Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Build v9.0 2018.44.2 3b2a5c3 - Cold Weather Improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made things worse for me. Can’t unplug my charge cable now. Lovely

My car was plugged in yesterday when i did the update. After the update completed I tried to unplug the wall connector but it wouldn’t release. I tried hitting the connector unlock both in the app and inside the car but to no avail. The light on the charging port showed as red and there were a few error messages on the screen in the car. I tried rebooting and powering off the car but that didn’t help. I finally used the manual release which is in the trunk ( there are videos on YouTube showing how to use it) and that allowed me to remove the charging cable. A couple minutes later the error messages on the screen went away. This all happened in my garage at temperatures well above freezing.

My car was plugged in yesterday when i did the update. After the update completed I tried to unplug the wall connector but it wouldn’t release. I tried hitting the connector unlock both in the app and inside the car but to no avail. The light on the charging port showed as red and there were a few error messages on the screen in the car. I tried rebooting and powering off the car but that didn’t help. I finally used the manual release which is in the trunk ( there are videos on YouTube showing how to use it) and that allowed me to remove the charging cable. A couple minutes later the error messages on the screen went away. This all happened in my garage at temperatures well above freezing.

I’m experiencing the same thing. I’m sure this is going to get fixed but I want to hear what tesla support says about it. On the line with them waiting now but I may pull the manual if I have to leave.

My car was garaged at 7°C and plugged in during the update. When it was time to leave, the charge cable could not be released using the regular means (button on handle, screen options, reboot etc). I had to use the manual release.

If this is an anomaly because of the upgrade process I'll let it go. Has this happened to people multiple times?

Not loving the 'improvements'.

I was unable to remove the EVSE handle from the port today. Fiddling with the manual release did not allow me to remove the handle but after watching the above movie I think I was going about it wrong. I kept trying to pull the handle when the port light was white. It eventually came out when I pulled the manual release and disengaged the handle on the RED light.

My memory may be wrong that typical use lets me pull the plug when the port light is white but there is no doubt that removal using the manual release happens when the port light is red.

Can't say that I've experienced any of these issues myself....yet anyway. I tested a couple times when plugging in at work. the port locks with the car. I normally unlock it from the app when walking out of my office and haven't had any issues.

For those experiencing issues, please make sure you submit bug reports and call support to let them know what is happening.

Last edited:
I think it might be a good idea to hold off on the update if you are not experiencing the issues that the update was supposed to fix. That is what I am going with, for now anyways. There seem to be too many issues coming from the update. and I have not had any problems with the cold weather conditions so far. GlenM posted a great video about the emergency release for those that have their chargers stuck in the charging port. Hopefully the issues get resolved for everyone dealing with them.

Had to call roadside service about an hour ago. Got home from work and the car refused to lock in the charge cable.

Just a bunch of clicking noises and then a yellow T.

I had to take a hair dryer to the charge port to loosen up the little latch so the car would lock the cable.

Rediculous thing is that there was no moisture at all in the charge port.. was just -1C.

Pretty damn annoying!

And yes.. i have the 44.2 "improvements"

Had to call roadside service about an hour ago. Got home from work and the car refused to lock in the charge cable.

Just a bunch of clicking noises and then a yellow T.

I had to take a hair dryer to the charge port to loosen up the little latch so the car would lock the cable.

"

Weird, my cable never locks until the car starts charging. What cabin temperature do you run at?