TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Firmware feature request - Option for Regen > 60 kW?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by scaesare, Jul 25, 2013.

1. AC1K

AC1K Member

Keep in mind that if you go above 60kW your tires may not be able to hold traction and you could fishtail and loose control. Tesla probably already determined that 60kW is about the best you can do without sacrificing stability.

in some of the winter testing videos, they indicated the tesla gets a little squirmy on snow and ice while letting off the pedal.

if you dont believe me, pull the e-brake hard on a conventional car and see what happens :)

2. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

I have driven it. I suppose there is variability in two sense: you can change standard or low, and you can try to feather the accel pedal to have the little bit of range between 0 and 60.

But that is nothing compared to simply applying a variable amount of brake pedal to get a much bigger range of regen -- enough so that you virtually never have to use the brake pads.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I still don't understand where you are coming from. I have all the regen I want with the accelerator pedal. I've driven a Tesla now for almost three years and love the one pedal driving with regen on the accelerator pedal. Also I almost never use the breaks because it doesn't take more than a week to learn to control your speed with this method. More regen might be nice but putting it in the brake is not something I'd want at this point.

4. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

To answer the OP's question: going through my driving data I can find regen as high as 67kW (that's getting off the accelerator at 104mph).

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Good idea, dirkhh. Here's the highest regen I could quickly find in my logs:
    It tapered off from -74 to -66 (and then dropped significantly after that) over 32 samples (8 seconds), with a speed drop from 108mph to 86mph.

6. dirkhh

Hwy 101 South of San Louis Obispo... perfect spot for going 108mph... :)

108mph.png

7. dirkhh

BTW, here's an energy plot of the acceleration and regen that I found in my data plot. Providing the information this way keeps open the possibility that this was done on a closed course like a race track :)

EnergyPlot.png

8. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Nice data...

So clearly regen will spike higher than 60 in extreme conditions (i.e. 100MPH+ decelerations)... but it appears that the system aims to limit it to ~60 for most "non-closed course":wink: situations.

My request is that greater regen be available at common speeds if it's possible for the vehicle to do it technically.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Sometimes the GPS data gets messed up. Doug_G said so. :)

10. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Excellent suggestion, and thorough. In my test drive of the Model S the main thing I wished for was the option of stronger regen in situations like those described.

11. billarnett

billarnett Member

Well here we are almost two years later and we now have AWD but still no option for stronger regen. I can't understand why Tesla thinks it's OK to have "Insane" acceleration but still limits us to what I can only describe as "wimpy" regen braking.

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Especially when other BEVs like the i3 can come to a complete stop using regen alone.