Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will L4 allow the individual to be intoxicated and be driven home. I would assume that's probably L5 talk.
Speaking more seriously, I'd say that even level 5 won't suffice if the driver has the option of taking over the vehicle when they are still "in charge of it". It'd probably only be legal for a vehicle without a steering wheel.

Reactions: rnortman
Speaking more seriously, I'd say that even level 5 won't suffice if the driver has the option of taking over the vehicle when they are still "in charge of it". It'd probably only be legal for a vehicle without a steering wheel.
you are probably correct. I cant be the only person that wants this as a option.

If elon's claim is right. the vehicle can get hired by a secondary company and take people from point A to B. technically those people could be under the influence with no driver at the wheel. I assume that's Level 5.

Will L4 allow the individual to be intoxicated and be driven home. I would assume that's probably L5 talk.

L4 cars don't even need to have a steering wheel and pedals. They are completely autonomous on certain roads in certain conditions. That can be really broad, like "autonomous on any legal paved road, driveway, or parking structure when snow is less than 1" thick". L4 cars will be used as driverless taxi fleets; the occupants will have no ability to control the car beyond telling it where to go. Why would we require such passengers to be sober?

L5 means it can do anything a human driver can do, like drive off-road during a zombie apocalypse with one flat tire and a person leaning out the back window firing a shotgun at the approaching hoarde.

We're not going to have L5 for a while.

Reactions: conman
Given the lack of meaningful updates the last couple of weeks and the silence still surrounding the Model 3 Performance “track mode” stuff, I suspect they may be saving a handful of items (admittedly they could all be minor) for the V9 (or whatever) update.

It’s been suspiciously quiet for a while now.

I also have no idea what I’m talking about and could be wildly off and V9 does nothingness but break mirror folding.

Given the lack of meaningful updates the last couple of weeks and the silence still surrounding the Model 3 Performance “track mode” stuff, I suspect they may be saving a handful of items (admittedly they could all be minor) for the V9 (or whatever) update.

I think 9 will bring some changes to the UI to support things that have been hinted at like "360" view when parking and a dashcam facility. Maybe some changes to the M3 UI for homologation outside of the US/Canada.

Also (IMO), the FSD featurettes will need a revision to the Autopilot UI. Things like auto overtake and exiting the freeway would work better (for the driver) if the UI showed an arrow graphic to explain what the car was about to do. Otherwise the driver will just take control thinking that AP is being flaky.

A UI change like below for displaying what FSD cameras are seeing and classifying with a grayed out menu, is considered rolling out FSD features.

upload_2018-7-24_9-55-53.png

Similarly, a nice 360 degree surround view is also one kind of FSD feature since this uses all 8 cameras.

But either way the car still don't drive for you. Is my guess right!?

Of course they mean something. I don't think anyone is denying that. Which is why Tesla definitely needs to deliver something substantive for FSD or face potential legal troubles. I personally would prefer to see Tesla deliver something good rather than see them lose millions in a lawsuit.

As a FSD purchaser, at this point it would be worth the money I spent to just have the AP nag go away for the FSD option.

This is a great question that I don't think has anything to do with this particular thread?

I'm pretty sure it's just GPS, but I could be wrong.

I believe it has something to do with FSD when you need a great accuracy of location.

"So far we've used the US GPS (Global Positioning System) which is accurate up to a few metres. Galileo has the potential to offer accuracy up to a few centimetres." That will make the difference for FSD.

Reactions: Superendo
Realistically, though, based off past experience, we'd see an EAP odd-build rollout to a small handful of TeslaFi cars (5 or so)…. and about a month later a public release. During that time, someone talks to Electrek and we get a sneak preview of the feature set.

Until that happens I don't expect that one day we wake up and see 9.0 rolling out.

I believe it has something to do with FSD when you need a great accuracy of location.

"So far we've used the US GPS (Global Positioning System) which is accurate up to a few metres. Galileo has the potential to offer accuracy up to a few centimetres." That will make the difference for FSD.
FSD should not depend on GPS to that extent that it requires it to be more precise than a few meters. That would imply a static system that handles changes bad, and it would also "hide" problems that the vision system should have detected.