Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Model S forum:

Looks like there is a split now for the first 3 digits. Unless i missed this already happening.

5YJ = Manufacturer: Tesla Inc., Vehicle Type: Passenger Car (Designated for Model S & Model 3)
7SA = Manufacturer: Tesla Inc., Vehicle Type: MPV (Designated for Model X & Model Y)

Why does Tesla want S & 3 VINs to look completely different from X & Y VINs?

Reactions: impastu
Looks like Tesla has reclassified the X and Y as MPV's - either Multi-purpose vehicles or Multi-passenger vehicles. I don't know how else this change impacts anything else though.
There is the issue of proposed EV tax credits, for which the qualifying price cap is significantly lower for sedans than for SUVs. However, there is some debate about whether MY qualifies as an SUV based on arcane federal regulations. In any case it doesn't seem like this should be affected by whether Tesla defines it one way or another in the VIN encoding.

Looks like Tesla has reclassified the X and Y as MPV's - either Multi-purpose vehicles or Multi-passenger vehicles. I don't know how else this change impacts anything else though.
They already have a digit for model number, right? Does any other manufacturer changes VIN WMI by vehicle type.

I guess this makes it completely clear which MSRP limit applies to Model Ys in possibly upcoming tax credit legislation. 5YJ = 55k limit. 7SA = 69k limit. :)

No, I want the increased RESALE VALUE, that the 2022 VIN printed on my title would bring (vs. a “2021” printed on the title)….
Not necessarily how it works with Tesla.
In 2018, model S owners got a mid year surprise with a new MCU chip and hardware to make the screen interface faster. Prior to all 2017 and half of 2018, all models had the old MCU1. The value for a late a 2017 100D vs an early MCU1 2018 is literally the same even today. The newer MCU2 models have some increased value. Whats interesting in that example is the older model S actually had 72amp onboard charging while the ‘updated mcu2’ version had only 48amp.
So you receive something and you give something up.

In MY terms, we could see early 2022 configurations identical to 2021 …and somewhere mid 2022, out comes the new single body frame/4680. Those will benefit the most on resale.

Surprised also! Ordered White/White, 19” wheels, hitch on 09/23/2021.
Just received vin # 7SAYGDEE3NF……
& delivery date to Peabody, Ma from 11/16-11/20. Talked to Tesla rep. About this & my concerns about missing ev tax credits on the proposed delivery date. As you might expect, not much help or advice. However, could assign my vin to another & I would have until 12/22/2021 to have new vin assigned. Could be immediately or sometime in the future. Good news is you keep your current purchase price,.
My suspicion on the freeing up of this vin to me is that folks are declining taking delivery
because of when the ev tax credit start date.
Quandary, but a little time to think about it.
Also, should be interesting to see what my new trade value will be given the prior one has expired.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc