Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what's been said here and elsewhere, if you have the new maps active, the release notes should have the extra text saying so. Does yours have that?

I thought I might have it active after two days of the car 'processing' the new release, but no such luck. (No maps and nothing added to the release notes.)
The maps update took me THREE DAYS on strong wifi. They suddenly they showed up with a "New Maps" message and yes they are very cool.

So we garage our 2 Teslas deep underground at both Home and Work with no WiFi but surprisingly great LTE. One car was at SC yesterday but they refused to load the maps update, saying “be patient.” Any thoughts on how to get this update, short of parking our cars on the street at night (bad idea where we live - guaranteed breakin) with our cell phone creating a WiFi hotspot?

Root your car and transfer the data over the debug port. ;)

If it took 3 days on strong WiFi your ISP sucks. Even the crappy car WiFi won’t take three days to download 5g at 1 mb/s, hours tops unless your on dial up or a dsl line....
All you have to do is multiply.. :D

1 Mb (megabit, not byte) per second. Even at that rate, it comes out to about half a GB (Giga BYTE) in an hour. That's why I was saying no matter the speed and processing, it shouldn't take days to download this unless something is really going on, like it's resetting and starting over again and again.

(1 Mb/second X 3600 seconds/hour/ 8 bits/byte = 450 MegaBytes in an hour. So over 10 GB (10.8) in a day.

And that's at 1 MegaBIT speed!

This is how people got anything done back in the day of dialup (1200/2400/9600 bits/second) :D

All you have to do is multiply.. :D

1 Mb (megabit, not byte) per second. Even at that rate, it comes out to about half a GB (Giga BYTE) in an hour. That's why I was saying no matter the speed and processing, it shouldn't take days to download this unless something is really going on, like it's resetting and starting over again and again.

(1 Mb/second X 3600 seconds/hour/ 8 bits/byte = 450 MegaBytes in an hour. So over 10 GB (10.8) in a day.

And that's at 1 MegaBIT speed!

This is how people got anything done back in the day of dialup (1200/2400/9600 bits/second) :D

Yes I know, and I also know I did the install / 2x in one evening so..... someone’s stuck on aol with a 56k connection :)

Yes I know, and I also know I did the install / 2x in one evening so..... someone’s stuck on aol with a 56k connection :)
Lol... perhaps, and that calculation wasn't meant for *you*, it was to prove to others not so computer-literate how much time we are talking about with even a slow connection.

I've been proving to users for too many years that files will take more or less than the time they think it will to transfer to here from there. :D

I really need to get a better wifi router. I just upgraded to Orbi, and it has no way to measure data usage for one device. Arg!

Reactions: BigD0g
I really need to get a better wifi router. I just upgraded to Orbi, and it has no way to measure data usage for one device. Arg!
Google home is a good mesh alternative! Helps me keep tabs on how much interwebs my stuff is eating! Screenshot_20180401-144646.png Screenshot_20180401-144652.png

Reactions: croman
Google home is a good mesh alternative! Helps me keep tabs on how much interwebs my stuff is eating! View attachment 291022 View attachment 291023
Don't want to hijack this thread and get Bruce mad at me.. :D But I did look at google's alternative... Don't recall why I went for Orbi; I think (like Tesla) they may be adding features as we go along.

Edit: Found why I didn't get the Google WiFi and adding it here in case it's of use to users of Verizon FiOS: It doesn't do bridge mode if you want more than one AP unit, which is the whole point of a mesh Wifii network. You normally want to bridge when adding a different WiFI to a FiOS router to use the same network (address space) and to keep the WiFi devices separate from the DVR MoCA network. If you have no idea what I mean, you don't have FiOS and TiVos. :D

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
Correct. On my SC appointment last week, they "side-loaded" the latest firmware update... which I installed that later that evening at home when prompted by the Tesla app an update was available.

we had the opposite happen. Our car went to the SC with 2018.6 and came back with 2018.10 (not 10.x.. just .10.. and I anxiously awaiting something newer... but that's a different topic)

So, I think it depends on the people sitting at the SC.

Reactions: MelaniainLA