Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware feature request - Option for Regen > 60 kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that if you go above 60kW your tires may not be able to hold traction and you could fishtail and loose control. Tesla probably already determined that 60kW is about the best you can do without sacrificing stability.

in some of the winter testing videos, they indicated the tesla gets a little squirmy on snow and ice while letting off the pedal.

if you dont believe me, pull the e-brake hard on a conventional car and see what happens :)

You should postpone your comments until you have driven the Model S.

There IS variable regen and it IS fairly strong - 60kW is plenty. It is only that some drivers wish for even more power. Some turn it off.

I have driven it. I suppose there is variability in two sense: you can change standard or low, and you can try to feather the accel pedal to have the little bit of range between 0 and 60.

But that is nothing compared to simply applying a variable amount of brake pedal to get a much bigger range of regen -- enough so that you virtually never have to use the brake pads.

I have driven it. I suppose there is variability in two sense: you can change standard or low, and you can try to feather the accel pedal to have the little bit of range between 0 and 60.

But that is nothing compared to simply applying a variable amount of brake pedal to get a much bigger range of regen -- enough so that you virtually never have to use the brake pads.
I still don't understand where you are coming from. I have all the regen I want with the accelerator pedal. I've driven a Tesla now for almost three years and love the one pedal driving with regen on the accelerator pedal. Also I almost never use the breaks because it doesn't take more than a week to learn to control your speed with this method. More regen might be nice but putting it in the brake is not something I'd want at this point.

To answer the OP's question: going through my driving data I can find regen as high as 67kW (that's getting off the accelerator at 104mph).
Good idea, dirkhh. Here's the highest regen I could quickly find in my logs:
1373253078906,108,9613.9,74,21,210,35.219367,-120.693758,-74,D,185,183
It tapered off from -74 to -66 (and then dropped significantly after that) over 32 samples (8 seconds), with a speed drop from 108mph to 86mph.

Good idea, dirkhh. Here's the highest regen I could quickly find in my logs:
1373253078906,108,9613.9,74,21,210,35.219367,-120.693758,-74,D,185,183
It tapered off from -74 to -66 (and then dropped significantly after that) over 32 samples (8 seconds), with a speed drop from 108mph to 86mph.
Hwy 101 South of San Louis Obispo... perfect spot for going 108mph... :)

108mph.png

Nice data...

So clearly regen will spike higher than 60 in extreme conditions (i.e. 100MPH+ decelerations)... but it appears that the system aims to limit it to ~60 for most "non-closed course":wink: situations.

My request is that greater regen be available at common speeds if it's possible for the vehicle to do it technically.