Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recorded a quick video showing AP2.5 on 2018.24.1 going about 2 foot over the central line on a fairly clearly marked road.

Whilst its not ideal conditions I would expect AP to manage a road like this on its own before I would trust it in most conditions. Every release of firmware I drive this same road and do the same test in the hope it will be able to take it any better.

I recorded a quick video showing AP2.5 on 2018.24.1 going about 2 foot over the central line on a fairly clearly marked road.

Whilst its not ideal conditions I would expect AP to manage a road like this on its own before I would trust it in most conditions. Every release of firmware I drive this same road and do the same test in the hope it will be able to take it any better.

Is the speed limit there 50? I’ve got a spot on my drive where the speed limit is technically 35, but if I don’t lower the speed to 30 I’m fairly certain it would drive me off the road. It gets right on the line at 30... So I keep lowering the speed while on AP in the hopes that one day I will have driven it enough to inform their maps to auto lower the speed limit. Might be wishful thinking lol.

Yes, exactly 50, it doesn't even try to slow down for the corner in any way. The corner can be taken manually at 50mph with ease but the AP just drifts over the line. Its no big issue but it is my test corner to see how AP is performing between firmware revisions.
Makes sense, pretty much the same in my case, though not slowing probably exceeds the turn angle on mine segment beyond what is currently allowed by the control algorithm as it aborts AP if I let it fly, problem being though it does that midway through the turn, resulting in the car driving right off the road if the driver is not at the ready.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
It’s possible I’m misremembering, but I believe Autosteer+ only talked about tighter turns, and didn’t mention local roads. And the tighter turns bit has already been there for a while now.
The cars in the marketing picture are going opposite directions, lane against lane, on what obviously is not a freeway/highway/autostrada. What did marketing got told when they made that illustration, if not a local road?

Reactions: rnortman and croman
Ok, so you think the illustration is of a one-lane freeway, with a thin fence as a divider, and max 30 mph turns? That is not what I see.
But agree, I am not expecting EAP to handle roundabouts or intersections.

Pretty much. Looks like a slightly more exaggerated example of some of the one and two lane highways around here. Regardless, from the description, it pretty clearly is just referring to being able to handle tighter turns, which does appear to be the case in EAP vs AP1.

Pretty much. Looks like a slightly more exaggerated example of some of the one and two lane highways around here. Regardless, from the description, it pretty clearly is just referring to being able to handle tighter turns, which does appear to be the case in EAP vs AP1.

Yeah regardless of how literally we take these marketing diagrams, the claim that AP2 Autosteer handles more challenging roads compared to AP1 is pretty true these days.... Of course we'd love to see it improve even more, but that claim about AP2 seems to finally be starting to be a reality.

Reactions: Electroman
Based on this thread, there's going to be some really disappointed people in a few weeks.
I'm already :) still on 21.9

Not really a divided highway is this? Asking because I believe AP is for divided highways.

Just playing devil's advocate:

It still cannot handle all of the CA-17 curves, which has a speed limit of 55 to 65 with advisory speed limits posted lower (but not always respected by the car). Some of those require turning the steering wheel close to 90 degrees to follow, which it simply refuses to do.

Same with a few small stretches of Pacheco Pass which is 65mph with no advisory speed limits, but actually driving in that lane next to the shoulder less concrete divider at 65 is fairly challenging.

But it's pretty hard now to find a true highway with curves sharp enough to foil AP2. AP2 is doing quite well at curves and you'd have a really really hard time finding any other system that comes close.
I grew up in Santa Cruz and commuted to San Jose for years. IMHO, if autopilot can handle CA-17, it is awesome. That road is like the old video game Night Driver. At least you didn't say autopilot fails on Heckar Pass. Do us all a favor and beta test AP on that road....;)

BD

• Funny
Reactions: landis
There are many freeway/highways with opposing lanes right next to each other. Now, if it had an intersection...

Divided highway can't really look like what's depicted there. You can't have traffic going so close together without a divider like a concrete wall. Head on collisions would be deadly. I'm not saying the image is conclusive proof of local roads but it isn't a divided highway like Tesla prefers for AP usage.

Divided highway can't really look like what's depicted there. You can't have traffic going so close together without a divider like a concrete wall. Head on collisions would be deadly. I'm not saying the image is conclusive proof of local roads but it isn't a divided highway like Tesla prefers for AP usage.
Yes, the saddest thing with AP2, apart from the soon 2 year delay, is the decieving marketing. Really unnecessary.

Except the E in EAP remains decidedly silent now almost 2 years since launch, and AP2 still isn’t better than AP1.

Yeah regardless of how literally we take these marketing diagrams, the claim that AP2 Autosteer handles more challenging roads compared to AP1 is pretty true these days.... Of course we'd love to see it improve even more, but that claim about AP2 seems to finally be starting to be a reality.

Can’t agree, despite marked improvement at slower than highway speeds (ironic, given the disclaimers, that AP2 would be closer in parity to AP1 on the very roads expressly disclaimed).

AP2 started off behind AP1, and is still behind AP1 in more than one area. Let’s consider just one area - lane markers:

In mid-October 2015, when AS was introduced, AP1 held a curve on I-89 along the NH-VT border at 70mph without crossing lane markers. A good thing, since my old nemesis, centrifugal force, would have given me less than a second to avoid guardrails. Shortly thereafter, it tried to exit that interstate by disregarding a dashed line, but never mind that now long-since-fixed bug. Point being that AP1 only very rarely transgressed across a lane marker then or now.

Today, in July 2018 after almost 2 years of deployment, AP2 *still* meanders across lane markers, and while it hasn’t tried to exit the freeway lately, it does still phantom brake - not just under random overpasses.

Yes, the saddest thing with AP2, apart from the soon 2 year delay, is the dec[ei]ving marketing. Really unnecessary.

One class action suit down (don’t spend that $20-$280 all in one place) and more suits to come at this rate, yeah.

If one parses Elonspeak judiciously, in six weeks or ten, we may finally have maps sufficient to enable the first FSD feature - and if the maps are good enough for that, then ideally we’ll finally have a non-silent E in EAP almost 2 years past the promise of parity for AP2 versus AP1.

I can’t quite see AP2 being as good as AP1 (for example, with regard to crossing lane markers) without better maps; also it seems that it will be awhile before we get 10cm GPS utilization... but there’s room for a pleasant surprise yet. Many opined that we wouldn’t have back up lines with the current rear camera, and one day that changed. Separately, maybe activating more cameras will help (one would think).

If history is any guide, v9.1 around October combined with some kind of October Surprise (remember 2014 and 2016 *twitch*) - over and above a strong Q3 report - should set up that short squeeze of the century that’s now a tad late as well. And finally bring AP2 up to AP1 if they also fix the speed limit db thing by using a hybrid solution as previously discussed.

I've driven both AP1 and AP2.5 cars, I think both have there ups and downs. AP1 seems to do more autonomously. For example, AP2.5's automatic lane change is georestricted. Eg, I can only change lanes where Tesla has told the car its okay there.

AP1 seems to 'see' this by itself. I can change lanes almost everywhere where AP2.5 can only do it on motorways/highways and some beltways.

I'm starting to believe that Tesla is improving AP2 by enabling features in software. What I mean by that is that they rely less om camera and add more code to specific locations. Lots of geolocations. For example, from what I have heard the phantom breaks in recent software are resolved by adding 'geo whitelists', eg. a list of locations where the car should not apply brakes. Sounds like a work-around to me, instead of a solution.

Then we have the lane change, which also seems to be georestricted.

I believe this is unworkable in the long rung. You cannot geofence the entire world. It's also a lot of work to keep this updated.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I heard it on this forum, in the Dutch sections. can't recall from whom.

However, it does sounds plausible to me. I still have phantom brakes from time to time, but its getting less, even while I haven't updated the car's software.

I find that hard to believe as it's a terrible workaround. Braking seems random and related to all manner of conditions, slight weather and lighting changes, other vehicle combinations, time of day etc. etc. etc. More often than not I believe what most people perceive as improvements within the same release are just them getting used to how it feels.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Mmm, it doesn't look at all random to me. I used to have phantom brakes on the exact same spot, usually right before I go under a cross section or something similar. So sudden changes of shade.

time of day looks plausible, as the consensus seems to be that it was due to shade on the road that the car sees as an object. During evening or night there won't be as much as a difference in light, hence phantom braking would not occur.

But don't take anything i say for granted. I don't know for sure, its just what I heard and what I've experienced myself.

However, the geolocation about automatic lane change is very true! tested that with AP1 and AP2 just last week.