delivering, it’s time to do the right thing and completely refund those feature costs while leaving them enabled for giving them the benefits of our cars to gather there data so there beloved m3 customers would have at least somewhat functional AP software. This is getting to be the worst joke ever and we are all the punch line I’m afraid. Flame and disagree away.
Why would you have given your money to @buttershrimp? You know he’s not going to do anything but spend it on rap! What were you thinking man!