Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had experience pushing back your order once you're assigned a vin? My estimated delivery is end of month to early November, and I'm wondering if I should push back delivery, or just wait to get the vin and then make a decision.
I have. You can just call Tesla or let your SA(if you have one) know you want to decline the VIN. They will put your order on hold until whatever date you’re ready to replace the order. Just be cautious that wait times are only getting longer, so I wouldn’t push back too long or you could have to wait until mid-2022.

Has anyone had experience pushing back your order once you're assigned a vin? My estimated delivery is end of month to early November, and I'm wondering if I should push back delivery, or just wait to get the vin and then make a decision.
I have the same question. I’ve heard people talk about pushing back their delivery date. What exactly is that and what are the options?

I have. You can just call Tesla or let your SA(if you have one) know you want to decline the VIN. They will put your order on hold until whatever date you’re ready to replace the order. Just be cautious that wait times are only getting longer, so I wouldn’t push back too long or you could have to wait until mid-2022.
So just to clarify, pushing back the order means that you’re starting the order process all over again with the current leadtimes. Example, if my current delivery date is end of October to November and I pushed it back it would move to the April timeframe currently estimated?

So just to clarify, pushing back the order means that you’re starting the order process all over again with the current leadtimes. Example, if my current delivery date is end of October to November and I pushed it back it would move to the April timeframe currently estimated?
Yes, you go to the back of the line and re-enter the order queue when you go into your account and press "I'm Ready." It's essentially creating a whole new order. There's a lot of factors that go into it like your location, your trim(LR or Perf), and if you've filled out all the preliminary information.

For example, I reordered on 9/25 when it said wait times were into November/December, but I'm scheduled to get my car between 10/17 and 10/23 with a VIN, so you just never know for sure.

It doesn't look like they're following the same rules as last year for the VIN switchover.

@DfwGuy as I understand it, last year was actually the exception and normally they switch over at or near the actual new year. Since Tesla is routinely making changes during every model year, it really is a bit arbitrary where they decide to draw the line in the sand.

• Disagree
Reactions: PNWLeccy
@DfwGuy as I understand it, last year was actually the exception and normally they switch over at or near the actual new year. Since Tesla is routinely making changes during every model year, it really is a bit arbitrary where they decide to draw the line in the sand.
Yup, it's more for a resale value boost, but if you plan on keeping it 5+ years, like I do, I don't think it will matter too much.

Reactions: Luka816
Until model year 2020, the model year changed over with the calendar year. Around ~10/20/2019, 2020 VINs started appearing. On 10/5/2020, 2021 VINs started appearing.

This seemed to indicate that Tesla had made the shift to introducing the next model year in Q4 of the current year, like most other car companies, rather than on January 1st, like they had done up to 2020 model year.

I had hoped that 22' VINs would appear early in October/Q4 but I still expect them to happen at some point this month, if it is following the most recent trend.

Until model year 2020, the model year changed over with the calendar year. Around ~10/20/2019, 2020 VINs started appearing. On 10/5/2020, 2021 VINs started appearing.

This seemed to indicate that Tesla had made the shift to introducing the next model year in Q4 of the current year, like most other car companies, rather than on January 1st, like they had done up to 2020 model year.

I had hoped that 22' VINs would appear early in October/Q4 but I still expect them to happen at some point this month, if it is following the most recent trend.
I bought a Prius Prime in August that was a 22 :D I think they started rolling out in July

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Tesla isn’t going to “wait” closer to end of 2021 to switch VINs. Im sure its not some arbitrary decision where a guy is sitting around with a whiteboard ready to give the command when they feel appropriate. Theres a set number of 2021 cars they planned in their scheduling, once they have made those - it’ll switch to 2022. Like others said, Tesla updates mid year with things so resale will always be wonky with these cars since “new” owners should look at vin ranges rather than model years.

... Like others said, Tesla updates mid year with things so resale will always be wonky with these cars since “new” owners should look at vin ranges rather than model years.
This might hold true for buyers who have visited Tesla forums or have spoken to Tesla people about it... but for the average Joe looking to buy their first Tesla used, if all things are equal (mileage, color, features, condition, etc.), most would opt for the one that's one year newer and would more than likely be willing to pay a little more for it. The average Joe won't be looking at VIN ranges.

This might hold true for buyers who have visited Tesla forums or have spoken to Tesla people about it... but for the average Joe looking to buy their first Tesla used, if all things are equal (mileage, color, features, condition, etc.), most would opt for the one that's one year newer and would more than likely be willing to pay a little more for it. The average Joe won't be looking at VIN ranges.
Also websites like Carvana, Vroom, or pretty much any dealer who buys cars looks at model year, not VIN range.