Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Merged two 2018.12 threads together.

Not targeting anyone in particular with this next comment: These firmware threads tend to get a little chatty with messages of the form "I got something, I'll you know what it is when I install it". These don't really add much value to the discussion (partially because at that point in the update cycle there's no way of knowing what version is to be installed!). Once you've actually applied the update in your car, that would be a good time to share anything useful you've found (e.g. release notes).

Thanks,

Bruce.
Bruce, thank you for this message. I like many others skip, do not read, any messages that say:
  • I just got a new release
  • I am downloading it now
  • I don't know what is in the new release but I will let you know later
  • I am still on X.X.X release and hope I get the new release soon
  • I don't have the latest release
  • etc., etc., etc.
It would be great if all the people sending the above messages would wait until they drive the car to give us some meaningful information, videos, etc. on how the new release performs.

No Model 3's on ev-fw or TeslaFi with 2018.12 yet. Are we sure that was the release for them? We had one thread where someone was sure he had 2018.12.5 and the 5 was part of the hashcode. Had to post a screen shot to clear that one up.

And I posted a link to Teslarati that said 2018.12 was the 'speed up the old MCUs' release. That may have been lost in the merge...

I also don't know about the same release (number) on the old X/S and 3's. If so, it would seem to be the first time of doing so. Maybe the new MCU2 and the 3, but even that doesn't seem to have happened yet. But hard to say what's going on with the release numbers.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yeah, it seems like the Model 3 has been going quickly on 2018.10.5 (53 in the past 4 days, though none today) while the S&X are on 2018.12 (42 in the last 2 days.)

My guess is that 2018.12 is a combination of the MCU1 speed up and a pre-requisite for the navigation release that starts this weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Installed 18.12 and attempted a local road which has a few 20 MPH dogleg curves. At set speeds of 25 to 30 MPH, the car was okay in one direction, slowing slightly 2-6 MPH in the turns. However, reversing the route, it ran on the double yellow lines and I had to disengage due to a bad road surface between the lines, and in one case due to oncoming traffic and I wasn't comfortable running on the line.

This is the first time I've had the MS on this road, so can't compare with earlier releases. However, based on earlier releases on other roads, there is no way I would have trusted AS on this road in the past. I have a really good feeling about 18.12 and have to run it on my test highway with long sweeping curves which prior releases hugged the lines at speed.

One major change I noticed with 18.12: Usually AS couldn't be re-engaged after a disengagement for a few seconds, however I was able to turn it back on almost immediately. Needs more testing on all road types.

I have video but have to clean it up some before posting.

I can't speak to the navigation changes with 18.12 as I relied on Waze in the past, because, well, you know...

Installed 18.12 and attempted a local road which has a few 20 MPH dogleg curves. At set speeds of 25 to 30 MPH, the car was okay in one direction, slowing slightly 2-6 MPH in the turns. However, reversing the route, it ran on the double yellow lines and I had to disengage due to a bad road surface between the lines, and in one case due to oncoming traffic and I wasn't comfortable running on the line.

This is the first time I've had the MS on this road, so can't compare with earlier releases. However, based on earlier releases on other roads, there is no way I would have trusted AS on this road in the past. I have a really good feeling about 18.12 and have to run it on my test highway with long sweeping curves which prior releases hugged the lines at speed.

One major change I noticed with 18.12: Usually AS couldn't be re-engaged after a disengagement for a few seconds, however I was able to turn it back on almost immediately. Needs more testing on all road types.

I have video but have to clean it up some before posting.

I can't speak to the navigation changes with 18.12 as I relied on Waze in the past, because, well, you know...
A lot of that is the same as 10.4, which you say you didn't have. Including the speed of AP re-engagement. Did you notice if the speed of the MCU (maps, browser (dunno if this was changed much), menu interaction), was improved?

A lot of that is the same as 10.4, which you say you didn't have. Including the speed of AP re-engagement. Did you notice if the speed of the MCU (maps, browser (dunno if this was changed much), menu interaction), was improved?

Never said I didn't have 10.4. I had 10.4 for about 10 days, but haven't used it much for various reasons. Hadn't used AS with 10.4, and don't recall reading the re-engagement change. Thanks for the info.

Sorry, MCU speed means little to me: I don't use it while driving, menu's are fast enough that it's not a big deal (to me) and I only interact with any menu's while not moving. Old school I guess; My eyes are on the road.

I need to drive on a few roads where I know the map tiles refresh, and there's a noticeable lag, before I can say for sure it's faster. Hopefully a moot point after this weekend, or whenever the light years ahead time warp happened and we get the new system turned on.

In Oregon only double solid is a no-go:
"Solid white line – Used for an edge or fog line to help drivers to stay on the road. "
and
"Wide solid white line – Used to direct traffic into specific lanes, such as turn lanes, and to separate bike lanes from other traffic lanes. Crossing a wide solid white line is permitted but discouraged."
and
"Double solid white line - Means you are not allowed to change lanes. Stay in your lane."

Especially when it's reinforced with a regulatory sign, DO NOT CROSS DOUBLE WHITE LINE, in plain black and white.

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP
Never said I didn't have 10.4. I had 10.4 for about 10 days, but haven't used it much for various reasons. Hadn't used AS with 10.4, and don't recall reading the re-engagement change. Thanks for the info.

Sorry, MCU speed means little to me: I don't use it while driving, menu's are fast enough that it's not a big deal (to me) and I only interact with any menu's while not moving. Old school I guess; My eyes are on the road.

I need to drive on a few roads where I know the map tiles refresh, and there's a noticeable lag, before I can say for sure it's faster. Hopefully a moot point after this weekend, or whenever the light years ahead time warp happened and we get the new system turned on.
Ah, gotcha, misread your 'can't compare' line. :)

I have no idea if Elon 'speed things up' meant the maps would render more quickly or not. Or what would be better... And, exactly, would that be touched if we're getting new ones!

Ah, gotcha, misread your 'can't compare' line. :)

I have no idea if Elon 'speed things up' meant the maps would render more quickly or not. Or what would be better... And, exactly, would that be touched if we're getting new ones!

FWIW, vector maps can be brutally intense to render for systems with less-capable GPUs (e.g. lacking support for various accelerated operations) and memory-constrained systems.

So hopefully Elon doesn't just mean the new maps on MCU1 are less slow than they would've otherwise been. Or maybe this is what our Taiwanese friend is saying -- in their country where they've been using Tesla maps all along, it used to be even slower on MCU1.

Or maybe it means this is not actually the super accelerated MCU1 software update, but the initial Tesla Maps rollout will be with an older rendering engine.

FWIW, vector maps can be brutally intense to render for systems with less-capable GPUs (e.g. lacking support for various accelerated operations) and memory-constrained systems.

So hopefully Elon doesn't just mean the new maps on MCU1 are less slow than they would've otherwise been. Or maybe this is what our Taiwanese friend is saying -- in their country where they've been using Tesla maps all along, it used to be even slower on MCU1.

Or maybe it means this is not actually the super accelerated MCU1 software update, but the initial Tesla Maps rollout will be with an older rendering engine.
Yeah, this may be the hidden 'reason' behind the 'yeah, and we're speeding up the MCU1, also!' line. Since if they don't, it will suck even more!

What a moving target....

• Informative
Reactions: LS..
Bruce, thank you for this message. I like many others skip, do not read, any messages that say:
  • I just got a new release
  • I am downloading it now
  • I don't know what is in the new release but I will let you know later
  • I am still on X.X.X release and hope I get the new release soon
  • I don't have the latest release
  • etc., etc., etc.
It would be great if all the people sending the above messages would wait until they drive the car to give us some meaningful information, videos, etc. on how the new release performs.

AKA Tesla firmware foreplay

2018.12 is way better. Handles turns smoothly. Path plans. Sees vehicles cutting you off and displays on IC like lane changes. Ap2.

Edit sees 2 cars ahead at 75moh

I just drove it 200 miles and I absolutely agree. Lane changes are super smooth, it also "sees" the spped of the traffic in the lane and will either just slide over, speed up, or slow down while sliding. I felt much more comfortable allowing the car to handle this maneuver. ZERO ping pong, onramps and offramps do not make the car freak out a little.

Granted, I only had 700 miles on the 10.4, but this is much better.