Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So does 2018.12 have Tesla Maps update or not? Electrek just reported it does First look at Tesla’s new navigation engine
It does not (at least now), that article is misleading - Tesla Maps did not come with the update, @BigD0g download the map data and enabled it manually. What knowledgeable people are reporting, Tesla can enable new maps without fw download - just a switch in config files that they can trigger, although, the map data needs to be downloaded first which is also separate from firmware

It looks like some changes may have happened to TuneIn. Some podcasts which wouldn't play at all now play. Oddly, it's only some episodes which work...for example, the latest (March 29th) episode of "Stuff You Should Know" now works, where this podcast hadn't worked at all for some time. Earlier episodes of the same podcast don't work though.

No changes I can see for Slacker, sorry. It hasn't had very bad bugs for me (other than always repeating songs from the start)
I'm a big stuff you should know fan so thanks for the info. It's been annoying me for a while that it wouldn't play via tunein.

The videos on electrek for the maps are labeled AP2. The videos show that vehicles in the adjacent lanes are showing up. So is the video really in an AP1 car with map updates or are AP2 cars now updated with the adjacent lanes display?

The videos on electrek for the maps are labeled AP2. The videos show that vehicles in the adjacent lanes are showing up. So is the video really in an AP1 car with map updates or are AP2 cars now updated with the adjacent lanes display?

The videos are made by @BigD0g and there's a thread about it here: Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

I guess as he has root access to his car, he was able to tweak something so that adjacent cars are now displayed.

The person who took the video has rooted their car and enabled that feature. (It has been reported that it is in beta testing, but Tesla hasn't enabled it for non-testers yet.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Utahken
Some additional comments after 800 plus miles.

Nighttime me experience was spotty. During heavy rain autowipers were erratic and slow to respond and it resulted in AP bring confused and losing sight and driving crazily. Once it tried to take me into the next lane sharply and suddenly.

It did great in very very dense fog. Really helped me ensure I was ok. Kept a tight grip but did surprisingly well.

Nighttime greatly affected AP. Upstate NY didn't have the reflectors in the road nor did they use reflevtive paint so in rain, pooled on road, car kept losing lane lines and headlights confused it didn't help it. It was pretty much useless, just did TACC.

Overall best performance by AP 2 on this trip. Fifth round trip will be completed Wednesday next week. Started at 17.17.4 and 2018.12 had the fewest disengagements and most relaxing use.

Got my copy last night (seems to be a new habit, get it about 48 hours after it comes out, too late for me to see it!), and it took 45 minutes to load on top of 10.4. Seems like that is the new minimum, if it's really doing 'delta' code, with all the processing it has to do to swap partitions, etc.

Haven't had a chance to try it out, we will do so this weekend for sure to see if there's any change in, say, wide lane behavior, which is the one thing I'm waiting for.

I found wide lane behavior better, but I went from 2018.6.1 to 2018.12.

I do continue to get better efficiency than I did before the update. I did a round trip yesterday of about 15 miles and the trip odometer said 250 Wh/Mi when I returned. I also found vampire drain when the car was parked was much lower than it used to be. Yesterday the car was parked in the sun for 2 hours (though temps were in the low 60s) and vampire drain was almost nil. Before I would lose a few miles in that situation.

Even having been parked for 2 hours my total energy used beat EPA rating. That has never happened when I've gone somewhere and parked the car for more than a couple of minutes.

Another thing I've noticed is the instrument cluster tends to shut down and reboots when I get back in the car. The middle screen comes back right away when I get in the car, but the instrument cluster is black and shows the Tesla logo reboot when I hit the brake. The instrument cluster does seem to reboot much faster than it used to though. I suspect that is related to the lower vampire drain.

They also seem to have fixed a problem I was working with the local SC on. It seemed that when the car was parked in the garage with the mirrors folded, if Tesla contacted the car (like technicians reading the logs), the mirrors would deploy when I got in the car. I almost broke the right mirror one day when it happened and I didn't notice until it almost hit the garage door frame.

The mirrors would also deploy the first time I drove the car after a firmware update which is why I suspected it had something to do with contact from the mothership. This update, the mirrors did not deploy the first time I backed out of the garage after the update.

I dont think this is the case.

The Rachel Maddow show fails for me regardless of if i am using LTE or sitting in my garage on wifi. Interestingly, if you go into the full episode list, there are some visible from back in November which does actually play

That would be just about the definition of "old news". :)

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
We'd been on 2018.10 for what felt like an eternity. Having to read through pages of positive comments about the AP upgrades without being able to experience it was rough! I finally gave in and called Tesla's national support number.

They were immediately able to determine that new firmware downloads had been attempted several times but were failing due to the wi-fi connection. We were getting a solid 3 bars in the garage, but I guess that wasn't good enough. I moved the router to a spot where we got a full 5 bars and notified Tesla. They pushed the firmware again and within an hour we got the prompt to install. Yay!

So for anyone who has been having trouble getting 2018.12, try moving your router. Apparently a measly 3-bar signal is not adequate for downloading this latest update.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
So for anyone who has been having trouble getting 2018.12, try moving your router. Apparently a measly 3-bar signal is not adequate for downloading this latest update.
I'm unconvinced that altering your wifi can speed up you getting an update. If the wifi is stable and the car isn't constantly disconnecting then it doesn't matter how many bars it has; wifi is definitely not going to be rate limiting the download initiating. Once it starts downloading it finishes downloading. I've gotten downloads in the very first batch and others in the very last batch to update while always being 3 bar or less. If you got yours faster it's because you pestered the service centre.

q1w2e3r4.JPG

"Guidance and labels match real-world and highway signs whenever possible"
Reading that one would think that AP2 is able to read signs... maybe they're relying on all the AP1 cars out there to update their database of signage for everyone else. /s Sigh.

This just means that the GPS and Maps update will now show signs when approaching certain roads. The car/cameras aren't reading them just the GPS displaying them in the Instrument Cluster.

• Informative
Reactions: Robotpedlr
Odd, I didn't get those release notes when I installed 18.12.

As I mentioned upthread, here's the video. Again, I've never driven this road before, so I can not compare with earlier releases. I just know they would fail, except for perhaps 10.4?

Finally, the reverse route ran over the center lines twice, and I had to disengage. It was overcast, so no strong shadows either way. Needs further test runs I guess.