Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actual self driving software will happen later, they'll cross that bridge once the problem of what the driver will do (play games) while the car is self driving is solved first. ;)

I have to admit that these easter egg games kinda annoy me. I know that they don't take up much of any development time but still. And hopefully, the updates will also have substantive improvements to the actual driving of the car. The updates won't be just the games. But the idea of Tesla even including the ability to play Atari games in your car bugs me. Focus on AP and FSD Tesla!!!! You should not be spending any time adding games and such, especially when so many of your customers paid thousands of dollars for improved AP and FSD months ago!!!!

On the new 9.0 coming up, will this be fuctional on ie: a model S builder date of Dec.2016 with AP2 capable and doesn't have the newest chipset. At that time, Elon said he would make sure to make older chipset also on pare with software update to compensate for new chipset? If not does it mean the extra $3000 plus $5000 paid 2017 in March for FSD will not work now?

On the new 9.0 coming up, will this be fuctional on ie: a model S builder date of Dec.2016 with AP2 capable and doesn't have the newest chipset. At that time, Elon said he would make sure to make older chipset also on pare with software update to compensate for new chipset? If not does it mean the extra $3000 plus $5000 paid 2017 in March for FSD will not work now?
Pretty sure he said that he expected FSD to work on current hardware. I assumed that to mean AP2 or AP2.5. However, if it did not he said he would update the hardware at no cost. He may have been talking about AP2 to AP2.5 or to AP3.0. BUT, you would have to have purchased the FSD to get the new hardware. In regards to the first v9 update. He said they would be just starting to release FSD Features. I think we are a long way off from needed new AP Hardware. But it is just speculation at this point.

Pretty sure he said that he expected FSD to work on current hardware. I assumed that to mean AP2 or AP2.5. However, if it did not he said he would update the hardware at no cost. He may have been talking about AP2 to AP2.5 or to AP3.0. BUT, you would have to have purchased the FSD to get the new hardware. In regards to the first v9 update. He said they would be just starting to release FSD Features. I think we are a long way off from needed new AP Hardware. But it is just speculation at this point.

Agreed. The major changes in HW2.5, roughly sorted by order of relevance in my opinion, are:
  • Redundancy (steering, radar, two compute nodes)
  • Addition of a Blue color channel to the front cameras, possibly full RGB for side repeater cameras?
  • New, more modern Continental radar
  • Marginally more compute power

I really think the compute power in HW2.5 is relatively insignificant. The second node doesn't have a discrete GPU where most of the neural net processing would be done. IMO it's more of a safely-pull-over redundancy so that the loss/crash of the primary node doesn't instantly lead to an uncontrolled car.

I think the biggest risks leading to requiring HW2.5 are (in this order):
  1. They can't recognize traffic lights reliably without RCCB cameras rather than RCCC.
  2. Legally they cannot get Level 3 or higher (eyes-off) autonomy approved without a redundancy story.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkS22
I have to admit that these easter egg games kinda annoy me. I know that they don't take up much of any development time but still. And hopefully, the updates will also have substantive improvements to the actual driving of the car. The updates won't be just the games. But the idea of Tesla even including the ability to play Atari games in your car bugs me. Focus on AP and FSD Tesla!!!! You should not be spending any time adding games and such, especially when so many of your customers paid thousands of dollars for improved AP and FSD months ago!!!!
I doubt they took people off FSD and EAP to port Atari games to Tesla instead. This has to be work for the new interns from school hoping to get a job, which is pretty much what I expect.

You can't put them on the hardest problems immediately, got to put them on trivial problems first to train them and for them to get familiar with the structure.

In the conference call just now, I think I heard Stuart say that V9 will enable the on off ramp feature and auto lane change without driver input, allowing the car to follow your nav automatically on the highway and then turn back control when it exits a highway,

Yep, heard the exact same thing. Very cool.

They're also talking a lot about a v3 chip with an order of magnitude improvement in performance that can be dropped into S/X/3. Is this news? No details on the call around whether these will be provided at no cost to existing owners....

They're also talking a lot about a v3 chip with an order of magnitude improvement in performance that can be dropped into S/X/3. Is this news? No details on the call around whether these will be provided at no cost to existing owners....

Yeah, it sounds like the V3 chip (can we call it AP3?) will be good enough for FSD. They said it can process 2000 frames per second!! WOW. I know Musk has said that it will be a free upgrade for customers who prepaid for FSD. Hopefully, customers like me who will buy FSD after delivery will also get that free upgrade. I really look forward to getting that new chip because it sounds like it will dramatically improve EAP and enable FSD.

Yeah, it sounds like the V3 chip (can we call it AP3?) will be good enough for FSD. They said it can process 2000 frames per second!! WOW. I know Musk has said that it will be a free upgrade for customers who prepaid for FSD. Hopefully, customers like me who will buy FSD after delivery will also get that free upgrade. I really look forward to getting that new chip because it sounds like it will dramatically improve EAP and enable FSD.

Now the big question is - existing cars who had ordered FSD. Will they get HW3 when it is ready, OR when FSD is 100% feature complete?

Now the big question is - existing cars who had ordered FSD. Will they get HW3 when it is ready, OR when FSD is 100% feature complete?
I'll resist the temptation to say in 3-6 months, but nonetheless, if you have purchased FSD, I'm quite sure that as soon as any feature is released that needs the upgraded hardware, they will be obliged to provide said upgrade.

Reactions: d21mike

My guess is that Tesla will make the hardware upgrade available when they reach that point in FSD where they feel that the customer needs the upgrade to be able to use FSD.

I'll resist the temptation to say in 3-6 months, but nonetheless, if you have purchased FSD, I'm quite sure that as soon as any feature is released that needs the upgraded hardware, they will be obliged to provide said upgrade.

That sounds like the most reasonable thing.

Agreed. And I'll add that I'm quite sure that they will not provide said upgrade until such feature(s) are released.
And definitely not to those cars that haven't paid for fsd. Once fsd is paid for, a trip to sc will be scheduled for this and potentially other updates.

The follow nav on highway sounds like a feature promised under EAP so I am hoping that we will get these features in V9 if we have EAP but not FSD.
One can argue this is included because EAP had on/off ramp in original description but another way they could separate fsd from EAP is that fsd uses nav and EAP does not (just point EAP in direction and it goes with blinkers that help EAP get on/off highway). I would take even this (no nav) functionality in EAP as amazing.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
And definitely not to those cars that haven't paid for fsd. Once fsd is paid for, a trip to sc will be scheduled for this and potentially other updates.

One can argue this is included because EAP had on/off ramp in original description but another way they could separate fsd from EAP is that fsd uses nav and EAP does not (just point EAP in direction and it goes with blinkers that help EAP get on/off highway). I would take even this (no nav) functionality in EAP as amazing.

Or, no joke, EAP requires a hand on the wheel with nags and FSD removes the nags. In theory, EAP can always require a human ready to take over.

Make EAP’s coolest features annoying enough and you get more people to pay for the upgrade while technically delivering on the promise.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad

I do not see how they can not include it when that is one of the big features to separate AP (AP1 Cars) and EAP (AP2+ cars). How can you have On-Ramp to Off-Ramp without GPS/NAV? Surface Street Driving and all that entails is a very large separator between EAP and FSD which is how it has alway in the past been presented.

Reactions: rnortman