Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got it! I understand the recent trend in autopilot and its relationship to FSD features. After driving some more today and experiencing tons of nags and alerts, I've figured out what the first FSD feature will be! If you paid for FSD, you'll get less nags!
You think your Tesla nags? No, THIS is the nag!
At 18 minutes, Hyundai Kona:

I think 9 will bring some changes to the UI to support things that have been hinted at like "360" view when parking and a dashcam facility. Maybe some changes to the M3 UI for homologation outside of the US/Canada.

Also (IMO), the FSD featurettes will need a revision to the Autopilot UI. Things like auto overtake and exiting the freeway would work better (for the driver) if the UI showed an arrow graphic to explain what the car was about to do. Otherwise the driver will just take control thinking that AP is being flaky.
My thinking is that some FSD features will belong to FSD.....NOT EAP.

They are going to have to start justifying the cost some folks paid for FSD.

Just a quick question, are Teslas equiped to receiving position signals only from GPS satellites, or can they receive signals also from other constellations, namely the new European Galileo positioning system (or Glonass or Beidu)?
I believe the chip they used can receive signals from some of the systems other than US GPS, however I am not sure if they actually use those signals or not...

• Helpful
Reactions: f205v
However, the geolocation about automatic lane change is very true! tested that with AP1 and AP2 just last week.
I have complained many time on this stupidity, 90% of my drive is on a road that should be allowed. The driver should be the one responsible to determine if the road and the conditions are ok to change lanes, not the maps.
Perhaps if the car is in FSD mode it may be considered but with the freaking maps so outdated it would be a nightmare to drive behind a slow moving truck for 150 miles just because Tesla decided it knows better then the driver.

I have complained many time on this stupidity, 90% of my drive is on a road that should be allowed. The driver should be the one responsible to determine if the road and the conditions are ok to change lanes, not the maps.
Perhaps if the car is in FSD mode it may be considered but with the freaking maps so outdated it would be a nightmare to drive behind a slow moving truck for 150 miles just because Tesla decided it knows better then the driver.
Indeed, and yet even with the geolocation, it will happily let me change lanes into... the emergency stopping lane on my local freeway.

Reactions: rnortman
It's all for science. No rush
The science of a script kid telling all of us we are dumb and cant decide what is safe or not in our drives, and to top it off, the lack of care from management to properly implement checks and balances that allow this type of programming to happen,
To use outdated maps and dumb programming ideas no one yet explained the real reason why was this decided to be this way.
Auto or semi auto lane change, an awesome idea ruined by a control freak script kid at Tesla. How sad.

Reactions: don123
The science of a script kid telling all of us we are dumb and cant decide what is safe or not in our drives, and to top it off, the lack of care from management to properly implement checks and balances that allow this type of programming to happen,
To use outdated maps and dumb programming ideas no one yet explained the real reason why was this decided to be this way.
Auto or semi auto lane change, an awesome idea ruined by a control freak script kid at Tesla. How sad.
You missed the point. I'm not debating nags being good or bad. I want to see environment where I have to be extra careful when using autopilot, especially if it's consistent behavior.

Tweeted 4 days ago and still just crickets chirping from @Elonmusk & @teala

B412D115-3024-4613-B922-D9B62A41C0F7.png

Reactions: MarkKW and croman

I absolutely guarantee you no "script kid" made this decision. This decision was made by somebody with professional experience developing safety-critical systems -- probably a whole room full of them -- with way more information about the capabilities and limitations of the system than you have.

My belief is they have to use maps to guide auto lane change because AP2 is not capable of deciding itself. AP1, I speculate, could discern oncoming trafic and know itself when to bloc auto lane change.
A work around, not a wanted state.

When the system starts to know its own behavior or provide us a real alerting nag, it's a sign we're close to real AI and FSD. Right now the system or the script kid simply tries hard to outsmart us.
Actually while I don't believe we're anywhere near real AI and FSD, the latest .26 version of autopilot has extra alerts at what it thinks are conditions it can't handle, such as T intersections and gives audible alerts without any flashing warning before hand under those circumstances. Additionally I've had it abort far more often in similar situations. Since I'm a sucker that continually tests it to see its progress and use autopilot 90% of the time in urban areas (in addition to 100% on highways) I've seen this quite abrupt change in behaviour.

Actually while I don't believe we're anywhere near real AI and FSD, the latest .26 version of autopilot has extra alerts at what it thinks are conditions it can't handle, such as T intersections and gives audible alerts without any flashing warning before hand under those circumstances. Additionally I've had it abort far more often in similar situations. Since I'm a sucker that continually tests it to see its progress and use autopilot 90% of the time in urban areas (in addition to 100% on highways) I've seen this quite abrupt change in behaviour.
I have also noticed this.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Ditto! Today I was actually stopped behind another car at an intersection but there was a lot of fast moving cross traffic. The person in front started changing lanes and that resulted in a TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY alarm.

Definitely seems like it’s better at detecting situations that are beyond its capabilities

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad