Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, again. Sorry to reuin anyones hope, I was also an optimist way back then. 18 months and counting since I got my AP2 car... We will probably wait 24 months for EAP and longer for FSD.

I remember that guy who bet $10000 to charity this time last year that any of the missing EAP features would come 1st of March 2018.

Yes, again. Sorry to reuin anyones hope, I was also an optimist way back then. 18 months and counting since I got my AP2 car... We will probably wait 24 months for EAP and longer for FSD.

I remember that guy who bet $10000 to charity this time last year that any of the missing EAP features would come 1st of March 2018.

The only thing I would be even reasonably comfortable Betting on is that NO PUBLICLY ANNOUNCED DATE for anything software related will ever be on time or ahm ahm early lol lol.

• Funny
Reactions: daktari
The point is to point out the pattern of consistently missed deadlines and wildly, ridiculously, over-the-top optimistic promises of what would be delivered.

In Dec 2016 they sold a product "dependent upon extensive validation and regulatory approval". But it is now obvious that they didn't have anything to validate or get approved. They didn't say anything about still needing to develop the product they were selling.

Here is what it still says in the official FSD option description:

Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. It is not possible to know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval. Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.​

Says nothing about any features still being developed, nor anything about the fact that you need the new HW3 (also still in development) for the FSD features. But they suggest that it's going to be good enough to use it for autonomous ride sharing! I wonder which "next year" the details of the Tesla Network will be released? And for EAP, they say:

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval.​

So only "validation" and "regulatory approval" are required for: On-ramp to Off-ramp with unassisted lane change and Smart Summon (car driving around corners to get to you)? They have not finished development of those features, but they're selling them as if they're ready to go and it's just some annoying paperwork they have to get through before they can release them.

But hey, at least we got $20 from that class action settlement, right?

The point is to point out the pattern of consistently missed deadlines and wildly, ridiculously, over-the-top optimistic promises of what would be delivered.

In Dec 2016 they sold a product "dependent upon extensive validation and regulatory approval". But it is now obvious that they didn't have anything to validate or get approved. They didn't say anything about still needing to develop the product they were selling.

You are beating a dead horse as they say.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Not this again. sigh. We are not talking about when AP2 was released. We are talking about V9 as it related to when Musk promised V9 would be released. Musk said V9 would roll out in August so if V9 is released in Sept, that would be a 1 month delay.

My understanding was the release to Beta testers (under their NDA program) would happen in late August, and then the release to the general fleet would happen in September.

I used to try to predict when the release would happen of various features, but I found a much harder less predictable game to play. That is trying to predict how long Elon can go without embarrassing all of us Tesla owners/fan/supporters/etc.

Elon's tweets about Autopilot features and schedules are roughly as reliable as his tweets about pedophilia and about securing funding to take a $50B public company private.

Spot on.

The first EAP lease returns should begin around October. Sucks for those owners.

Most likely, it still won't be able to reach parity with AP1 and read road signs. Prove me wrong!

Tesla patents automated turn signal system where the car uses the cameras to automatically use the turn signal without driver input:
Tesla patent teases Automated Turn Signaling system using cameras, radar and sensors

The fact that Tesla has patented this tech should be a good sign for FSD.

Look at the diagram in the article, specifically the flow chart decision node numbered 412, "Is the Driver Applying Steering Action?". This is for turning on the turn signal when the driver applies steering force without turning on the signal. This is driver assistance, not FSD. FSD would know if it intends to turn or not and would turn on the signal prior to beginning the maneuver; this patent would not be required.

The author of the article also appears to have been confused about this, but it's right there in the diagram they selected for the article.

So it will blink randomly when we will "apply light force" to prevent nags?

According to the flow chart in the patent, only if you start to cross the lane lines. Which also makes this a rather useless feature -- by the time you cross the lane lines it's really too late for the turn signal to be helpful to other drivers -- they've already realized you're a jerk and will begin drive accordingly.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
According to the flow chart in the patent, only if you start to cross the lane lines. Which also makes this a rather useless feature -- by the time you cross the lane lines it's really too late for the turn signal to be helpful to other drivers -- they've already realized you're a jerk and will begin drive accordingly.

The actual patent has a number of different cases. At least one could be applied to auto overtaking:
[0010] An embodiment includes a storage device having stored therein a set of processor executable instructions which, when executed by an electronic processing system, cause the electronic processing system to: determine a path of travel of a first vehicle relative to a lane line based on a first set of data received from an image capture device of the first vehicle; determine that a second vehicle is present within a predetermined distance from the first vehicle based on a second set of data received from a reflective wave detector; activate a turn signal source of the first vehicle when (a) the first vehicle has a travel path and a steering angle such that the first vehicle will cross the lane line or effect a turn, and (b) the second vehicle is present within the predetermined distance from the first vehicle.

And this one looks like it is a generic catch-all for self-driving:
[0011] An embodiment includes an apparatus for automatic turn signal source activation, the apparatus comprising: a vehicle including a processor, a camera, a steering angle sensor, and a turn signal source, wherein the processor is programmed to determine when the vehicle is going to turn or leave a lane based on data from at least one of the camera or the steering angle sensor, wherein the processor is programmed to activate the turn signal source when the processor determines that the vehicle is going to turn or leave the lane.

Reactions: diplomat33